Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

I can't recall the last steelhead I caught using an indicator. The only time I use them is in slower water where I'm casting a decent distance. Then I realize I hate fishing that water and move on. I'm high sticking or swinging the rest of the time and everything is by feel. I feel the direct contact gives me a great chance of success in these situations compared to using an indicator which can drag or move in a different current than the flies and there be a lag on the take.

Agreed to an extent, Ry. When swinging, sight fishing, or fishing in low water or low fast runs (sometimes you can find fish there), I usually don't use an indicator. But in deep runs, and pols slow or fast, I usually use one, because for whatever reason, I've found that the fish here can bite very lightly. On the very first trip of the year, was fishing lower elk in one of the deep, slow pools. Sure enough, my indicator twitched under the surface, thought I was just running along the bottom, or had a leaf. Sure enough, pulled up to check it out, had a steelhead already 20 feet upstream.

Tim Robinson and a few guys are on Elk today just crushing it as the flows are coming up. They were fortunate to lock down a place near the mouth and fresh fish have been moving through all day. I am very jealous!

OK guys, help a newbie Steelheader out....

Whats the difference between:

Snagging
Lining
Flossing
Foul Hooking

Thanks in advance...

Snagging is always intentional and if it isn't, you call it Foul Hooking.

Lining can be unintentional snagging in the mouth, whereas Flossing implies great skill at lining.

Don't forget the FishErie logic:

Snagging = What occurs when someone doesn't catch any, but they see, or hear about others doing so, and they have to bring down other's successes to feel better about themselves.

Oops, I must be whining again.

Snagging- intentionally hooking a fish anywhere on it's body

Lining & Flossing - basically the same and mainly attributed to salmon fishing. When salmon are in the streams ready to spawn they typically have their mouths open. A fisherman will cast beyond the fish and put his line in the open mouth of the fish. Then retrieve his hook and hook the fish on the outside of the mouth.

Foul Hooking - Sometimes you unintentionally hook a fish not in the mouth. PA rules allow you to fish up to 3 hooks on the same line and if you're doing this (called a tandem rig) you can foul hook fish fairly often at times.

Lifting - Taking a hook and directly drift it into a fishes mouth and lifting to set the hook. The fish is resting with it's mouth open and you are force feeding it.

Some of these techniques are fairly common for steelhead and salmon around the great lakes. No matter what situation it is, if it happens you should break your line intentionally and move on to fishing legally.

Snagging = cheating

Lifting or flossing = semi-skilled cheater

If you can floss in the SR at 1600 cfs, you are a very skilled cheater

Fishing good, you are dead wrong. When I was up last I witnessed 3 French Canadians take 9 fish none fairly hooked from the hole, I kept my cool. Then after a bit I snagged a line of theirs and their weight and it tangled. I was going to break it off but I thought you know what this isn't fair to that fish to drag that fly and weight around, the man who snagged it said "I will net for my flies back" I nodded and said ok, he netted it and it was a big boy I started to clear the mess when he came in and cut my line jacked my flies and left. I continued to fish the vacated hole but they were too spooked so I headed to 16 and there they were snagging again. I mentioned to other anglers how bad it was. Another two anglers not with the snaggers, said well if you can't beat em join em and started to rip. I let it be known and called the WCO, when I left the three French Canadian had 15 fish on a stringer. So when you go and post stuff on fisherie know that those guys are just trying to protect a fishery that they enjoy. If I finger banged a beautiful brown trout's gills in a photo I sure as he'll would not post it there. And as you continue to whine on this site you will just continue to p*** off everyone over there, and believe me there are a lot of good guys over on that site and I know they read here.
Take that into consideration every time you degrade those guys.

'Nuff said, is an expression to use following a pithy quip, not a rant or screed. Just sayin'.

Well, your edit has egg on my face.

Ya shouldn't have said that, it's kinda hard to type on a phone and keep stuff in line. But an edit was needed. But snagging happens and that is not a joke, and it's just as much our duty to help

StarvinMarvin, I do respect you and your opinions, but, without the intent of hijacking this thread too much more, I am going disagree to an extent with most of what you just said, and feel I should clarify. I apologize if you or anyone feels offended by my remark, it was meant to be a joke, and I am sorry for the situation you encountered, snagging is wrong and we should do everything in our power to stop it. In addition, I am sure there are plenty of great, wonderful, helpful people who frequent FishErie, but it really doesn't give off that impression, when I see a newbie politely ask a reasonable question, only to get 10 smart @ss, arrogant responses back for every one helpful one. I mean, its one thing to tell someone to use the search button if they ask something that has been answered, or is blatantly obvious (ie what's sucker spawn, what's the Manchester hole, etc.), but get real. I don't think someone who has to drive several hours to fish, asking about conditions, is unreasonable, you don't have to tell them to every detail, rather than launching into a tirade about how pathetic they are for wanting to be "spoon fed," you can just say "I fished so and so on this date, conditions were so and so, caught this many fish." Takes about five seconds. If you don't want to talk about fishing in Erie, on a forum called FishErie, you are probably in the wrong place. Pretty simple common sense.

As for the whole whining, and upsetting people, you're right, I will be quiet about the FishErie crowd on here in the future. However, to speak to my defense, first of all, I find it somewhat ironic that there are people over there who complain day in and day out about the fishing, and when I simply make this observation, I AM SUDDENLY THE WHINER? Secondly, I am a practice what you preach type of person, and I like to be respectful and polite, and try approach each person I know with the mindset that they are a good person. This helps in Erie, 90% of the time, if I feel someone is crowding me, my first idea is attempt to strike up a conversation, and keep out of the defensive "this person is intentionally being rude and trying to ruin my fishing" mindset, and I usually find that the person is really a good person, and in their excitement, they just didn't realize they were getting a little too close. However, I didn't exactly feel respected, and was a bit upset (as I had every right to be), when I posted that report, excited and proud about the fish I caught and attempting to help people out, willing to answer any questions, and the first thing someone was said was some nose stuck in the air "way to gill blast that brown trout" remark. Not to sound like I'm giving baby talk, but it woulda been a little more courteous to say something along the lines of "nice fish, but be careful not to damage the gills with your hand, that can cause delayed mortality." And, afterwards, I essentially apologized for doing that, and explained myself (I don't know about you, but I find steelhead and Erie browns very slick and hard to hold, and I didn't even realize that I had my hand in the gill slit until after I saw the photo, I now take extra effort to avoid the gill area when removing a fish or getting a photo). Now, everytime I try to make a helpful post, I gotta deal with some wise guy annoyingly rehashing the same old "you gill blasted that brown trout A MONTH ago" for the gazillionth time, like that particular fish was holy or something. It's fishing, crap is going to happen, and sometimes a fish will get killed, even if the angler doesn't mean for it to happen.

Again, I apologize, but I hope this settles it.

Fishingood,buy a landing glove and you will have no problem handling the slimy fish.I'm referring to a mesh glove that is sold many places.

Fishingood,buy a landing glove and you will have no problem handling the slimy fish.I'm referring to a mesh glove that is sold many places.

That's a good idea, was thinking about that. But, I've heard that it can remove the slime coating from the fish, leading to the potential for infections or fungus? Any truth to this?

fishingood wrote:
That's a good idea, was thinking about that. But, I've heard that it can remove the slime coating from the fish, leading to the potential for infections or fungus? Any truth to this?

There is truth to it. I use one, but the reality is....clients want pics and it helps. I have them handle the fish as little as possible and keep the fish in the water (net) up until the point they are ready to get a picture.

Try handling the fish with just your index finger and thumb around the tail and just support them with a few fingers up under the chin or even make almost like a fist and place the fish's chin area on the upside down fist. Also, with really squirmy fish, just consider photographing them where you are handling them in the water with just a slight lift to the surface of the water. If they get away...they get away.

When I fish by myself, I just move the fish over to a shallow area and jump down behind them and block them with my knees. If I want to photograph the fish, I carry a small net to put them in so I can get the pics I want and still keep them in the water with minimal handling. I try more and more to photograph them in the water in that situation. I'm obsessed with fish and love to photograph their uniqueness.

From the sounds of things, I need to join that forum, set my downriggers and begin trolling.

Looks like more rain tomorrow- have a 2 hour drive, was debating going but dont know if things will come down enough- any opinions on whether its worth my while???

It's more of an issue of how much rain we get tonight and tomorrow in Erie. I would expect 12 & 16 are fishing now with 20 fishing soon and probably Elk later today. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, The projections are for about 1/2" during that time. That is right at an amount where it is a total crap shoot. If it falls slow all day, may not hurt things at all. If 1/2" dumps all in a couple hours...they blow up. And, it's a crap shoot as to how much will actually fall, esp in Erie. Seems like every place else, the NOAA projections fall short. BUT, when lake effect comes into the forecast....it can go either way.

There, that should clear it up for you ;-)

The gauge is at 421 cfs and dropping nicely (probably about 30 cfs/ hour), was over 500 at one point this morning. And, the turbity gauge is dropping as well.

The forecast is calling for showers tomorrow, and about .3 inches of rain, but the radar is showing that most of the storm system that hit last night is over us, and everything else is missing Erie, with the chance that a few small green splotches may clip us.

Don't hold me to this, and I don't want to make you waste a trip. But I would think that, all other things being equal, the streams continuing to steadily clear, and no more major rains happening today and tonight, there will be at least a few streams tomorrow with prime conditions, and a good run of some fresh fish. Of course, steelhead fishing isn't an exact science, as I think we've all learned.

Great, thanks guys- trying to get this rising and falling thing down- first year and only really 4 trips under my belt, but as someone told me before, something will usually fish just have to find it.. last friday elk was muddy and high, but hit 20 and it was perfect.. was thinking ill have some driving around tomorrow too but hopefully will be able to find something

Back