PA Opening Day plans

I remain convinced green weenies, in many circumanstances, imitate eggs. I'm not arguing that they can't imitate inchworms and caddis and so forth. But comon, bright fluorescent greenish yellow thing. Eggs are among the things that they're taken for. Most "mop" flies do too.

Eggs absolutely are a natural bait, and in many locations and times, the majority of the diet. But when they're not part of the diet, there's like none of them, it's either a there in abundance or not there at all food. What's interesting is fish's response. In my experiences, egg patterns are effective on browns only when something is breeding. The sucker spawning period. Great lakes tribs chasing steelhead. And you wanna be fairly imitative with natural colors and such. But when nothing's breeding, they just don't work. With rainbows, egg patterns seem to work all the time, and you can get gaudy with them too.

I always used to think it was just stocked rainbows. It works so well on stocked bows I call it cheat code. It's my go to on places like the Tully and the Quittie and most stocked streams with rainbows. I don't run into wild ones all that often for testing. I will say, it's been many years now. But I remember an outing on Falling Springs. It was summer, low and clear, and a trico hatch in the morning where me and my fishing partner picked up a few. After the tricos ended, most, including me, were trying little midge patterns, tiny nymphs and such, and entice difficult fish, to little avail, fish wouldn't even move much, just drift to the side and calmly let everything pass. But before giving up for the day, I was like, they're rainbows, lets shake things up and see what happens, and put like a ridiculously bright pink size 8 glo bug on. It was like a supermodel walked into the PAFF jam, lol. As soon as it hit, rainbows were flying all around the hole. They'd run toward it, turn around and scoot 10 feet away from it at high speed, only to turn around again and charge it again. Multiple at a time would circle around it, and they'd chase each other too, the hole went from dead to full of energy. Like they were absolutely enraged at the thing, but intrigued at the same time, it was interesting to watch. How dare someone use a junk fly on such hallowed grounds, lol. But several took it and I landed them, and my buddy was like how'd you get them to hit? Uh.. Glo bugs. "You're f'in kidding, no way."

There's something about eggs and rainbows.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the words of encouragement and for reaffirming others advice. I’m going to give it my best and if I get skunked, well then nothing new. Besides, it’s the season opener after all, not the season closer!
Hey, the best part of the PA trout season is, there is no season for fishing for trout, only to harvesting them. You will learn these things in due time. But if you want some free fly fishing lessons, feel free to travel to my area and I will gladly teach you some things. Probably give you some flies, too. Just PM me if interested.

I remain convinced green weenies, in many circumanstances, imitate eggs.
I have never heard this correlation made and never made this supposition myself. What fish in our PA trout streams have eggs that resemble that bright, chartreuse green color?

The only egg patterns I carry are sucker spawn tied with acrylic yellow yarn. You can only have so many boxes and patterns before that vest or sling pack is just too heavy. I don't fish eggs all that often, but yes they are DYNAMITE for stockie bows. And so are those hot pink San Juans....

What fish in our PA trout streams have eggs that resemble that bright, chartreuse green color?
And what real life eggs are super fluorescent pink, or have sparkle flash all over them?

Chartreuse is a very common color for jarred salmon eggs, power bait, as well as glo bugs, sucker spawn, etc. For your centerpinner types, chartreuse beads are common. Heck, I don't know if I've ever heard the word chartreuse outside of a trout fishing context!

Ever fish real skein? Fresh it's peachish orange. As it gets older it turns mainly cream/white with hints of that peachish orange, and streaks of blood and often "sinus infection snot yellow", lol, and eventually even bluish at times. Never hot pink or bright chartreuse, but I see where that comes from, kind of an exaggeration of the real thing.

When fishing eggs, I generally start with pastels. Light pink, cream, peach. But it's a very common thing you immediately get some fish and bites, and then it dies off. A switch in color usually creates a few new bites, before it too dies off. And you just keep switching colors, moving to the more gaudy stuff, even blues and purples. Glo-bugs are just so easy to tie, I don't think they work better or worse than sucker spawn, mop flies, weenies, or anything, they're just quick. I add a little weight underneath or even a beadhead or cone, because they sink like crap if you don't, but a box full of a billion colors of egg patterns is a stand by for any great lakes trip or stockie rainbow trip, and it works during the sucker spawn on browns too. My egg box probably has close to 100 egg patterns in it when fully stocked.

I only throw a few in my main fly box (Richardson) though, because it's pretty predictable where I'll be interested in using eggs, and I don't carry the egg box everywhere. If on Penns Creek in May, it's very doubtful, just extra junk to carry so I don't. If on the Tully after a stocking, it's probably what I'm reaching to first, don't forget the egg box! I haven't been to the Tully in a while, but if you get near the stocking point, catching 20 on eggs isn't unusual at all.

Last edited:
I don't broadly hate the stocking program in its entirety. My issue is the stocking in 1,268.65 miles of native brook trout streams. Until that changes, I'm refusing to buy a PA license, fish in PA, or promote PA fishing in any way shape, or form.
So why are you even a member here ? Just leave so the rest of don't have to scroll past someone who has no interest in PA trout fishing other than to whine about it.

And what real life eggs are super fluorescent pink, or have sparkle flash all over them?

Chartreuse is a very common color for jarred salmon eggs, power bait, as well as glo bugs, sucker spawn, etc. For your centerpinner types, chartreuse beads are common. Heck, I don't know if I've ever heard the word chartreuse outside of a trout fishing context!

Ever fish real skein? Fresh it's peachish orange. As it gets older it turns mainly cream/white with hints of that peachish orange and often "sinus infection snot yellow", lol. Never hot pink or bright chartreuse, but I see where that comes from, kind of an exaggeration of the real thing.

When fishing eggs, I generally start with pastels. Light pink, cream, peach. But it's a very common thing you immediately get some fish and bites, and then it dies off. A switch in color usually creates a few new bites, before it too dies off. And you just keep switching colors, moving to the more gaudy stuff, even blues and purples. Glo-bugs are just so easy to tie, I don't think they work better or worse than sucker spawn, mop flies, weenies, or anything, they're just quick. I add a little weight underneath or even a beadhead or cone, because they sink like crap if you don't, but a box full of a billion colors of egg patterns is a stand by for any great lakes trip or stockie rainbow trip, and it works during the sucker spawn on browns too. My egg box probably has close to 100 egg patterns in it when fully stocked.

I only throw a few in my main fly box (Richardson) though, because it's pretty predictable where I'll be interested in using eggs, and I don't carry the egg box everywhere. If on Penns Creek in May, it's very doubtful, just extra junk to carry so I don't. If on the Tully after a stocking, it's probably what I'm reaching to first, don't forget the egg box! I haven't been to the Tully in a while, but if you get near the stocking point, catching 20 on eggs isn't unusual at all.
These work too and again, another color not found naturally. As someone said, stockers eat anything 🫣

Attachments

• 929ABAAD-4DCA-4FFE-AC59-87BB1FCDC1EF.jpeg
    929ABAAD-4DCA-4FFE-AC59-87BB1FCDC1EF.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 13

Lots of conventional lures and soft plastics come in chartreuse. I used to pour lots of homemade soft plastics in Chartreuse.....I mean a Rapala Fire Tiger is a pretty good walleye bait.....it's Chartreuse.

Ever fish real skein? Fresh it's peachish orange. As it gets older it turns mainly cream/white with hints of that peachish orange, and streaks of blood and often "sinus infection snot yellow", lol, and eventually even bluish at times. Never hot pink or bright chartreuse, but I see where that comes from, kind of an exaggeration of the real thing.
Yeah, peach, pink, orange, yellow, and red. These are common colors found in fish eggs. It is probably why KERN is an effective bait. You're right, no real eggs are bright fluorescent pink that I am aware of, but it is an exaggeration or similar color to red and orange, which are natural egg colors.

I was just asking why you assume a green weenie is taken as an egg pattern if there are no real fish eggs that color......My frenchies, with their bright red, pink, and orange hotspots, are egg patterns. Learning new things all of the time.

Sucker spawn.....used to get up oh dark thirty to fish a classic linestoner. We'd use these tiny 24's and the like on 7, 8x. Caught tons of small trout. There used to be tons of these big browns laying around like gators on a canal in FL. One morning saw a guy catch three of them in a row and I scurried away from the dimpling little ones to see what he was doing. He had this bright chartreuse chunk of nothing on a hook he'd flip out there. Looked like an easter egg in the clear water.
"Why in the world do they take that?" I asked.
"FIsh don't have hands," he answered. "How else they going to check it out?"
So next week I burned up I 80 getting back them with a bunch of them in the box. Damn fish took them every time. We called them a Flam Fly after a buddy who disdained all the ceremony of fly fishing heritage. Burned up up all over central PA with them...never knew it was called Sucker Spawn until reading here.

Sucker spawn.....used to get up oh dark thirty to fish a classic linestoner. We'd use these tiny 24's and the like on 7, 8x. Caught tons of small trout. There used to be tons of these big browns laying around like gators on a canal in FL. One morning saw a guy catch three of them in a row and I scurried away from the dimpling little ones to see what he was doing. He had this bright chartreuse chunk of nothing on a hook he'd flip out there. Looked like an easter egg in the clear water.
"Why in the world do they take that?" I asked.
"FIsh don't have hands," he answered. "How else they going to check it out?"
So next week I burned up I 80 getting back them with a bunch of them in the box. Damn fish took them every time. We called them a Flam Fly after a buddy who disdained all the ceremony of fly fishing heritage. Burned up up all over central PA with them...never knew it was called Sucker Spawn until reading here.
Sucker Spawn is a classic fly that has been fished in PA for quite a while. Tis a mighty good fly at times of the year. A fly the rainbow trout love. A fly the wild brows will gobble up for several months of the year. A fly the gemmies will eat at any time. A fly that is easy to tie. A fly that is cheap. A fly that yarn can be bought for at Wal-Mart or Dollar General. Tis a mighty good fly.

So I learned hahahaha. Ribbing it with red thread really made me feel authentic tying it!

A Guy I was hunting with brought some tomato pie for lunch. We ate it cold and it was great. He lived in lower Bucks County or in that area. So for years I could never find any. I eventually found out tomato pie is typically made in bakeries and not in pizza shops or grocery stores.

Last edited:
I think eating it cold or at room temp is the most common consumption style.

Tom, you do realize that fish eggs are a natural diet item that trout consume right? I'm willing to bet there are several on this board that have witnessed trout hanging just downstream of white suckers spawning early spring.

I guess you aren't a fan of green weenies either, but trout eat lots of green inchworms, small caterpillars and some species of caddis larvae are green and large enough that a green weenie isn't out of the realm of an imitation.

So why do trout eat Velveeta blobs, corn & dough balls, are the vegans??

Is it because they think they are salmon eggs (which would be contrary to the vegan assumption) and where the heck are all these salmon who are laying these 1/4" diameter salmon eggs that fool them?? ;)

I guess trout ain't as bright as we want to believe... :)

A Guy I was hunting with brought some tomato pie for lunch. We ate it cold and it was great. He lived in lower Bucks County or in that area. So for years I could never find any. I eventually found out tomato pie is typically made in bakeries and not in pizza shops or grocery stores.

Any decent REAL Italian deli, meaning they sell Italian groceries and aren't just a hoagie shop usually sells tomato pie.

Five places off the top of my head that I can recommend are Altomonte's in Doylestown, Giacomo's in Quakertown, Carlino's in West Chester or Ardmore and Pagano's in Drexel Hill.

Back