Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

I meant to give you a couple of other sizes of the Thingamabobbers. I used to use tiny little strike indicators and they were great, but as my eyes have changed over the years, Thingamabobbers are the easiest for me to see. I essentially keep them in white and orange. I use white most of the time, but when the flows are up and the water is foamy, I can't see the white for the foam....so I switch to orange. I bet my 50s are really gonna suck ;-)

Whenever we are on the water, feel free to ask for help or supplies. I always have plenty of tippet and plenty of flies. Clients love to burn through both :-D

Oh yea, wife really appreciated the peppers! Thanks!

pro4mance wrote:
I'll be heading up on the 7th as well GG, was planning on fishing Friday for sure. Thursday is a maybe depending on arrival time. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the JAM Norm

I doubt that I will be up this year, but as you plan for next year, why don't we plan to do a little "mini seminar" during breakfast or something. Then I can help address concerns and questions for those that want to improve their game. Sometimes addressing those things in person can be more helpful than just reading about it. I would be more than happy to do that!

Pat that would be fantastic, we will have to work on that for next years Jam. Thank you for putting the offer out there.

Look forward to it. Just send me a PM when it's time to organize next year's event.

PatrickC wrote:
I meant to give you a couple of other sizes of the Thingamabobbers. I used to use tiny little strike indicators and they were great, but as my eyes have changed over the years, Thingamabobbers are the easiest for me to see. I essentially keep them in white and orange. I use white most of the time, but when the flows are up and the water is foamy, I can't see the white for the foam....so I switch to orange. I bet my 50s are really gonna suck ;-)

I wasn't joking when I said my far vision has actually been getting better with age. If you are near sighted, you should experience the same thing. Near vision is another story, but it is mostly just the ability to focus on things close up. I still do not require glasses for reading because I have long arms.

Yea, I had to get trifocals this year because all of a sudden I could not focus on anything up close. I used to make fun of guys with those magnifiers on the bill of their caps....no I'm going to be one of them. Karma I suppose...

I meant to give you a couple of other sizes of the Thingamabobbers. I used to use tiny little strike indicators and they were great, but as my eyes have changed over the years, Thingamabobbers are the easiest for me to see.

Hahaha I was about to ask how on Earth you use Thingamabobbers in low/ and clear conditions, without nicking up your leader, and creating a huge disturbance and spooking fish in the pool , that was my problem with them, so I switched to the smallest size peg football indicator I can get by with, seems to detect the slightest vibrations and light bites. But, then I saw that you said they were easiest for you with your vision :oops:

BTW, they make 1/2" Thingamabobber. That's what we were using yesterday. And we were fish fast pocket water. The movement of the water alone conceals them, especially if they are white. Don't waste your time fishing low and clear water that is not moving. Everything spooks them in that situation.

1/2" thingamabobbers in white are all I will ever use steelhead fishing unless I am fishing turbulent water such as waterfalls. Furled leaders also won't kink with a thingamabobber and moving them is so easy. They are my favorite for steelhead fishing.

Well I'll be, I may have to find some of them myself

StarvinMarvin wrote:
1/2" thingamabobbers in white are all I will ever use steelhead fishing unless I am fishing turbulent water such as waterfalls. Furled leaders also won't kink with a thingamabobber and moving them is so easy. They are my favorite for steelhead fishing.

Good point about the furled leaders!

I tie all of my own fluorocarbon leaders and have not had a problem with getting kinks in them from Thingamabobbers. That being said, I'm using them in the heavy upper sections when dead-drifting deep moving water. I tend to high-stick nymph or swing shallower runs. So, if you are placing them on the lower diameter part of the leader, that indeed would kink them up.

I would like to say I only use 1/2" Thingamabobbers, but, as stated early, sometimes in heavy flow or right at sunrise....Mr McGoo here needs a 3/4" just to see the thing ;-) Nonetheless, it would be fair to say fish have to be able to see those things coming in gin clear water.

Even on the small taper of furled leaders (blue sky) I haven't gotten a kink but in small runs, I will just remove the thingamabobber and just high stick em. I cant wait for this weeks rain though, blow em all out.

StarvinMarvin wrote:
I cant wait for this weeks rain though, blow em all out.

AMEN!

a small clear bubble float with the top painted orange, would be a good compromise between stealth and my fading vision imho.

carp anglers use them in the UK for 'hair rigs' in clear water.

Fished today on Walnut. Definitely low and clear but weather was beautiful. I broke most low and clear rules: I arrived late (9am), I fished big flies, I fished a short leader (because I hooked many trees and ripped off a number of fish, and I discovered that my extra leader packs were empty!), and I fished 3X. The parking lot was not full; I always hope that somehow on a given day that maybe everyone has to work and I'll luck out and tie into a mess of fish. But no crowds usually means the stream is unfishable or the fish quantities aren't super high and the latter was today. I took my fly rod for a walk upstream and saw a total of six fish from the Manchester falls to the train track tubes. I ended up landing three, losing an equal or slightly higher number and losing an abnormally high number of flies. I caught them on a size 8 weighted stonefly and lost three of these flies to fish, on a Crazy Charlie, which also drew some interest, and...on a mouse! I've always wanted to catch a steelhead on a dry - maybe that counts? This particular fish showed interest on my first three casts and on the fourth, I watched the inside of his big white mouth open as he lunged and took the mouse. Ranks up there with my most memorable steelhead moments. Fish also showed some interest in a black leech fly. Saw one brown creeled and a handful more in the stream. Was glad for glasses as the same guy got me three times with his back cast..and he was ten yards downstream. Still, it was not the circus that Manchester usually is, and the steelhead on the mouse makes the trip worthwhile. Leaves did not hatch as much as expected, although a few did come off later in the day. Not sure how tomorrow will work out; might try Elk.

A steelhead on a mouse....that's awesome!!

Hmm....starting to think more about that swimming chipmunk I witnessed a couple weeks ago.. All of the fish I've heard of caught on top this year(various dries) have been more reaction strikes than the fish actually feeding. Next time I'm up I'm definitely going to bring a few surface flies to experiment with!

streamerguy wrote:
A steelhead on a mouse....that's awesome!!

Hmm....starting to think more about that swimming chipmunk I witnessed a couple weeks ago.. All of the fish I've heard of caught on top this year(various dries) have been more reaction strikes than the fish actually feeding. Next time I'm up I'm definitely going to bring a few surface flies to experiment with!

I'd venture to guess that the majority of steelhead hooked are either reaction strikes or lined (or flossed) inadvertently or otherwise.

Post spawn fish excluded.

I could be wrong, but I am entitled to that opinion, especially when it comes to the larger ones that are on a spawning run. They are not in there to feed I don't have time to explain my reasoning any further than that, but it could be an interesting discussion. Sorry.

That's why there are waking flies tied and fished. steelhead are trout and will rise just not that often in cold water. riffling hitch and swinging the fly across stream brings savage strikes at times.

FarmerDave wrote:

I'd venture to guess that the majority of steelhead hooked are either reaction strikes or lined (or flossed) inadvertently or otherwise.

Post spawn fish excluded.

I could be wrong, but I am entitled to that opinion, especially when it comes to the larger ones that are on a spawning run. They are not in there to feed I don't have time to explain my reasoning any further than that, but it could be an interesting discussion. Sorry.

You are wrong, but yes, entitled to your opinion. These fish are on a spawning run and position themselves in the creek accordingly, but they also stay in that creek for up to 6 months at a time and return to the ocean/lake at some point. A long time to go without a meal. While it would be a fair argument to say they are likely reaction strikes when you are fishing in front or redds and super easy to line them fishing through redds. But if you ever watch a steelhead hit a streamer on the swing, you'll have a different opinion. He will follow that streamer across the stream before he hammers it. Reaction? A lot of effort for a reaction.

And, as for nymphing...why would a huge steelhead care to react to a #14 nymph. It's not like they are small biting flies annoying the crap out of him. Steelhead munch on eggs and nymphs in the flows all of the time.

I'll have to dig it up, but last year a study came out that showed even migrating salmon eat throughout the run and essentially concluded that the salmon that ate more during the run were fit to pass on more genetics longer than the salmon that were not eating consuming as much.

Now, do folks line steelhead and salmon? Heck yes! But that is a terrible reason to conclude that they don't eat and that everyone that fishes for steelhead and salmon line them. Old data may have suggested that to be true, but the new data says otherwise.

So, as I always say, if you can't catch steelhead...that does not mean everyone else that can is doing it wrong. That means you need to take your game to the next level and learn more about the fish. If you just don't want to take the time to do that, well , that's cool. But again, it doesn't make the guys whom have taken the time to sort it out a bunch of flossers. It's really hard to floss anything on the swing....I catch a bunch of them that way. Conditions dictated we fish the way we did the other day. I hate fishing that way. If you'll recall I suggested we fish one of the Ohio tribs with flow and color. That's exactly why. I want to fish for active moving fish, not stand and stare at steelhead swimming in circles. Yet, even in that situation, active fish can be found in fast deep runs. The key is always knowing where to find the feeding fish for the conditions of the day. And there are feeding fish, but not all of them are feeding all of the time.

I gotta think they feed.

As was said, they'll chase streamers, even occasionally take a dry. These fish down here won't hit, but these ones up here are nailing it every dang cast. Oh, and they ignored this fly, but when I switched to this one, I can't keep em off the hook. I've had them take hooks deep before as well.

I mean, that COULD all be reaction. But if it is, then an awful lot of regular trout are eating my flies out of reaction too, cause there ain't that much of a difference in how they act. You could argue that all trout typically feed based on reaction, which I may agree with somewhat. I mean, they have a brain the size of a pea. I'd call it conditioned reaction. "There's a bit, taste it, blah, spit it out, spit it out! There's another bit, grab it, mmmm, that one was good. Hey, another bit....."

Back