Newbie Fish and Chips Day on the LL

Fox and H.A.

If it is up and discolored,but fish-able, what flies do you recommend for newbies to have handy?

I'm guessing that wooly buggers would be one of them.

Dave

Dave, you are quickly becoming a non-Newbie. Yep, WB's and other streamers would be our best choice. I think the tricos would still come off but whether fish would rise to them is outside my experience realm.

Well, looks like about a half inch of rain is yet to come. The stream is at 252 right now. It'll probably be off color, but fishable.

If things happen just right, it could be an epic day of trico fishing. Some of my best days have come when the stream was off color and dropping. The fish hang just below the surface, sipping tricos. You can see them, but they can't see you, since their "window" is so small due to being just under the surface. They don't get a long look at your immitation, so they feed less selectively. You have to be pretty accurate with your casts to get it into their feeding lane, but you can also cheat and drag it into their lane by casting upstream and beyond them. Pull the fly into their feeding lane, and then let it drift naturally. Timing is everything.

If the stars line up correctly, it could be easy fishing. Or we'll just have to chuck streamers. Sculpins kick butt in high and off color conditions. It's your best opportunity to hook into one of those big pig browns that are normally nocturnal.

On the downside, I won't get there until @ 7am. Gotta work. This applies to next weekend as well. I tied up a bunch of tricos for people that don't have any, and I'll have my leader building supplies along for folks that don't have leaders for this type of fishing. The shop doesn't open until 9am, so this could be a problem for those in need. I'll be at the tables outside of the shop @ 7am for those that need anything to get started (or continue) fishing.

Fox - I'm thinking you might not have room in your vehicle for that 10' rod - what with all the extra rain gear and all..... ;-)

H.A.

well that sounds reasuring. HA what's the cut off CFS if you had to put a number on it?

I'm planning on leaving at 5am and want to be able to make my own judgement call should the board not yet be updated.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Fox - I'm thinking you might not have room in your vehicle for that 10' rod - what with all the extra rain gear and all..... ;-)

H.A.

Darn and I was so hoping to be able to bring the 10 footer. Bummer. :roll:

I'll have my leader building supplies along for folks that don't have leaders for this type of fishing.

I will say that the trico leader you gave me last year was hands down the best leader I have ever used. Roll over and presentation was great....so much better than the leaders you buy at the store (unfortunately that all I have in 5x and 6x)

What type of leaders do you guys suggest for BH Buggers and streamers? All my leaders are 9ft. Should I cut one down and get it ready for streamers. What would be a good length? I have 4x tippet material.

Steven - Break out the spinning line, and use a hunk of 10lb test mono or fluorocarbon. About 5 or 6' would do nicely.

I'll happily tie you one when I get there. Trico leaders as well.

4X is perfect for streamers.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Steven - Break out the spinning line, and use a hunk of 10lb test mono or fluorocarbon. About 5 or 6' would do nicely.

I'll happily tie you one when I get there. Trico leaders as well.

Can you tie me a few too, please. You know I'm such a newbie too. :-D

The LL, has been pretty muddy the lst couple of days, check the stream gauge as well.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?site_no=01451500
Right now it's at 257, but my guess is that it's still pretty brown.

Chaz wrote:
The LL, has been pretty muddy the lst couple of days, check the stream gauge as well.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?site_no=01451500
Right now it's at 257, but my guess is that it's still pretty brown.

Again check back before heading up. H-A knows this stream but there are a lot of "ifs" in his assessment. I just looked at accuweather and the hourly forecast shows rain (not showers) on and off this afternoon but steady from 6PM to after midnight. I know I'm going to regret it but if that forecast plays out, I'll probably not make the drive.

I know DD, my ears are already burning.

Just got off the phone with Dave (Heritage Fly Shop). The stream is off color, but is more green, than brown. Definitely fishable right now.

Everything depends on how the rain falls. Accuweather is predicting .44 inches of rain between now and tomorrow morning. If we get it all at once, it'll be chocolate milk. If it is spread out pretty well between now and tomorrow morning, it'll probably be much as it is now, color wise. Dave concurs with this asessment.

Dave is gonna try to get there earlier than 9am, and is stocked up on all things for trico fishing. He also has cheap drinks ($1) in good supply.

Keep your fingers crossed - we might hit it just right.

I'll be there around 7am regardless.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Just got off the phone with Dave (Heritage Fly Shop). The stream is off color, but is more green, than brown. Definitely fishable right now.

Everything depends on how the rain falls. Accuweather is predicting .44 inches of rain between now and tomorrow morning. If we get it all at once, it'll be chocolate milk. If it is spread out pretty well between now and tomorrow morning, it'll probably be much as it is now, color wise. Dave concurs with this asessment.

Dave is gonna try to get there earlier than 9am, and is stocked up on all things for trico fishing. He also has cheap drinks ($1) in good supply.

Keep your fingers crossed - we might hit it just right.

I'll be there around 7am regardless.

Okay, now I'm second guessing myself. Maybe it will be worth the drive. Still check with this thread. Damn I hope H-A's assessment comes true. Could be some fun fishing folks.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

In other words, water is only ankle deep in the shop. No problem! :-D

H.A. Wrote:
Everything depends on how the rain falls. Accuweather is predicting .44 inches of rain between now and tomorrow morning. If we get it all at once, it'll be chocolate milk.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
H.A. Wrote:
Everything depends on how the rain falls. Accuweather is predicting .44 inches of rain between now and tomorrow morning. If we get it all at once, it'll be chocolate milk.

If you look closely you can see a few rises in that river. :-D

That reminds me of how the Lackawanna River used to look when I was a youngster. (I was going to say growing up, but I knew Fox would have something to say about that)

Foxgap239 wrote:
In other words, water is only ankle deep in the shop. No problem! :-D

When the water table rises, the spring under the shop comes up through the cracks in the floor. Dave just turned on the sump pump, which means probably around an inch of water in the shop, or so. No problem.....yet.

Geez Stagger, that chick between Gene Wilder and the chubby chick looks like Fox with a wig on. :lol: :-o :-o :-o

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Geez Stagger, that chick between Gene Wilder and the chubby chick looks like Fox with a wig on. :lol: :-o :-o :-o

I agree, but I'd have ta add hoodie and earmuffs to the picture to be sure! ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
[Geez Stagger, that chick between Gene Wilder and the chubby chick looks like Fox with a wig on. :lol: :-o :-o :-o

That is just SO wrong on so many levels!

Back