Orvis Announcement

Sort of on the subject, I just wanted to mention that my St. Croix Imperial 7' 3wt cost me $260 at Cabela's in 2019. The same rod is now selling for $396. I was amazed at the increase.
I have one that I bought probably 10-12 years before you and I believe it was like $160 . . .

Almost every "new" rod I ever purchased was purchased AFTER the manufacturer discontinued the model or product line.

They were all purchased from dealers, I got no less than 40% off and all came with the full (useless) warranty.

In my case this was a long time ago so we aren't talking anywhere NEAR $1000 plus MSRP. The good news is based on completed eBay sales I seen, I could sell most if not all of them in 2024 for no less than what I paid on discount but in a lot of cases considerably more.

I didn't buy them as an investment, I bought them because I like them so the fact they are still being sought ain't a bad thing... I somehow have a feeling that won't be the case with rods priced well over $1000 in 20 years but who knows...

Well, you could have spent $876,000 on Mark Knopfler's 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard a week ago at the Christie's auction with makes a Helios seem awfully cheap...

Don't know if would help your playing though... ;)
I’m the same. Been fly fishing since 1974. Started buying my own rods long ago. Bought majority on eBay for under $100 with most in mint condition. Looking through photos of the rods is huge and great deals have been fairly common.

Reels are a different story. My trout reels are just line holders so I buy cheap ones. But Salmon, Steelhead and lake run Browns require an awesome drag system with a large Arbor design. I spend up to $250 on lightly used “Quality Reels” on eBay. These reels need to be smooth.

Back