Is Fly Fishing Humane?

I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses to my post. I thought many interesting points were made.

I do want to say one thing about if fish feel pain. I think we are right, that fish have a less developed nervous system than we do. On the other hand, I'm sure they are not having fun being reeled in.

But I will say this, I do love fly fishing, and even if I strive to be more humane and perhaps occasionally feel guilty, I'll be fly fishing for a long time.

flyfishermanj wrote:
Rabbi,

You do make some good points, having a brother who is a minister and fishing with him and other men of the cloth. I have encountered this topic before. Padriac hits the nail on the head:

"Flyfishing is, afterall, a time-consuming passion. However, it also inspires me and many others to do good. We work for educating people about the value of environment, push for cleaning up impaired streams and do much of such work ourselves along to name a few examples"

Not being able to fish is inhumane to me. Fish live by a different set of rules, "Eat or be Eaten" .

As for the C&R thing, If we didn't pratice it, we would be reading about fishing in the history books.

JH

I really enjoyed this response. It's always good to hear about other clergy members who like to fish. I would tell you that fly fishing is a very spiritual experience, and helps us connect to nature and to ourselves.

Rabbi:

I just check out your blog. Good stuff !!

RabbiEE wrote:
..... On the other hand, I'm sure they are not having fun being reeled in.
And I'm not having any fun having to come into work every day instead of fishing, but we all have our crosses to bear. :-D

RabbiEE wrote:
...... I would tell you that fly fishing is a very spiritual experience, and helps us connect to nature and to ourselves.

AMEN!

Rabbi, that small "bass" on your website? It's not a bass. It's a pumpkinseed sunfish, and one over 6 inches would be considered large.

I also enjoyed your site.

FarmerDave wrote:
Rabbi, that small "bass" on your website? It's not a bass. It's a pumpkinseed sunfish, and one over 6 inches would be considered large.

I also enjoyed your site.

Dave,

Thanks for letting me know. But I'm sad to report that the fish was probably about 4 or 5 inches.

Rabbi

Wow, Padraic's fears have been put aside. I must admit, like Pad, I expected that this issue could become nasty (it has in the past). Maybe its because it was posed by a Rabbi. Maybe because it was posed in a well written and thought out manner. Maybe everyone is just too darn hot to argue. Either way, I must congratulate all in the gentlemanly manner this was discussed to this point. When someone suggests that something you love to do might be ethically or morally wrong, a strong counter attack is usually the natural reaction. I enjoyed reading everyones responses to the original question.

I think we treat our trout with a lot more care and respect than the politicans treat us??

I think that when you look at it fly fishing is life affirming. You value the fish so much that you release it. My daughter caught a fish this year and she watched me clean it and cook it and we ate it. She is only four but she understands that when you keep the fish you kill it.

We treat our fish with respect. We quickly release them and watch them go back into their domain.

Also there has not been a day on the water when I have not at some point thanked God for the wonder that I am standing in.

ryanh wrote:
I think that when you look at it fly fishing is life affirming. You value the fish so much that you release it. My daughter caught a fish this year and she watched me clean it and cook it and we ate it. She is only four but she understands that when you keep the fish you kill it.

We treat our fish with respect. We quickly release them and watch them go back into their domain.

Also there has not been a day on the water when I have not at some point thanked God for the wonder that I am standing in.

Good post Ryan.

Every day on my farm, I thank God and wonder what i am standing in. It's almost the same.

ryanh wrote:

I share this sentiment and yet, unfortunately, there has probably not been a day on the water that I have not mouthed words that might make one think I blame him for my ineptitude. :-(

I think killing and eating stocked fish is fine. They would not even exist if this were not the case.

I have a adpoted a catch & release philosophy on all fish I catch. I would rather catch the fish again next week; plus I think trout is poor table fare. But that's just me.

Now, in the case of wild trout. I think they all sould be released.

There is a little bit for everybody. Even if you call sitting on a 5 gallon bucket totally stationary drinking beer- fishing.

You can certainly tell we our in an age of total political correctness; worring about how a fish feels.

That's like a PETA supporter stepping over the homeless guy lying in his own pee to throw paint on a fur a person is wearing. Do you see the irony there? Doesnt compute for me?

acristickid wrote:

That's like a PETA supporter stepping over the homeless guy lying in his own pee to throw paint on a fur a person is wearing. Do you see the irony there? Doesnt compute for me?

Just to keep this from being a total love-fest, do you really think this happens? Maybe in a rare situation, but I'd be willing to guess that most PETA-types are interested both in the plight of animals and in the plight of their fellow man. It seems unfair to let your disagreement with their animal overprotection stance impugn their degree of concern for their fellow man, no?

I fish because I thoroughly enjoy the sport,
I release fish because it benefits me to do so by helping keep the hobby viable and fun and I really don't like fish anyway.
It would be gross hypocrisy to try to claim anything what-so-ever noble about my actions.
To be human is to be so.

Perhaps my example is a slight hyperbole. I guess my point is that there are greater issues of importance to worry about then how a fish feels. Humans based on their emotions act totally irrational. Is it the argument "Well, the dog can't feed himself or does'nt know any better, instead of helping the homeless guy on the street who chose to be homeless." I just glad no one bite on why release wild fish and not stocked fish!

acristickid wrote:
I just glad no one bite on why release wild fish and not stocked fish!

I had issues with that, but I don't have the will right now to argue with all the rabid wild trout huggers-- they can be as fanatical as the PETA members at times. :cool:

pete41 wrote:
I fish because I thoroughly enjoy the sport,
I release fish because it benefits me to do so by helping keep the hobby viable and fun and I really don't like fish anyway.
It would be gross hypocrisy to try to claim anything what-so-ever noble about my actions.
To be human is to be so.

I tend to be in the minority when I engage in discussion regarding motives for behavior (any behavior). Glad to hear someone who shares my thoughts on this.

JackM wrote:
acristickid wrote:

Just to keep this from being a total love-fest, do you really think this happens? Maybe in a rare situation, but I'd be willing to guess that most PETA-types are interested both in the plight of animals and in the plight of their fellow man. It seems unfair to let your disagreement with their animal overprotection stance impugn their degree of concern for their fellow man, no?

Well, they may care about the homeless, but they don't seem to be too worried about the dignity of women
http://www.circuses.com/cagedemo.asp

Back