Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

It's included

PatrickC wrote:

...When I fish by myself, I just move the fish over to a shallow area and jump down behind them and block them with my knees.

He doesn't just do that when he fishes by himself, and frankly it kind of freaked me out just a little bit. :p :lol:

I could have just kicked it up on the bank.... :-D Hey, I wanted you to keep fishing and I don't want to mishandle the fish any worse than the hook already in it. Another "famous" fisherman ripped me a new one once because I moved the fish too far up onto the gravel when I was landing it by myself (not that he offered his net mind you). It doesn't matter which way I do it....someone would have something to say. Live and learn ;-)

PatrickC wrote:
I could have just kicked it up on the bank.... :-D Hey, I wanted you to keep fishing and I don't want to mishandle the fish any worse than the hook already in it. Another "famous" fisherman ripped me a new one once because I moved the fish too far up onto the gravel when I was landing it by myself (not that he offered his net mind you). It doesn't matter which way I do it....someone would have something to say. Live and learn ;-)

I didn't feel that you were mishandling a fish, it just reminded me of a very off color joke that I used to tell that involving a sheep. :lol:

You ain't right ;-)

hey guys im posting in here for some advice im new to steelhead fishing and also fly fishing in general since i just started this year in april.. anyways i have been addicted to going up erie for steelhead out of 5 trips i landed 3 fish mostly all on sucker spawns and had some hookups on wollys.. to cut to the chase here i am looking for a few pointers on how to catch more fish... how much spilt shot should i be using if its high and fast around 3? low and clear just 1? i also have been using a 4x leader with flies around the sz10 - 14 range any advice would be appricated

Just pay attention if you see your fly getting tossed in turbulent water add more split shot. I like super duox, and I like to have as little weight as possible but still get down. So it's not an a exact science. The right drift and size/color of fly is more important.

Right now NOAA is predicting 0.98" from 1pm today through 1pm Friday in Erie, with the lion's share of that coming tonight and tomorrow morning. That should set things up for a good weekend in Erie for the Steelhead Jam.

Sounds great, will be up friday-sunday, already hearing of good numbers of fish and catches, and the rain should bring a fresh run in.

Booked a room at a small mom and pop motel, amazingly, almost every chain in the area is booked solid, in fact, called a Quality Inn this morning to ask about vacancies, the very first question the guy asked me was if I was coming to fish, before telling me that he had no vacancies, and every chain hotel in the area would likely be packed, and recommended the place I'm staying at now.

There are PLENTY if fish.

fishingood wrote:
... the very first question the guy asked me was if I was coming to fish, before telling me that he had no vacancies....

You should have said "no" and you probably would have gotten the room. Probably one too many fish cleanings in the hotel bathtubs!

Just wrapped up four days on the tribs fishing was fabulous. All the guys on here going up this weekend should be in for a treat. Had to do a little walking a few times but always found good pods of fish. Plus I like to walk anyways cant stand fishing the same fish for hours. Fish were holding in all the typical holes and I did very well in many riffles where people walk right by them. Good Luck to everyone! Gosh I envy you fellas that are local life is not fair at times.

trike23 wrote:
Gosh I envy you fellas that are local life is not fair at times.

If steel are your thing, then I agree with you 100%. I think those of us in other parts of the state are lucky to have the stream diversity we do (Central PA, SE PA, NC, etc.). At any rate, to get it back on topic, I'm looking forward to my first six-hour drive to Erie Sunday to fish on chrome for a few days!

wgmiller wrote:
trike23 wrote:
Gosh I envy you fellas that are local life is not fair at times.

If steel are your thing, then I agree with you 100%. I think those of us in other parts of the state are lucky to have the stream diversity we do (Central PA, SE PA, NC, etc.). At any rate, to get it back on topic, I'm looking forward to my first six-hour drive to Erie Sunday to fish on chrome for a few days!

I'm glad to be close to steelhead, but I wouldn't mind being a little closer to more wild trout. All in all, I'm fairly content with being within a couple of hours of both (a couple of hours from wild trout, 30 minutes from steelhead).

Being only 40 to 50mins from Cumberland county many would envy me. But after a whole year of doing battle with 6 to 12 inch fish its nice to hook into a few large steelhead. But to each is there own as they say.

And I thought I had a little drive, 6 hours...man that's rough. I can be on any trib from Rocky River to Walnut and everything in between in 50min-1.5hrs or so, and I still think I live too far. The closest decent wild trout stream to me is about an hour, and the closest area with multiple decent streams is about another half hour away. I guess I don't have it so bad after all lol.

erie, just over an hour, brookies, 30min, wild browns, 10min, stockies, 2min.
but I'll take central PA any day of the week, just a nicer overall experience. After fishing for as long as I have, it's not about the size or quantity, it's everything, the crowds or lack thereof, the scenery, and the quality of beer available.

>>Gosh I envy you fellas that are local life is not fair at times.>>

I could care less about the steelhead fishery, but I'll be local again in Erie County sometime between the autumn of 2014 and the summer of 2015. Once I'm back home, while I'll have limited spaces available (more if you don't mind sleeping with a Plott hound), I'll pledge to beat the best chain lodging prices in the area by at least a buck or two. First come, first served..

I've always thought that for the Pennsylvania specific fly angler who is as interested in WW species as he/she is in trout, that it is hard to beat the NW portion of the state as a home base. Not right up tight along the Lake, but southern Erie, eastern Crawford or Venango Counties or even the Meadville area in central Crawford County area if you're more interested in WW species. You're sitting virtually on top of or within an hour of the most varied and perhaps best WW fly fishing in the state and also within an hour of decent wild trout opportunities. And, of course, if you haven't had enough steelheading yet, that's only a short drive away as well.

But I may be biased because that's where I'm from. But I still think its a pretty strong case...

RLeeP wrote:
But I may be biased because that's where I'm from. But I still think its a pretty strong case...

Yep - especially if you like muskies.

I'd certainly chase steel in Erie more if I lived closer (duh!) but at six and a half hours drive it may be awhile before I get up there again. Would be nice to hit the steel jam this year but with the salt jam and other stuff......maybe next year.

Wherever you live in PA....if you're flexible about what you want to fish for - think out side the trout box - there's some excellent fishing near you.

I can be on a couple different steelhead rivers in less than an half hour from home. Make that three if you count Elk Creek headwaters. ... and a forth within 10 minutes of where I work. Also have a little brother with an excellent wild trout stream in his back yard.

You would think I would hit them more often, but I haven't. I hope to start changing that.

RLeeP, you and I are going to have to hook up to do some fishing some day. I was hoping it would be in Wisconsin for trout, but NWPA for ww species would be fine. I won't need lodging though.;-)

Back