Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

Mucka, I believe my description of the lower end of Walnut was fairly accurate and it would also apply well to lower Elk. But the rest was a joke.

You can always find a place to fish that isn't crowded. It just requires a little homework and a little walking.

Cept of Fridays when all the fish go back down stream to the lower parts of Elk Walnut, so no reason to even look beyond that on Fridays. :lol:

Well, planning to make a trip up this weekend, usually make my first trip the first weekend in October, but this year I have plans the first two weekends, and plus, with my new job, it's been a very stressful past couple of weeks, and I haven't had much time to fish, so it will be great to get away, even to have a few cold brews while watching some football in my hotel room.

From what I hear, there ARE fish in the streams, its just a matter of getting away from the crowds, and finding a pod to yourself. Either that, or presenting your fly better than everyone else in low conditions. Also a matter of your opinion of "worth it" or "numbers of fish." I'm perfectly content and satisfied catching two or three fish in a day, but I know there are those grumpy old timer locals who will stand there and tell you how much better it was 30 years ago, and how they were supposedly hooking up every other cast when the fish were stacked so thick, you could walk across their backs.

Don't forget that tossing streamers into the lake at the mouths of the creeks can also be rewarding or challenging, did this last year, it is exciting to see a fresh chrome with fight take off with your fly and run for Canada.

Assuming things are already low and clear already? Was hoping to run up tomorrow, but I'm thinking we need rain again and I should wait for more appealing conditions.

http://www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com/webcam/

looks fairly low again, but not real clear.

Looking at the forecast, it doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon.

Want to head up badly, but it just looks like things are a trickle again. Flow gauges back theory that up. Darn! I could have used a good sick day! ;)

Made a trip up and your right the water is low,There are fish but not an great run but did notice the kings that were landed were all wild,cant say this for them all but a saw about 5 fish and no cut fins.A few steelies and some cohos.Light line guys were hooking up but it was fish on then fish off.

Hit Elk yesterday.
Crowds were crazy, you were not walking anywhere to find solitude.
There are a few fish down low. Water will be gin clear and way low by tomorrow. If you are going to hit the low and clear try to get there at first light.

Scouted around the majority of the PA tribs yesterday (long day). We still need a whole bunch of rain.

There are certainly fish on Elk. The water levels have dropped to the point that the majority of the fish are in the expected deep pools swimming in circles waiting for the next rain. Was able to get 2 of them in that situation to chase a streamer all day. There were a handful of fish in some moving water at day light that did hit dead drifted streamers, egg patterns, and one on a nymph.

The Miles Creeks are trickling. There are some fish in the lower creeks swimming in circles. Not much at all going in the middle sections.

If you live close, I guess it's not a total waste of time to fish at daylight, but it would be an absolute waste of time to drive any distance to Erie at this point. Right now there is not any SIGNIFICANT rain in the 10 day forecast. Hang tight, once we get some rain it will improve.

Okay thanks, sounds like low and clear it is.

I was reading this article (http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/06/18/high-and dry/#axzz2fumVyCCv)
from a guide who uses dry flies for steelhead, and a dry dropper type of rig, with a dry fly on top and a nymph or wet on the bottom. I was thinking about trying this out, and was wondering if anyone could help me out, and point me in the direction of good tying instructions of a yellow stimulator dry, or of something similar to the "Erie-sistable" fly he speaks of?

fishingood wrote:
Okay thanks, sounds like low and clear it is.

I was reading this article (http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/06/18/high-and dry/#axzz2fumVyCCv)
from a guide who uses dry flies for steelhead, and a dry dropper type of rig, with a dry fly on top and a nymph or wet on the bottom. I was thinking about trying this out, and was wondering if anyone could help me out, and point me in the direction of good tying instructions of a yellow stimulator dry, or of something similar to the "Erie-sistable" fly he speaks of?

Interestingly enough...there was some bug activity on one of the slow pools yesterday and a couple (and I mean a only a couple) steelhead did rise. Now I can't tell you if they were rising for bugs and it would be a complete crap shoot tossing a dry on that pond, but it would have been fun to see one hit a dry fly.

Technically I have never caught a steelhead on a dry fly, however...

One day while fishing the Grand in a remote area I had two strikes on my strike indicator. I looked in my box and the closest thing to it that I had was an unweighted woolly bugger. I tied it on and hooked two in a very short time and landed the second one. Bugger was just under the surface.

That's what I figured, also I've seen some using dries or other flies as "indicator flies" for drift fishing. If nothing else, it would create less of a surface disturbance than the thing a ma bobber indicators I usually use, and keep the nymph or wet fly set right at the depth of a suspending fish, which is all important in these tough conditions.

The dry dropper can be effective in low and clear situations. Not because the dry catches fish. But because it's an effective indicator that doesn't spook fish as much as a bright plastic bubble.

I think I use an indicator for about an hour total in Erie every year. I put one on, realize soon after that I hate fishing the slower water and move on. The smartest things I've ever done, especially for steelhead, is hone in on my high sticking and move to a 10' rod.

ryguyfi wrote:
The smartest things I've ever done, especially for steelhead, is hone in on my high sticking and move to a 10' rod.

Now you're just talking dirty ;-)

I love Ryan's approach here.
1. He didn't blame the problem on the "low number of fish".
2. He became a better fisherman by figuring out what works best for him!
3. He gets rewarded by catching more fish.

Keep up the good work Ryan!

e dry dropper can be effective in low and clear situations. Not because the dry catches fish. But because it's an effective indicator that doesn't spook fish as much as a bright plastic bubble.

Exactly! You hit the nail right on the head.

The #1 item I see many people without in Erie is polarized glasses. These fish average in the 6lb range and it's amazing how they can blend in with their surroundings. I pride myself in catching fish in places that people have walked by all day long. Find a fishy spot and just stare at it for a solid minute or longer. Don't cast. If you see movement then position yourself in the right place and make the first cast count. I get the skunk off many times by finding these fish and get more satisfaction in hearing people say "I didn't think there was a fish in there".

btw, there's never any fish in the streams ;-)

Even polarized glasses don't help with the fresh ones when the 1st hit the creek.

Agree... Fish the creek where the fish should be, because they are usually there. Now, there is a lot to that statement, because where they should be changes rapidly based on a multitude of factors.

any reports from over in ohio? the flow on the grand looks nice....

There are a few fish around. Have not been on the Grand since the rain. I had a report of 5 fish on the upper Grand a week ago (seen not caught). There have been fish being caught in the Rocky and Chagrin. I intended to look a Connie yesterday, but she was still chocolate milk. No big numbers, but a few fish around.

Back