Pure Cringe

I just thought of the “Van Buren Boys” the whole time.

They’re actually pretty good at the technique they’re demonstrating, fishing live bait for small wild Trout on small streams. That’s not easy. You have a lot of the same issues you do FFing if you think about it…spooking fish and needing to make highly accurate casts from fairly far away, with little weight to help you.

I’m not gonna get into the whole fish handling thing, other than to say, I find criticism of other’s fish handling more annoying than actual poor fish handling. FWIW. I get it, we all want to protect Brookies and wild fish, just be careful, it’s a razor’s edge sometimes between “educating”, and just being a jerk, and it’s not easy to consistently hit the desired mark.

I just thought of the “Van Buren Boys” the whole time.

They’re actually pretty good at the technique they’re demonstrating, fishing live bait for small wild Trout on small streams. That’s not easy. You have a lot of the same issues you do FFing if you think about it…spooking fish and needing to make highly accurate casts from fairly far away, with little weight to help you.

I’m not gonna get into the whole fish handling thing, other than to say, I find criticism of other’s fish handling more annoying than actual poor fish handling. FWIW. I get it, we all want to protect Brookies and wild fish, just be careful, it’s a razor’s edge sometimes between “educating”, and just being a jerk, and it’s not easy to consistently hit the desired mark.
Dear Swattie,

I agree with you 100%. All they need is a box of # 10 3906B's and two decent hemostats. Crush the barbs and that will help tremendously.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

This reminds me of the joke about walking into a bar and playing let's find the vegan.

The Hemlock Boys are the Grenier boys of PA trout fishing. Yes, obscure Deliverance reference. You can find them....back over that way. 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412-222449~3.png
    Screenshot_20230412-222449~3.png
    792.7 KB · Views: 8
I feel like I'm reading a twitter thread among college professors (ha!) trying to prove who is less privileged and more virtuous. Relax.

That sucks, I'm guessing an arm injury?
You don't have to say, I'm not trying to pry or be nosey. I've been having a bad case of tennis elbow now for over 16 months. It won't seem to go away and casting can be painful at times.
get yourself some of this! It works wonders really!

So I guess NOBODY here ever saw a dead trout in FFO stretch or bad behavior on a fly fishing video...?

In regards to spin fishing, I still partake on occasion and also do the BFS thing using single hook lures and occasionally bait. I also fish flies on spinning tackle which makes me wonder...

Is it the "bait" or the method for delivering it that makes one so high, mighty & privileged or chastized?

get yourself some of this! It works wonders really!

Thanks I appreciate that.
I'll look into it .

I got this from working on my farm, a repetitive motion and it just won't seem to go away.

You don't have to say, I'm not trying to pry or be nosey. I've been having a bad case of tennis elbow now for over 16 months. It won't seem to go away and casting can be painful at times.

Try one of these too!

They help and you can fish with it on. I used to wear one in the weight room doing some serious heavy lifting and it made a big difference.

Try one of these too!

They help and you can fish with it on. I used to wear one in the weight room doing some serious heavy lifting and it made a big difference.
Thanks!
You guys are great

Voltaren gel. Put a 1.5" - 2" dab on the forearm near tendon. Continue to rub deeply until it and the greasy feeling is gone. Add the snugged forearm strap when ready to fish.

The voltaren works deep and greatly reduces the pain. Properly apply the strap with the little pillow over the tendon connection and snug down. There's also a ratchet style from futura. I had the issue for 2 years. One tore off the bone and had to be reattached (you don't want that). I have several types of 'tennis elbow ' straps. Still wear for long days of back rowing and as support if throwing long casts all day.

FWIW, many will suggest steroid injection to the tendon connection. Almost 100% relief in 12-48 hours. Bad news: the relief may last 12 months or only one month. Also, it eat the tendon connection weakening it.

Last edited:
It does suck but it is my leg not the arm. I jammed my right leg in a strange fall and am feeling unsteady on my feet. Makes me more than a little nervous about wading.
Sorry to hear about your arm. Hope it clears up for you.

It does suck but it is my leg not the arm. I jammed my right leg in a strange fall and am feeling unsteady on my feet. Makes me more than a little nervous about wading.
Sorry to hear about your arm. Hope it clears up for you.
Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds worse than my situation. I wish you the best on that and hope it's only temporary

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds worse than my situation. I wish you the best on that and hope it's only temporary
Should be. I was in Philly yesterday for adjustments to my DBS implant and it seems somewhat better today. Time will tell, I guess.
I think I'm better off, because I have some discomfort but from the sound of it, you are in real pain. Plus, I can manage to find a spot to fish from shore or shallow water.

The Hemlock Boys are the Grenier boys of PA trout fishing. Yes, obscure Deliverance reference. You can find them....back over that way. 🤣
What a perfect cast in Deliverance. And a great director John Boorman. And James Dickey(author of the book) got a cameo as the sheriff at the end.

Long time ago, dated a gal from Waynesville / Maggie Valley area of NC. This guy was born, raised and still lived there at the time. Saw him walking out of the grocery store.

Attachments

• 98ba4045d4375b2889e43667647104eb_xl.jpg
    98ba4045d4375b2889e43667647104eb_xl.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
When a group of men refer to themselves as boys it usually is not a good thing.

Back