PA Opening Day plans

A Guy I was hunting with brought some tomato pie for lunch. We ate it cold and it was great. He lived in lower Bucks County or in that area. So for years I could never find any. I eventually found out tomato pie is typically made in bakeries and not in pizza shops or grocery stores.

I would not consider not finding any for years to be a bad thing.

High in the running for most overrated food, ever.

I was just asking why you assume a green weenie is taken as an egg pattern if there are no real fish eggs that color......
They are chartreuse. Yellowish/green. A very common trout color, many of which are eggs, including salmon eggs and power bait.

I've noticed I tend to get more rainbows when I fish green weenies. I've fished them and ran out, and substituted chartreuse glo bugs or sucker spawn in their place with no real change in success. I've also ran out of chartruese eggs slaying stockie bows, and substituted green weenies, with success. They are just very similar to a chartreuse egg pattern, except longer and skinnier, and hey, I've been trying to tie my glo bugs in a more elongated shape anyway to cover more of the hook shank and crowd the hook gap less. Lash some chartreuse stuff on a hook, and I don't care what you call it, it works on rainbows like dynamite, brookies are ok with it, and when suckers are running browns will take em too. I see no reason why a chartreuse sucker spawn is imitating eggs but a weenie is imitating an inchworm or caddis? It's chartreuse on a hook, it's the same thing. I don't know what the fish think it is, but they are really kinda doing the same thing. And I've seen guys running around tying pink weenies, cream weenies, peach weenies. Even redheaded weenies on cream, which seems a whole lot like blood dots to me. I mean, comon. This is the same color gamut as egg patterns here.

I do tie some more hunter green colored "weenies" as well, and while they have their place, they fish like a completely different fly.

Last edited:
So why do trout eat Velveeta blobs, corn & dough balls, are the vegans??

Is it because they think they are salmon eggs (which would be contrary to the vegan assumption) and where the heck are all these salmon who are laying these 1/4" diameter salmon eggs that fool them?? ;)

I guess trout ain't as bright as we want to believe... :)
Trout eat velveeta blobs because they get tired of eating mop flies and powerbaits. Hell they would probably eat some of that tomato pie if given the chance. Especially if was offered up by one of those Tenkara fisher people. 🤷‍♂️

So are we and so do we.

“Tomato Pie” = Pizza without cheese. Great idea Philly, really. That BS would never fly in the Burgh.
If there were French Fries on it it would fly in the Burgh lol. I spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh. You guys love French Fries on everything. You’re supposed to get a salad to be healthy… not out there… A salad comes with a half pound of French fries on it lol. 😂😂😂

There are actually a bunch of places that put some cheese on tomato pies. Not covering the whole pie like traditional pizza.

I saw a guy fishing and he had a can of corn and lima beans. He was using the corn which is the usual but then just for the heck of it he put on a lima bean and caught a stocked Brown of about 24".

I saw a guy fishing and he had a can of corn and lima beans. He was using the corn which is the usual but then just for the heck of it he put on a lima bean and caught a stocked Brown of about 24".
Now, that's a new one. Surprised it stayed on the hook long enough.

The Opening Day has been a High Holy Day for m family for generations. We would either go up to our camp near Caledonia or stay around home. If we go to the cabin it's up early and fish till 10 then throw out a huge breakfast for everyone. If we stay local it's breakfast by the stream put on by a local fire department. It's never about catching anything or fighting the crowds/ignorance. It's about family traditions and hanging out, smoking cigars and hoisting a few.

If there were French Fries on it it would fly in the Burgh lol. I spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh. You guys love French Fries on everything. You’re supposed to get a salad to be healthy… not out there… A salad comes with a half pound of French fries on it lol. 😂😂😂

There are actually a bunch of places that put some cheese on tomato pies. Not covering the whole pie like traditional pizza.
Years ago I spent some time in Quebec for work. We were probably half was between Montreal and Quebec City. French Fries came with everything. One night, we ordered Pizza and had it delivered to the Motel. Even that came with a large side of French Fries. Maybe that is French Canadian salad.

Any decent REAL Italian deli, meaning they sell Italian groceries and aren't just a hoagie shop usually sells tomato pie.

Five places off the top of my head that I can recommend are Altomonte's in Doylestown, Giacomo's in Quakertown, Carlino's in West Chester or Ardmore and Pagano's in Drexel Hill.

Dear Bamboozle,

In the Southern Tier of NY you can buy it in gas stations. It's something else I miss about Broome County.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Years ago I spent some time in Quebec for work. We were probably half was between Montreal and Quebec City. French Fries came with everything. One night, we ordered Pizza and had it delivered to the Motel. Even that came with a large side of French Fries. Maybe that is French Canadian salad.

Dear Dave,

Nah, it's a just different version of poutine for Italian-Quebecois.

Regards,

I was in Belgium and France, French Fries were served with mayo, not ketchup. Cool experience and I now like fries with mayo on occasion.

I never saw tomato pie in the Binghamton area. Maybe nevered looked at gas stations. Got great Spiedies and good pizza.

I never saw tomato pie in the Binghamton area. Maybe nevered looked at gas stations. Got great Spiedies and good pizza.

Dear falcon,

DiRienzo's Bakery across the NYSEG Stadium on Henry Street made it back in the time when I lived there. That was over 20 years ago though. Brozzetti's Pizza in Johnson City was another great place. Their pizza was very different but really good. Again, it's been a long time since I lived up there.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I was working up there several times. We would go to the Spiedie place on Vestal Hwy right by Binghamton University. They may have closed due to a fire. There was a pizza place next door Nirchi's ???? that was good but no tomato pie. This was 10 years ago or so.

The pizza was different but very good. My favorite pizza is still Old Forge style pizza in Avoca or Old Forge

Last edited:
I was working up there several times. We would go to the Spiedie place on Vestal Hwy right by Binghamton University. They may have closed due to a fire. There was a pizza place next door Nierchi's ???? that was good but no tomato pie. This was 10 years ago or so.

The pizza was different but very good. My favorite pizza is still Old Forge style pizza in Avoca or Old Forge
Dear falcon,

Yes, their still are several Nirchi's pizza places up there. Binghamton had awesome Italian restaurants too. Cortese and Little Venice would have been popular restaurants in Philly or NYC. But the best dive bar on the planet was Sharkey's on Glenwood Avenue. They had great cheap eats and cold draft beer, and the old fashioned shuffleboard tables with sawdust. They definitely closed a couple of years ago. I cried.

Regards,

Untitled design 37  31b3cf4c 0436 4826 8840 6489b8e8f726

Utica has a version, too. Never had it. Like lots of other places, it always has parm.

You can buy a version in grocery stores all across Upstate

Download 1

I worked in Owego which is about 20 miles west of Binghamton at Lockheed Martin. I stopped at Rossi's Pizza several times and it was very good. Some of the guys would get the Buffalo Chicken.

Back