The Official Spring Jamboree May 16-18, 2014 Announcement

No. There were some sulphers on Penns, but they seemed to be a minority within that blizzard. There were plenty of caddis and MB's, but they seemed to be tuned into the MB's. There may have even been a few Hendricksons around.

And I started with a 16 rusty spinner, to little effect. Things noticably picked up when I switched to size 12's and 10's. You really didn't need anything other than rusty spinners there. We fished Penns 2 nights and both were very similar. We did pretty well.

On Sat. we went to Spring and it was all about sulfurs there. And by numbers, anyway, we did REALLY well.

Yes, it was an epic jam. Great stream conditions + great weather + great company + great food + great drink and the hatches were on, and the fish were on them. I got the appropriate "strong, lasting buzz" without ever going over the edge. It just doesn't get any better. I had like a permanent grin on my face all weekend. My cheeks actually hurt after I got home, lol.

For anyone looking for a place to sleep for the jam... myself, mario66pens, & Dc410 have an extra bunk in cabin #73. We have it from Friday evening to Sunday mid day sometime. The cost would be a modest $40.00 for the weekend. If interested shoot any one of us a pm. Thanks, Jack.

The bunk is no longer available.

Hey all! Reserved an RV spot for the weekend. I know I'm a newb, but if there's anyway I can help, let me know. Also, what related cost is there?

Slow,

Not much. You got your site. You generally fend for yourself like if you were camping alone.

Possible add-ons (all optional)

1. They usually appreciate a little help buying firewood for the group fire at the pavilion. But, we're talking 50-100 guys and 1 campfire for 2 nights, so this is hardly breaking the bank.

2. Saturday night there's a feast. A few years back it was just a couple guys making chili, but has turned into a big pot-luck thing. Bringing a dish is appreciated, even if it's just chips or something. A thread will surely start up a few weeks prior with the food everyone's bringing.

One of the difficulties here is timing. We fish till dark or after, walk out, de-wader, and often have a half hour drive or more to get back to the campsite. So lots of guys pulling in at 10 p.m. and after, and the peak food time soon follows. If making something on the spot, not much time to prepare. But you could make a cold dish ahead of time, put on a crockpot before going fishing, or whatever. Or forget the main meal time, but instead supply a snack on Friday evening or for the late night partiers on Saturday.

The pavilion will have electricity, a gas grill, and a fire.

3. Related to #2, sharing of interesting drinks is also encouraged.

4. There are raffles Saturday night. Members and sponsors donate gear to the cause. We buy tickets. They pull names out of a hat.

P.S. I have confirmed I have the entire week prior off work. I don't know exactly when I'm coming, that will depend on domestic responsibilities.

But I'll certainly have the better part of a week up there. So if anyone else is going up earlier in the week let me know.

I'll be headin out Thursday morning

pcray is right. All you need to do is provide for yourself, but if you want to join others in a voluntary sharing of food or beverages, you are welcome to do so. No one is expected or compelled to participate in the raffle, but it is a lot of fun and some really terrific and unique donations are made to help raise a small kitty. The organizers use the money to pay for the pavilion rental, firewood, and perhaps ice cubes, and any excess has been donated to worthy causes.

So, as interest is piquing, I thought I'd add a little more:

PAFF does not treat this event as something it is "putting on." From its inception, is was always just a group of like-minded fly anglers agreeing to meet at a campground for fun and fishing.

As the event grew, it became necessary to consolidate the planning and the moderators and board owner decided to band together to establish the time and place. This was just for simplicity, because attendance became more wide-spread among relative strangers.

Just by the nature of the beast PAFF and its agents and volunteers has tried to maintain the event as a voluntary association of individuals. We don't negotiate rentals and we cannot guaranty behavior of those that attend. The last thing the board owner and moderators want is to be responsible for the activities of persons who join.

The pavilion is rented by the organizers and it is hoped that anyone gathering there will respect proper decorum and the rules and regulations of the host campground. We have never had to deal with a serious issue in this regard.

Plan your trip, provide for yourself, join or not join in the gatherings that are facilitated by the pavilion rental.

Pat – I'm off Thursday and Friday. My current plan is to pack the truck Wednesday night and head up early Thursday morning, fish a spot or two on the way, and get to the campground with enough daylight left to set up camp. Probably won’t fish in the evening Thursday. If you’re up there early, or are heading up Thursday we could maybe plan to fish Thursday. I’ve had nice days on the same stream the last two years on the way up, but it’s a small freestoner and flow dependent obviously. If flows are low, I may just hit the J for Smallies on the way up. Let me know what you think, PM if you prefer.

Pat,
Ed and I will be staying that the campground for the whole week Sunday to Sunday (11th-18th). Get ahold of us if your looking for someone to fish with.

I'm officially off Thursday and Friday, and will be arriving at some point on Thursday afternoon. My plan is to actually drive up to Cross Fork on Thursday AM to blow some buckage at Kettle Creek Tackle, and then be at the campground afternoon on Thursday.

I'll be good to fish in the evening that whole week.

Brian make sure you hit me up.

Awesome! I'm super stoked now.

mario66pens wrote:
I'll be good to fish in the evening that whole week.

You won't have to fish by yourself. :-D

Well, my timing will depend on parenting responsibilities.

If all goes as I hope, I'd be arriving Monday most likely. But this will likely require grandparent help, which have their own schedules that I'll have to work around, and are all 3+ hours away. So TBD. I also have a buddy coming, but his schedule is up in the air too. He'll come when he comes.

For anyone that doesn't know me, I'll be in a canvas tent. It'll be the only canvas tent there, I'm sure.

I will say one thing. If I end up with a week's worth of fire rings with Ed and Da Dog before the full cavalry arrives, I'll be seriously partied out. And some health concerns have me on an alcohol limit that will be hard to comply with....

i'll be up Thursday night, leaving wilmington DE around 3pm so i hope to catch an hour on the water maybe.

foodwise, i'll bring some buns and Irish Bacon for bacon butties for breakfast.

i will trade for a decent cup of Joe :O) - do i need to bring a skillet for the bacon etc ?

cheers

Mark.

I booked my RV site and will be arriving sometime Friday. Looking forward to it!

geebee wrote:

i will trade for a decent cup of Joe :O) - do i need to bring a skillet for the bacon etc ?

cheers

Mark.

Mark, we usually have a couple coffee urns going in the AMs at the pavilion, paid from the kitty. It would be wise to bring everything you need for yourself and your crew. Coffee cups and fixins can get scarce, so having what you need to hold and add to your Jo is also wise, just in case. Also, if you are like me and need a cup as soon as you wake up, you might want to have some instant or a french press to get you started.

Attachments

• morningJo.jpg
    morningJo.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
Back