Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

I'll be on a eastern trib in 12, fished the lake last night before the rain

Same Eastern trib today..

1239395_667867426564380_910739192_n.jpg

Let the circus commence!!!

just back, and yes it has.
remember it is early and more to run later. not epic but nice

really? elk was pretty stained, I just got back, actually that was the most ideal water I ever fished and we as a group did pretty good, although I didn't land one I had on several and between the 3 of us landed 5, and saw some more hooked. pretty well put though, nice but not epic, I think it could be a really good year.

Pretty sure he just meant if you weren't there today it will be back to low and clear by tomorrow and will remain so until it rains again.

You could not have hit it more right. Today was perfect. Since you prayed for rain for this trip...continue to do so, we need tons more. ;-) Whatever you did seemed to work :-D

Continue to be patient. Another couple of rains and the creek will have fish spread throughout the creeks! Remember, it's only September 22. It's EARLY. Feels good to get the skunk off in September though!

ya it does, but I heard numerous reports of fish that had ran pretty far upstream, so if you do go and the lower areas are jam packed with people, I wouldn't be afraid to venture a ways up.

Another inch of rain forecasted for Sunday. I'm hoping that storm moves to Thursday...

Went up yesterday had a blast! Got there around noon drove past elk first looked pretty washed up then traveled back down to walnut and I couldn't believe it I never experienced fishing like this haha it was just shoulder to shoulder all the way down the stream I fished beneath a nice hole with a smaller waterfall at the top hooked into two in the first hour and was just in shock kinda how hard these fish fought it was so fun...and just to watch them travel up stream was amazing after I hooked the first two with no fish landed it was dead for me for about two hours I ended up moving upstream and switched to a sucker spawn and hooked into another a few casts after and it slammed my fly and I fought the fish for atleast 20 mins until I landed him it was such an awesome experience and one of my most memorable fishing trips I can't wait to go back

It's even better when you get a large pod of willing fish all to yourself, with nobody else in sight! I know it's early and everywhere ain't in the game yet. But later season, Walnut will always be crowded, and it isn't the only game in town.

Don't listen to him. Walnut, and specifically the project waters and Manchaser hole (the semi-circle jerk) are and always will be the only game in town. No use in fishing anywhere else, especially on Fridays. ;-)

FarmerDave wrote:
Don't listen to him. Walnut, and specifically the project waters and Manchaser hole (the semi-circle jerk) are and always will be the only game in town. No use in fishing anywhere else, especially on Fridays. ;-)

Stop Sign hole is the full-circle.... Not that there is anything wrong with that ;-)

So how much of a nightmare is this really? This is my first year fly fishing, and the steelhead runs is one of the main reasons I did. Just everything I read it sounds like i wont even be able to cast without catching a neighboring fisherman. I missed last weekend no thanks to a buddies wedding, spent the day saturday taking pictures in the rain thinking about how i wouldnt be able to make it to Erie the next day. I'm going this weekend just mainly because im anxious to get up there, and i know levels will be way down again and i dont expect it to be good, but when it is good, is it as bad as it sounds with the crowds? Or is just a few holes that get this wonderfully put "circle jerk" with other areas being more open but just holding far less fish?

Mucka wrote:
So how much of a nightmare is this really? This is my first year fly fishing, and the steelhead runs is one of the main reasons I did. Just everything I read it sounds like i wont even be able to cast without catching a neighboring fisherman. I missed last weekend no thanks to a buddies wedding, spent the day saturday taking pictures in the rain thinking about how i wouldnt be able to make it to Erie the next day. I'm going this weekend just mainly because im anxious to get up there, and i know levels will be way down again and i dont expect it to be good, but when it is good, is it as bad as it sounds with the crowds? Or is just a few holes that get this wonderfully put "circle jerk" with other areas being more open but just holding far less fish?

It all depends. The fish end up in pools when they can't move upstream readily. Then, fisherpeople swarm the holes. If water is up, fish will be on the move everywhere. And even if the water is down, there are pools that you actually have to walk more then ten feet to and pressure is lighter there. It's a contrived fishery in a somewhat unnatural setting after all. Don't stress about it too much; walk a bit and you'll have plenty of casting room. Be prepared for your fair share of jerks and also some really nice people.

Best advice is to get up there, walk around, and get to know the place.

Yea that is mainly what i plan on doing, i dont expect to get anything really, but i more or less want to get familiar with the area and the streams so I can do a little better when the season really kicks in just everything i read seems intimidating to a certain extent, but still very excited. For me a little walking is welcomed so its good to hear that i can still find some spots.

There are PLENTY of places to fish up there. Literally about 10 fishable streams that you can walk around and find a good section to fish by yourself if you want. The longer the season goes the easier it is to find solitude. The key is being willing to go when the conditions are right because they can literally change every day depending on rain. Go up, get your butt whooped a few times and learn. Also check out the Steelhead JAM in the events forum. You can hook up with some guys there and they'll teach you a thing or two.

Also search some old threads on the subject here. There's some good ones from years past.

Weather in the 70's this weekend will bring out throngs of area fishermen. tribs will be low and clear with hoards around the few fish to be found. That is my prediction. I'm going east to fish before the fall spawn.

Before fall spawn?

Back