Need some input on a product I'm designing

RleeP brings up a good point. Organizing stuff takes up entirely way too much time. If you could design it as just a big box, in which I could just randomly toss things in, I think that would be ideal.

Jason,

This will be marketed for a mobile set up. Will come in a case, with seperat inserts for material, tools, thread and such. I do not want to replace home tying stations but create better mobile set ups. Targeted for fishing trips, and guys that tie at work, or something like that. IF you are going to a friends hous to teach them you can pull this product out and just start tying.

If friends are prerequisite for using this product, then I don't think it's the product for me. Can you design one for the loner, likes to keep to himself, type?

I like the idea of a drink holder, cigar ash tray, Ipod dock and speaker set up, plus a place to play you tube videos. You add surround sound and I will buy one :) The racing stripes I could do without and to be honest the drink holder isn't totally necessary but would still be pretty cool.

Jason, come on don't lie... You've got a friend in Pennsylvania.

lol Jason i cant understand why you wouldn't have friends ;)

It will be function for any one who would want the ability to take their tying stuff with them on trips, or anything of that nature.

NickR wrote:
I like the idea of a drink holder, cigar ash tray, Ipod dock and speaker set up, plus a place to play you tube videos. You add surround sound and I will buy one :) The racing stripes I could do without and to be honest the drink holder isn't totally necessary but would still be pretty cool.

Jason, come on don't lie... You've got a friend in Pennsylvania.

Brilliant right? Also lots of magnet strips to hold hooks tools etc. Magnets are great. But how do they work?

Nick, PM me we will get together and develop our Mobile Mancave Tying outfit, and compete with Mike's.

PROFIT!!!

Patent pending on the racing stripes so don't even think about stealing that idea from me. However, they are available for a reasonable licensing fee.

Hover board capabilities > racing stripes

Hover board capabilities? Reducing the need for wheels... good innovation.

Thanks for the input on the magnets. I have the thing drawin up with counter sunk area for magnet installation. it will have great functionality since it is counter sunk. You wond be able to bump the hooks and make them fall all over the place.

This being said my current set up is me table in my den and a tote filled with all of my tools and such hap-harzardly placed through out.

I did just purchase a cheap plastic drawer set for my nymph stuff.

mike_richardson wrote:
Thanks for the input on the magnets.

Magnets, how will they work?

How compact is this expected to be? Would it fit under the seat in front of you on an airplane?

Actualy, I wonder if you could even bring it on a plane with dangerous items like dubbing needles and scissors?

If you do go the patent route do not use one of those fly by night patent companies, get a patent attorney and do it right.

Speaking from experience, skip the patent idea, imo it's not worth it. You can spend up to $20,000 to get the patent and for what the right to sue? Just imagine what that will cost you to stop knockoffs. If what you produce is all that, then you will be better off and $20,000 ahead of the game.

Magnetic sign board works great for keeping those little hooks you drop under control.and as for the rest 3 pair of shears,big,med,small,At least 4 bobbins,White,red,black and gell spun.2 hackel clamps,2 whip finish tools,Large and small,bobbin threader,Hair stackers large and med.Bubbing loop tool,assorted pins and needles.No pins for thread or floss unless the are out out the way and can be solo not stacked.I like to keep them seperate. Places for glues and clear coats. AND of course racing strips and a kooly holder.Cant wait to see it.

Here’s my portable tying station..
Oh, I did not make it.
8575459930_f4b3e3101b_o.jpg

8574367065_1eb2fe54d6_o.jpg

8574367131_65508c6936_o.jpg

8575460192_36a3e3d40c_o.jpg

Brad,

Where did you buy that? Did someone custom make it for you or is it commercially produced? It doesn't look like it's much bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

Flames > Stripes

Brad doesn't need a whole lot he only ties 5 flies...LOL

GreenWeenie wrote:
Brad,

Where did you buy that? Did someone custom make it for you or is it commercially produced? It doesn't look like it's much bigger than a medium sized suitcase.

A guy named Mike Hampton from the Williamsport area made it for me over 15 years ago.
He is a very talented fish carver also. I have no idea where he is now. I also have a wooden rod & reel box that has a small tying station built into it from Mike.

Back