Orvis Announcement

Nah, I'm sure they'll be nice though. The H3's are sweet rods, I've fished them a few times with guides.

I prefer my gen 1 Recon, which I picked up when the gen 2 Recon's came out.
On my 3rd season with a Helios 9' - 5wt D
I remember thinking after the first cast with that rod... Holy ****, this thing is a rocket.

Orvis should have info available to the average Joe what line the rod preferred on average as there is a myriad of lines these days.

BAM,
I've guided or fished with people that purchased super fast performance rods but had beginner skills. They've struggled with their gear and excelled with lower end stuff I've lent them. Some have asked to buy my gear at the end of the day because it was so much easier to use.

I don't think most are buying for componentry or finish... they're getting caught up in hype or salesmanship at the shop. A Redington CT 590 would be more than enough for 85+ percent of Pa trouting
Agree wholeheartedly.

Orvis should have info available to the average Joe what line the rod preferred on average as there is a myriad of lines these days.
Well thats easy they are going to sell you an orvis pro line for the prescribed rod weight. Would you like that textured or smooth sir?

I prefer the manufacturer to give me a line grain window, not a specific line. I'll chose the taper profile based on the application.

I know Scott does this, I have no idea if Orvis does it. I have no plans to buy anything from Orvis, so I didn't look.

Correct, usually a grain window or a master was used during development stage. They aren't going to build a dry fly rod that likes a Titan taper. But yes, noise or silent line?

Based on Rosenbauer's non-announcement on his podcast, sounds like Orvis is set to announce the H4s tomorrow.

Anyone gonna run out and buy one? Any inside info on what the changes will be? Will we get a new industry standard pricepoint jump to $2000??

I will never be able to afford one of these rods. Just curious about others' opinions.
I wouldn't mind Ferrarri fly rods if they made Toyota Camry rods too. They intentionally don't make more affordable, nicer casting rods: on purpose heavier or too stiff or what ever. A rod company surely could do what they do with a $500 rod and have it cast more nicely. But if it was a joy to cast, as many fly rods have been with different tapers and technologies over the years, it would maybe bite into their premium rods. That's probably the plan. The intentionally flawed rods sort of "pay" for the luxury-class rods.
Rod companies have been making too many different types of rods with all the blank-making technologies that are too good over the years to have $500-$600 rods with the notable flaws they have. Sure, they work, but if you're a good caster with experience with lots of rods over the years, it just leaves one wodering. It's just not my ethic. Cars should come with car mats just like they should have air in the tires. But it's not the way of the industry and we are worse off for it.

rod sales are slowing down... they had a big bump with the pandemic, now everyone has rods, and because the economy is sliding, they'll have a hard time to continue selling 1k$ rods.
I think they are in a market model where they HAVE to sell some $1000 rods to those people who will buy them to make their hay. And so they also have to 'churn' their models. This keeps those buyers forking over their $$$. I have a few Helios rods and think the 1st generation were as nice casting as anything. You aren't going to get really 'better' than that, or a Loomis NRX or Scott Radian. Just different. I just see it as superfluous Bull$#!t, which, according to my character, I detest. If someone burps loudly and insults mothers, well, it is a free country, but that person is still a horrible character. Nothing and noone is free of judgement.

The first and only online flyrod store I checked has the H4s priced the highest, followed by (out of stock) H3s. Upper-mid price are Recons, followed by Superfine glass. At the low end are the Clearwater, followed by Encounter (kits). I only know very little about marketing and sales, but I do know it's a common business practice to provide at least three quality-for-price level rankings, with the hoped-for result being the largest quantity of the mid-range items will be sold. Direct sales, brick-and-mortar store displays, catalogs, and online websites all do it.

I wouldn't mind Ferrarri fly rods if they made Toyota Camry rods too. They intentionally don't make more affordable, nicer casting rods: on purpose heavier or too stiff or what ever. A rod company surely could do what they do with a $500 rod and have it cast more nicely. But if it was a joy to cast, as many fly rods have been with different tapers and technologies over the years, it would maybe bite into their premium rods. That's probably the plan. The intentionally flawed rods sort of "pay" for the luxury-class rods.

For $500-600 you get one hell of a rod these days. Look no farther than the Orvis Recon.

if you want the lightest and latest generation of graphite, yeah you are paying for it. But there are plenty of rods available for much less than $1K that are fantastic.

IMO, there is far, far, far less difference between a $500 rod and a $1000 rod than there is between a $150 rod and a $300-400 rod.

I think if your fishing bonefish, big rivers, lakes etc, new technology is going to win out.

Why does anyone need new technology in a1000 dollar+ rod to fish a small wild trout stream is beyond me.

First Generation Orvis Graphite like a Far n Fine is still a wonderful caster and is perfect for those types of streams.

Yeah, you aren't Euro Nymphing but it's still a great rod. While they became popular and their price went up, I could still own 4 of them at these prices and it is regarded as one of the sweetest tapers in graphite ever.

They reduced the prices on the Helios 3's so I picked up a 3F 4 wt at about 1/2 price. Used it once so far and can't believe how light it is. Should be my main rod this summer. Paired it with a Hydros II, very well balanced.

Went to our local Orvis Store a few weekends ago while they were having a "try-out" event for the new Helios rods and was truly amazed at how nice they are. It cast effortlessly. Admittedly I'm relatively new to fly fishing, but these rods felt way better than anything else I have or have tried. But then there's the $1100 thing.

Went to our local Orvis Store a few weekends ago while they were having a "try-out" event for the new Helios rods and was truly amazed at how nice they are. It cast effortlessly. Admittedly I'm relatively new to fly fishing, but these rods felt way better than anything else I have or have tried. But then there's the $1100 thing.

I still can't wrap my head around that price point. I just don't know how an $1100 rod catches fish any better than a $300 rod. To each their own, I suppose!

I still can't wrap my head around that price point. I just don't know how an $1100 rod catches fish any better than a $300 rod. To each their own, I suppose!
I wish I could fish enough to justify spending 1000+ on a rod. I also wish I was a good enough angler to know if a 1000+ dollar rod equaled a better catch rate.

Because of that, I agree with you.

However, a lot of that money is due to the fact that the rods are made in the USA. I think that most people have a hard time grasping the difference in labor costs here vs China / Taiwan / Korea / Indonesia.

I think the advantage of an expensive fly rod vs a cheap fly rod shows itself more with certain species of fish in certain locations and/or conditions.
As far as angler skill level, I've put expensive rods in the hands of inexperienced casters and still saw some improvement. Not much, but a difference they noticed as well.

That said, the majority of trout fisherman who cast 30' do not need an $1100 fly rod to catch fish, and the one's who lob the fly to their shoe laces just need a cane pole.

Back