Pure Cringe

Voltaren gel. Put a 1.5" - 2" dab on the forearm near tendon. Continue to rub deeply until it and the greasy feeling is gone. Add the snugged forearm strap when ready to fish.

The voltaren works deep and greatly reduces the pain. Properly apply the strap with the little pillow over the tendon connection and snug down. There's also a ratchet style from futura. I had the issue for 2 years. One tore off the bone and had to be reattached (you don't want that). I have several types of 'tennis elbow ' straps. Still wear for long days of back rowing and as support if throwing long casts all day.

FWIW, many will suggest steroid injection to the tendon connection. Almost 100% relief in 12-48 hours. Bad news: the relief may last 12 months or only one month. Also, it eat the tendon connection weakening it.
I've been having serious elbow problems lately. I would welcome any input. Doc gave me a shot and sent me home with exercises. Probably just learn cast left handed.

I've been having serious elbow problems lately. I would welcome any input. Doc gave me a shot and sent me home with exercises. Probably just learn cast left handed.
this stuff is amazing! It really works!

not just for arthritis.

As I age in my flyfishing career, Motrin and Tiger Balm have been the answer to many of my issues. I don’t often participate in derailed threads but this is one that I’m glad to see take a turn.

As I age in my flyfishing career, Motrin and Tiger Balm have been the answer to many of my issues. I don’t often participate in derailed threads but this is one that I’m glad to see take a turn.

It’s better than what the thread started as.

Naproxen has always been my go to. Pop a couple in the morning and go but this elbow is different. Not like the knees and hands. I'll try the CBD stuff. If it's anything like my college experience with cannabis you may want to invest in Doritos. ;)

Thanks BFP

Videos like this make me think there should be a fishing ethics course similar to hunter's safety before a fishing license is issued. Or least that's what would happen if PFBC's primary concern were the fish and not license sales.
Ethics? Wrong country.

Voltaren gel. Put a 1.5" - 2" dab on the forearm near tendon. Continue to rub deeply until it and the greasy feeling is gone. Add the snugged forearm strap when ready to fish.

The voltaren works deep and greatly reduces the pain. Properly apply the strap with the little pillow over the tendon connection and snug down. There's also a ratchet style from futura. I had the issue for 2 years. One tore off the bone and had to be reattached (you don't want that). I have several types of 'tennis elbow ' straps. Still wear for long days of back rowing and as support if throwing long casts all day.

FWIW, many will suggest steroid injection to the tendon connection. Almost 100% relief in 12-48 hours. Bad news: the relief may last 12 months or only one month. Also, it eat the tendon connection weakening it.
I have alot of experience with Tennis related issues. Hands down the best strap for support is called a victory band. I've had people who have almost had to give up Tennis before trying one.

Quick poll. Who guessed that stream instantly from the drone footage?

Just checking in as part of the elbow pain crew. Started in December trying to throw clousers too far in the surf. Really sticking with me every time I fish, but much worse if I'm using an 8 or 9 wt etc compared to trout fishing

Keep the advice coming!

Marone!

Where are the brook trout people when we need them? Old people get sore, it's part of being old, and beats the alternative handily.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Marone!

Where are the brook trout people when we need them? Old people get sore, it's part of being old, and beats the alternative handily.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Dear Murph,

Bite me. I played 3 weeks of DII football in college with fractured femur. Returned to full contact practice 6 days after arthroscopic knee surgery in 10th grade. Had a bone in my foot cut in half, on purpose, and screwd back together in 2018. I used to kinda like the pain. Told me I was alive, ;). This elbow sucks. The good news is that the casting motion seems to not be an issue. The pain is very specific. It's like have a ghost follow you around and randomly stab you on the inside of the elbow.

Regards,
Tom's elbow

Dear Murph,

Bite me. I played 3 weeks of DII football in college with fractured femur. Returned to full contact practice 6 days after arthroscopic knee surgery in 10th grade. Had a bone in my foot cut in half, on purpose, and screwd back together in 2018. I used to kinda like the pain. Told me I was alive, ;). This elbow sucks. The good news is that the casting motion seems to not be an issue. The pain is very specific. It's like have a ghost follow you around and randomly stab you on the inside of the elbow.

Regards,
Tom's elbow
Dear Tom's elbow,

Sorry for your troubles. If we don't get rain soon you definitely will get some relief from the effects of dampness for sure. It'll almost be like moving to AZ!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Tom's elbow,

Sorry for your troubles. If we don't get rain soon you definitely will get some relief from the effects of dampness for sure. It'll almost be like moving to AZ!

Regards,

Yes, rain would be nice. Rain has never been a problem but I probably have a better batting average than your local TV meteorologist when it comes to predicting snow.

Yes, rain would be nice. Rain has never been a problem but I probably have a better batting average than your local TV meteorologist when it comes to predicting snow.
Dear Tom,

What is snow? I got 7 or 8 inches at my house in early November and thought, BOHICA! I gassed up the snowblower, cleared the driveway, and never got it out again. I'll run the rest of the gas out this weekend and pray for rain, and not deluges, just regular rain.

Regards,

Quick poll. Who guessed that stream instantly from the drone footage?

I did. I’ll still fish it too. They went down a trib from the dirt SF road up top, then fished the main stem a bit, moving downstream. Which is my only objective criticism of their technique. (Again, leaving the fish handling out.)

They’re still pretty high in the drainage though, and higher than I typically fish it, though I have been up there before. And though they didn’t catch any (low/clear/cold water), there’s plenty of Browns in there too. It’s not a Brookie stronghold by any stretch.

The orange blazes pictured in spots on the hikes, and the “bald” on top of the ridge to the east are the giveaways. Am I right?

Unless the videographer is VERY careful to not give away any landmarks or context clues, nearly 100% of PA YT FFing video locations can be identified with some pretty rudimentary Google and map sleuthing.

I’ve identified many good streams to try from YT videos where the name of the stream isn’t mentioned.

Last edited:
I did. I’ll still fish it too. They went down a trib from the dirt SF road up top, then fished the main stem a bit, moving downstream. Which is my only objective criticism of their technique. (Again, leaving the fish handling out.)

They’re still pretty high in the drainage though, and higher than I typically fish it, though I have been up there before. And though they didn’t catch any (low/clear/cold water), there’s plenty of Browns in there too. It’s not a Brookie stronghold by any stretch.

The orange blazes pictured in spots on the hikes, and the “bald” on top of the ridge to the east are the giveaways. Am I right?

Unless the videographer is VERY careful to not give away any landmarks or context clues, nearly 100% of PA YT FFing video locations can be identified with some pretty rudimentary Google and map sleuthing.

I’ve identified many good streams to try from YT videos where the name of the stream isn’t mentioned.
I don't know about that.
I mean we all have our ways and techniques.

To me it is far easier to catch fish in small streams and in low clear conditions going downstream than upstream. granted though, I'm using dry flies and not bait or spinners. It seems way easier to me, to make semi long casts and drift drys out by mending going downstream than toss my leader or tippet past the fish and then drift back to him.

I just spook way less fish this way and can catch them in a puddle when others are just frustrated.

YMMV though, I'm certainly not Lefty Kreth

Thanks!
You guys are great
I'll second what Bam said. The braces really work, and take Ibuprofen.

I got it from farm work as well. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Only I had it in both arms. Apparently my farm is bigger. :LOL: I couldn't even pick up a coffee mug without using both hands. It hurt so bad that I could no longer cast my bamboo rods and had to resort to plastic rods.

Back