STLHD JAM 2015 Oct 30 - Nov 2

Things are looking good gents!

me and the lanc lanc crew are chilling at RickinPA's house watching the Pens and caps sipping whiskey waiting to leave.

see you soon!

Thanks Norm. Looked at the Walnut gauge info this morning and it did shoot up. Water level came up a foot and a half which might even clear out some of the leaves. Coming back down already, but drive through more rain on the way to work this morning. Not a lot, but maybe enough to sustain a reasonable level for the weekend. Should be pretty good.

Drove over the Chagrin at a little after 4:00 yesterday, and it was up quite a bit. Ohio tribs should be in good shape this weekend.

See you tomorrow hopefully. Should, unless you are hiding or wearing an Amish Ghost costume.

We have an Alby sighting, looking forward to seeing you.
dave believe me, I wont be hiding. Gonna check things out after GG and Moose get up.

What are old guys doing sleeping in? Wake em up Norm.

Let them sleep. It's gonna be too windy to flyfish, and I doubt Art packed his Zebco.

Wind is blowing pretty good, gonna go do some scouting and see what happens. There is always cold beer too.

Hopefully the leaves are out to the lake...

Follies at 7am

See you guys there!

By the looks of things, the weather has and is cooperating nicely for you all. The webcam on Elk shows very nice levels this AM with slightly higher water yesterday. I suspect a decent influx of steel came in and are probably running well upstream by now. Cool and cloudy over the next couple days and a little more water late Saturday into Sunday AM is in the forecast. Best of luck; as much as I'd love to be there, I don't think I can make it.

Will leave my house tomorrow around 5AM. Is 7AM the meetup time for Folly's on Saturday?

P.S: Anyone catching fish???

I saw some pictures of TimRobinsin on Instagram and they seem to be doing pretty well.

You can see some of them here: https://instagram.com/keystoneflyguide/

Fished well today. Met up with TimB RickinPa Jefferson PatrickC and mucka.

Everyone caught fish. Several.

What a great day! Jefferson caught his first lake run brown and steelhead. Awesome time!

More. more, more!

We want to live vicariously.

We were fortunate to hit Elk in perfect conditions yesterday. Fresh hot fish throughout the lower creek. Today will still be good. Sadly, it's so dry it will be puddles again by Monday. Very frustrating early season. Glad we had the opportunity to hit one of the few good days. Still kinda ticked that Jefferson's 1st lake run was a brown trout ;-)

BOLO missing person report.

Be on the lookout for BikerFish AKA Al, last seen god knows when, last known location unknown. He is usually not dangerous, if you see him tell him his #SteelheadJam friends are hoping he's safe.

yes we all miss Biker.

Today was decent. many people, many fish.

jefferson the steelhead rookie went into full beast mode. he was a water reading beast and sniped steel out of the most improbable lies. I guess he had a good teacher...lol.

Mucka, StreamerGuy, Jefferson and I made a long hike into unfamiliar territory and had a great time. everyone caught, except for me! I lost my mojo today but still had a great time with great company.

You'll have to ask PatrickC for the greatest meme from the season featuring yours truly. also, RickinPA is a camper and TimB has a secret fly.

that's all for now. tomorrows another day!

RickinPa is a camper in the most literal sense... napping stream side by his honeyhole! Hilarious

haha!!! safe and sound, and stuck at home with one hell of a head cold. my WV plans fell through and I was ll set to head north and meet up with you guys, but by thurs night I was down and out, I didn't even feel like drinking a beer, so you KNOW I was sick!!! Glad you all had a great weekend, hope to see some pics soon!

Fished Halloween, multi locations on Elk Creek, later 3 more tribs.
Many hook ups, nice vital fights, 9 landings.

Steelhead fishing in PA is a bit harder and more unpredictable than years ago. In my November little solitude come to simple conclusion: don't expects a lot, manage the gear well, cast a lot, change the tactics and relocate fast. Determination could be the key.

Attachments

• Elk Creek.jpg
    Elk Creek.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Elk Creek2.jpg
    Elk Creek2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Small Steelhead Pool.jpg
    Small Steelhead Pool.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 3
  • The Take.jpg
    The Take.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Fresh from the Lake.jpg
    Fresh from the Lake.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 3
Thursday GG, Moose, and I drove all over Erie looking for fishable water. High chocolate milk everywhere we stopped, we didn't fish at all Thursday, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Friday FD and I started upstream from Folly's. Saw a couple of fish caught, one in a hole I vacated to fix my leader, go figure. We met up with GG a little later and drove all around and ended up on Elk, I thing near the sewage plant. FD hooked up on his first cast and I hooked up about 1o minutes later. Moose didn't fish as he took a spill in the shower Thursday night and was hurting pretty good, get well soon.

Saturday was the day I had the most optimism for according to the weather forecast. It was supposed to be mid to upper 50's with sun coming out mid day. DanL, GG, and I went to the pet cemetery to start off, it was cloudy but nice. A front must have gone thru as temps dropped a bit and the sun never came out. We decided to stick it out there and see what happened, after a streamside lunch I took GG back to the hotel so he could warm up and get some rest.

We only saw 2 fish the whole day, DanL hooked up with 1 of the 2 we saw, we called it a day about 4 PM. I was tired of driving.

Other members had better fishing then we did, still had a great time. I guess I need to fish with professionals more often. LOL

Back