Newbie Fish and Chips Day on the LL

delta_dog wrote:
I'll be leaving my house at 0330 and getting there around 0500. I want to make sure I get a good parking spot. :-D
Last time we met up I was the ONLY car in the lot at 5:45.

Got the hall pass from the wife for the 28th, just flipping an appt which I should confirm tomorrow. Don't think I'll be there @ 5:30; looking at 7ish unless I get up earlier.

What hrs are the best fishing this time of year?

50/50 if I will stay for lunch but I would still like to bring up burgers or dawgs if you guys are grilling

djs12354 wrote:
Does anyone have a head count for the 21st and 28th?

Depending on who comes down with me, I'll shoot for early am on the 28th

Dave

Great point Dave. The 21st is not as crucial for a head count as the 28th but it would be nice to know. Please repond with a short post something like:

Fox:
21st - yes, at zero dark thirty
28th - yes, maybe at zero dark thirty

Thanks.

I'll get a list out later today or tomorrow based on responses. :-D

H.A. - yes 21st zero-dark-thirty
- yes 28th zero-dark-thirty

Unless I have to work the night before - then it's 7am.

You could be a real pal and bring me a cup of your 96 octane coffee both mornings. :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
You could be a real pal and bring me a cup of your 96 octane coffee both mornings. :cool:

I'll be sure to bring them but after a 90 minute drive, I ain't saying they'll still be warm!

delta_dog
- yes 21st zero-dark-thirty

On the 28th i'm bringing baked beans. We need a head count so we know how much food to bring.

Oh, it'll be warm. It's a self-sustaining chemical chain reaction in a cup.

Seriously - one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had.

You could destroy Starbucks with that brew.

delta_dog wrote:
delta_dog
- yes 21st zero-dark-thirty

On the 28th i'm bringing baked beans. We need a head count so we know how much food to bring.

< gee, is this a surprise......................NOT! LMAO. Can you say 10 footer? :lol:

gee, is this a surprise......................NOT! LMAO. Can you say 10 footer

I sure can.....and it's usually with a smile on my face! :-D

joseywales - 28th - yes. Oh god hundred..

Well.....technically, da Fox is right. Female trico duns start coming off at first light. Trico nymphs fished in the riffles work well too.

The spinners hit the water around 9AM two days ago, and that was down in the parkway on shaded water. They'll probably hit the water earlier up by the fly shop - my guess is about 8 AM, or so.

You might have good luck throwing ants or beetles along the banks. Be stealthy like ninja.

So I did some fly shopping few weeks back and have ants, beetles, and a few hoppers.

What exactly are trico's, trico nymps and spinners?

What fly's do you guys recommend I bring along?

What time do u think we stop fishing if we are 80+ degree (or warmer considering the heat the past month) and sunny as not to stress out the fish?

I'll be there on the 28th. Probably arrive around 630.

I saw the trico hatch for the first time a few weeks ago and you're going to want trico's. Definitely trico spinners. When they fall the surface is loaded with them and that's what the fish key in on. Not to say you may not catch them on terrestrials or something else but it's the trico hatch we're all waking up early for.

delta_dog wrote:
gee, is this a surprise......................NOT! LMAO. Can you say 10 footer

I sure can.....and it's usually with a smile on my face! :-D

AWWWW...hey now! Get a room!

Stagger_Lee wrote:

What time do u think we stop fishing if we are 80+ degree (or warmer considering the heat the past month) and sunny as not to stress out the fish?

Andrew, Tricos are tiny black dots that you throw at fish and pray for some sign of a take (JK- mostly). If you're going the 28th I have some spinners and duns for you.

In the mean time: Really tiny bug information.

21st----zero dark thirty
28th---sadly no....

21st-Try to make it by 8 or earlier
28th-Working

Stagger_Lee wrote:

So I did some fly shopping few weeks back and have ants, beetles, and a few hoppers.

If you want to see the tied fly, or learn to the tie the fly yourself, just Google Al's trico (under video). Al Miller was an master who fished the Lehigh and he created that particular pattern. There are various ways to tie them, but at least you'll see what they look like. Think small, 24 or 26 size hooks. I tried tying them, but this was literally my first attempt at fly tying. Damn near nailed it and will try again when I get home from vacation.

Back