The Fly Fishing Show - Lancaster, PA. 2-3 March 2013

^gone fishing is right about that.

As far as meeting up after the show I'm with Geo. I'll be at the lancaster show from 9am-2pm and then at the DFCA show at Donegal High school from 4-8pm. Afterward I'd be up for some brews if anyone is meeting.

I was planning on coming out for the show, but having the flu a couple weeks back really put me behind schedule, so looks like I'm gonna miss it. bummer, was looking forward to some good food and beers!

I'm going to the show on Saturday.

Breakfast at 7:00? Yum, scrapple! Takes a year off your life, but it's worth it. But I'd have to leave West Chester at 6:00.

tl
les

lestrout wrote:
But I'd have to leave West Chester at 6:00.
tl
les

C'mon Les - hope you can make it.
I'll have to leave, probably, at 5:30.

Okay, it's on! I'm happy to invite anyone attending the Lancaster show to stop by my place Saturday evening for some brew, pizza & fishing BS session. I'll be at the show most of the afternoon, so may see some of you there.

I'm not going anywhere Saturday evening, so those of you attending the Donegal event are welcome to swing by afterwards. We'll be open until everyone leaves or the beer runs out. Mo might want to get a head start on the evening, so feel free to stop by anytime after 5pm.

I currently have the following on tap:

Lucky Lad Dry Irish Stout (think Guinness)
Leftover Rye IPA (dry hoppy IPA)
Bandito Gold Blonde Ale
Golden Buddha Ginger Ale
Double Blade Pale Ale (although this might kick before Sat)

I might put a Kolsch and/or a Dusseldorf Alt on depending on when the Pale kicks. All these brew are in the 4-6% ABV range, so nothing that will knock you on your butt. Also have some assorted brews in bottles (Saison, Pale, Autumn Amber), so there should be something for most palettes. Mo, you might like the Kolsch. It'll remind you of Rolling Rock (only better). Basically I have the beer equivalent of a well stocked fly box, although we might run out of the hot fly...

I'll order a couple of pizzas & we can add more if needed.

All are welcome.

tim

A few other suggestions for food/drink in downtown Lancaster:

Best coffee: Square One on Duke St. They roast on site. Walking distance to the CC about 3-4 blocks.

Best breakfast for the not so early crowd (they open at 9am on Sat/Sun): Rachel's Creperie on Queen St. Walking distance to the CC about 3-4 blocks.

Best Wings: American Bar & Grill. Good rotating craft beer selection. Close, but not walkable.

Decent local beer (brewed on site) & food:
Lancaster Brewing, Co. Walnut & Plum

Iron Hill on Harrisburg Pike (both beer & food a tad better than LBC) A little pricier. Bigger beer selection than LBC, although sometimes even though they have a dozen or more on tap I can't find anything I'm crazy about. But I'm a beer snob.

The Spring House Tap Room on King St. Walking distance from CC but the beer is, uh, well, uh, good if you like peanut butter & jelly beer or bubblegum or mango beer. Seriously.

Best craft beer selection & light fare (artisan pizzas & sandwiches): The Fridge on Mulberry. Hundreds of bottle selections & a handful of crafts on tap.

Very good sandwiches & good craft selection: Isaac's/The Pickle Bar. On Prince St. Walkable. Don't let the pink flamingos scare you off, the sandwiches are good.

Someone already mentioned Lancaster Dispensing & Annie Bailey's, both are good.

If it were me, I'd go:
Square One for coffee & a pastry
Isaacs for lunch
The Fridge (light pizza)or ABG (wings) or Lancaster Dispensing for dinner.

LOL. Tried a Pecan Sandy Porter at the Springhouse last weekend. Not a big Porter fan to begin with and didn't care for it. There selection last weekend was nothing to write home about. They seem to be trying a little too hard to come up withi more exotic flavors instead of sticking to things they're good at.

I'm not opposed to exotic flavors or unusual ingredients... as long as they work. In fact my most popular brew is sometimes referred to as "Nachos in a Bottle". It's got a little corn, mesquite honey, agave nectar, lime peel and a touch of tequila infused with mesquite-roasted jalapenos. That being said, it still tastes like beer -a mighty tasty beer!

I will be tying both days in the main hall. My name (Mike Marino) should be hanging above the table, so if you are in the area please say hello. I'll be tying 4 flys: Chunky muskrat caddis nymph, Beaver fluttering caddis, my new Capniidae stonefly nymph, and the ever popular Royal Wulff. Would be happy to tie any of these for you, or just chat if your tired of watching fly tying. I'll aslo be going to the Fly Fishing Film thing on Saturday night, so if anybody wants to grab a beer after let me know.
Mike.

I will be at the Neptune for breakfast @ 7:00 am.

Rick

gfoledc wrote:
Leaving State College at5:00
I'll be on that train. :-D

McSneek wrote:
They seem to be trying a little too hard to come up withi more exotic flavors instead of sticking to things they're good at.

Like ever other micro/craft brewery out there.

On topic - will be at the show saturday with my son.

Off topic

TimB wrote:

The Spring House Tap Room on King St. Walking distance from CC but the beer is, uh, well, uh, good if you like peanut butter & jelly beer or bubblegum or mango beer. Seriously.

I love the dark beers, porters and stouts, something you can really sink your teeth into. I really like them with the coffee and chocolate influences such as Troegs Javahead, but currently my favorite is the Big Gruesome Chocolate Peanut Butter stout from Spring House. It is just plain good. I also tried Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw but it didnt measure up.

I am looking forward to trying the Little Gruesome PBnJ stout. i think it has potential. TJ Rockwells used to serve something similar where they combined Guinness with Lindenmans Framboise lambic and it was pretty tasty.

Each to their own I guess, I am not a big fan of the IPA style beers.

Yeah, the cool thing is that there is something for everybody's tastes these days. I like porters, stouts, pales, Belgians, IPAs, ambers, browns, pilsners, blondes (ales)...

See you guys at the Neptune at 7 AM. Hope to meet many of you guys at the show if you are not coming for breakfast.

When it comes to micro brewery beer - I like 'em a bit hopped up.

I will be at the show in the afternoon.

I will be at Neptune at 7am, not the show though. I'm going fishing after the show. I haven't been out for the past few weeks, I want to spend my first (and last...for a while) day off fishing, not lookin' at stuff I want but can't afford!

I hope everybody has fun at the show. I went to Somerset show and came home with two rods. I can't afford to go to this one! For people looking for fly rods, if you get a good deal on the model of orvis rod you would like, buy it. Even if the size and length are wrong, they have the 30 day guarantee. As long as it comes from an Orvis dealer, they honor it. I have bought rods at extreme discounts and then returned them to orvis for the the lenght/weight that I wanted. FREE OF CHARGE! The guys at orvis know me very well and I always make sure to send emails to their managers on how great they are. Sugar works a lot better than Pepper, or whatever that saying is.

Back