Orvis Announcement

I am pretty good at saving my pennies,
and shopping around.
Fortunate & very happy with my collection of MidPriced keepers ranging from #3-#9.
Although my skills r modest,
My emotions r strong for the very first 5# rod I purchased from Carlisle Walmart for $20.
In honor of Tony Keith ( I Love This Bar)...
I love this rod...❤️

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_052432039~2.jpg
    PXL_20240207_052432039~2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 42
Ha. So much for the claims about innovative marketing...
In the video he mentioned small stream, euro, dry fly, streamer, big game, etc- but seems a little more limited than I had expected.

Was hoping to see an ~11 foot 4 weight in the mix. That has become my favorite rod for big water nymphing with fast changeover to throwing dries and micro streamers.

For anyone who is interested.
IMO, the only interesting feature is 25% increase in strength. I'm a bit skeptical about the "4x more accurate" "tip displacement" "we can prove it" mumbo jumbo. I don't know that anyone is actually going to be able to notice that or be able to verify or contradict that claim in any meaningful way. Ok, so that more than a bit skeptical.

I'm sure it'll be a fine rod anyway. I can't see Orvis trying to reinvent the wheel here when past versions of the Helios have been so popular.

Only 1200 bucks. I hope it comes with a sticker or better yet an Orvis Helios hat to really ramp up the jealousy factor.

OK, one more cynical thought: How much is the upcharge for the Blackout version that hides that hideous white logo band? 🤣

This thread was made for silent ocelot, wheres he at, haha

I just bought an H3F 5wt for about 40% off. The white label does not bother me. I have fished the rod and have no complaints.

OK, one more cynical thought: How much is the upcharge for the Blackout version that hides that hideous white logo band? 🤣
They're going for the old white Shakespeare Wonderod look.

Does 4x more accurate equate to 4x more fish? That will really inflate some egos.

For a fraction of the price you can also go with a certified casting instructor and actually practice regularly on the lawn. Now all your rods are more accurate in your hands.

White label aside, I think the new real seat is hideous with the silver.

95 percent fishing gear is made to catch fisherman not fish. Companies have to come up with new products to stay in business. Most people think the higher the price the better the product, that's not always the case.

I never understood the white label hate!! It looks pretty cool to me. As far as price range, a rod is personal…. It’s what speaks to your casting stroke. I always think it’s crazy when people buy a rod online without casting it first. I own a r8 core and a cheap Cabela’s prime glass rod for $50 and several between those price points and can’t say one is “better” than the other. It’s all personal preference.

Does 4x more accurate equate to 4x more fish? That will really inflate some egos.

For a fraction of the price you can also go with a certified casting instructor and actually practice regularly on the lawn. Now all your rods are more accurate in your hands....

It could...

I'm not saying the claims are true but the accuracy of a rod can have a lot to do with the material it is made of (think modulus & scrim material), the taper and how that material & taper responds to the mechanics of casting. Those elements also contribute to the dampening of tip oscillation and tracking.

Factor in the line weight used, the casting distance, fishing conditions, etc. and your presentation could be off more than a foot until you make adjustments. I don't know where you fish but that could easily translate on many streams to a few less fish fish fooled during an outing...

I'm not implying that casting instruction won't help, but even a casting instructor will be more accurate if the tool he or she chooses is more accurate.

Reactions: CRB
Back