Fly Fishing Elitism (from an outsiders perspective)

I echo TM's post #12. Though T/b and I had a "pi--ing match" on here a number of years ago, I find him to be thoughtful and considerate -- a good representative for all fly-fishermen, one we all ought to emulate. If not the most respected member of this fly-fishing site, he is certainly one of the most respected.

(I'm kind of sorry I missed TTCo's deleted post. It must have been pretty incendiary.)

I echo TM's post #12. Though T/b and I had a "pi--ing match" on here a number of years ago, I find him to be thoughtful and considerate -- a good representative for all fly-fishermen, one we all ought to emulate. If not the most respected member of this fly-fishing site, he is certainly one of the most respected.
Couldn't agree more.

I dare say, after reading this bird’s nest of a tangle, those of us who fish for sport are in an elite class, on par with the fortunate few who are paid to play kid’s games like soccer, baseball and football.

We release most of the fish we catch, respectfully eat the few we kill and eagerly help those who seek to join our ranks.

But it makes us sad to see someone literally throw one back only because it’s too small, or throw them out because they’ve been in the freezer for too long.

Just as an elite hitter in the big leagues can succumb to the notion that soccer is for kids who can’t hit the curveball, a dry fly guy can easily be self deluded into believing nymph fishing is a lesser art.

Don’t kid yourselves: we who fish for fun, not for meat and not to impress others, are elite, and we certainly have it in us to be a little boastful about it.

Keep your lines tight, because there are a lot of fish out there we still need to catch!

I dare say, after reading this bird’s nest of a tangle, those of us who fish for sport are in an elite class, on par with the fortunate few who are paid to play kid’s games like soccer, baseball and football.

We release most of the fish we catch, respectfully eat the few we kill and eagerly help those who seek to join our ranks.

But it makes us sad to see someone literally throw one back only because it’s too small, or throw them out because they’ve been in the freezer for too long.

Just as an elite hitter in the big leagues can succumb to the notion that soccer is for kids who can’t hit the curveball, a dry fly guy can easily be self deluded into believing nymph fishing is a lesser art.

Don’t kid yourselves: we who fish for fun, not for meat and not to impress others, are elite, and we certainly have it in us to be a little boastful about it.

Keep your lines tight, because there are a lot of fish out there we still need to catch!
So you're the one! 🤣

I agree with Jif. If you think it’s bad now, wow were a lot of fly fisherman reluctant (trying to be nice here) to help out a new guy back in the day. It would have been real easy to have turned off to fly fishing. Not to say I didn’t run into a couple of gentlemen who gave me a few pointers, and even handed me a fly or two mid-stream, but there where certainly more who couldn’t be bothered to help a kid out. I think the internet (Google, YouTube) and especially forums like this are helping way more than they’re hurting (ONLY talking fly fishing here). If it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t have learned near as much and certainly wouldn’t be tying flies. I think the younger crowd (30s, 40s, 50s) is much less guarded on the water and more eager to talk and share knowledge. I ran into a 42 year old on the West Branch the other day who was having a great time nabbing small rainbows on dries in a tight run. I was nymphing and he invited me to fish back to back to him. I didn’t want to crowd him, since there is plenty of space to fish up there. He was insistent and we struck up a good conversation, so after striking out upstream I took him up on the offer. I wasn’t having any luck, so he suggested I change to smaller nymphs…. First cast and I caught a real nice rainbow that made 5 downstream runs pulling drag. BTW, I’m 56 and still learn something every time I fish.
I agree that elitism seems to actually be decreasing in fly fishing. I remember people years ago giving you grief / looking down on you if you fly fished sub-surface let alone if you used something like spin fishing tackle. These days I rarely encounter anyone, even at the well known fly fishing rivers / streams that comments on how other people are fishing.

Traveling trout, it took me a long time to learn that you can’t please everyone. I understand wanting to put out a product that others will appreciate but you should stay true to yourself. If you have to change the way you are doing things in order to get more likes and views, it’s time to question why you are doing it in the first place.

Since I have stopped caring about what other people think, my life has been much simpler and happier.

Traveling trout, it took me a long time to learn that you can’t please everyone. I understand wanting to put out a product that others will appreciate but you should stay true to yourself. If you have to change the way you are doing things in order to get more likes and views, it’s time to question why you are doing it in the first place.

Since I have stopped caring about what other people think, my life has been much simpler and happier.
Shouldn't you be working right now? Not browsing a fly fishing forum? 🙄

Getting back to the "Flyfishing Elitism" perspective (while ignoring a person's willfully applied misinterpretation of the rules provided by a capable team of moderators), here's my take on flyfishing being "elite" or better than other methods:
- I understand someone wanting to monetize the practice of posting online content to the point where there's an implied need to make it more edgy. I'm not elite if I disagree with the practice.
- A few years ago, I reached the point where I have used a flyrod to catch fish more than I have used other tackle categories. That doesn't mean I never fling bait or multi-hook artificial lures.
- The gear I purchase for flyfishing is in the lower third of the cost range for equipment. I'm okay with someone thinking they need to drop a week's pay on a line holder but having had parents who grew up during a depression and a couple wars, I'm along the lines of thinking that anything that serves the basic purpose at a reasonable cost is good enough. (I also haven't had anyone try to steal my stuff yet.)
- The only thing I can think of which could be used to apply an elite label on me has to do with care of caught and released fish. (From personal experience) Fish swallow bait - a lot - and unless a circle hook is used (with no offset) the fish can get hooked in the throat or deeper. If a spinner or plug has treble hooks, more damage is caused than when a single hook is used, and releasing takes longer - regardless of how careful I am. A single fly hook still makes a hole and draws blood, but I'm typically able to get a fish back in the water and revived in less than half the time as when I use bait or trebles. My thinking that "All-Tackle Catch and Release" is an oxymoron has nothing to do with my thinking I'm better than anyone.
Regards.

On topic: I would never be mistaken for an "elite." I wear old green work shirts, a crappy old dull-colored hat, and wear an old, stained vest. My wife tells me I look disgraceful. So, even if I thought I was elite, my appearance would pretty much disqualify me, I guess.

All,

yeesh, this is draining. You all need to either go fishing, get la!d or probably both. Lots of vitriol on the board of late.

Signed,

Front plate, elitist, Jersey intruder

I honestly don't have the time or interest to read the many, many responses to the OP's diatribe. There may be some forms of elitism in fly fishing but if it's there I think from the old books where English lords & landed gentry (and early 20th century writers) waxed poetically about the esoteric nuances of fishing with the fly.

You will find similar egos with diehard center pinners who must have the smoothest longest spinning reel with zero startup enerthia and the latest model boron rod. The bamboo group will probably scorn older Orvis impregnated rods and look sideways at guys using rods from lesser known builders.

Then of course there are the Euro nymphers with their tungsten carbide slotted beadheads who swear their techniques are absolutely the best way to fish nymphs.

I find though that all these groups are still a friendly bunch and willing to share their special techniques with anyone willing to ask.

Elitist ,hmm, I've been called worse.
Same. If you judge me based on the rod I have in my hand....I don't care what you think anyway. Get to know me first, then pass judgment (probably elitist, though).

Hah. Sounds like a bot post to divide the populace. I think of elite being wealthy and post their private waters on great waters and many times in the best stretches. Using thousands of dollars equipment being guided and finishing off the day with a scotch or a wine.

While it’s important to recognize people’s excitement and interest in the sport- I enjoy this. At the same time don’t get too high on your success and prepare to be humbled.

Same. If you judge me based on the rod I have in my hand....I don't care what you think anyway. Get to know me first, then pass judgment (probably elitist, though).
Me too, elitist that is. What's that cliche? Dry or everything else.

I disagree with some of that.

To me, back in the day when it comes to this site is 20+ years ago. I've visited this site off and on since the late 90s.

Some of us didn't believe in spoon feeding (and I still don't), but most of us were more than willing to help a guy out ... in between political arguments.😏

I don't participate as much as I used to because I haven't been able to fish much because of my wife's health issues. Any advice I might offer is old.
Hi, Farmer.

I meant back in the day out on the stream, in fly shops, etc. I’m sure the gang on this forum were way more eager to share info and help out the newer guys. I don’t think most of us would be on forums if we weren’t the helpful, sharing type by nature. Most people who join a forum just to cherry pick information don’t seem to last real long.

As a non-fly-fisher and someone who has been around fly-anglers since the 1970’s, I’ll offer my “unbiased” opinion on the degree of “elitism” that currently exists. I’ve been a member of the Blair County Chapter of TU (now called John Kennedy TU) since 1979. I don’t consider myself to be “active” in the chapter, but over the years I’ve gotten to know some of the guys. In 1979 (and earlier) there were a lot of guys that I would have thought of as “Fly-Fishing Snobs” To support this claim, my dad told me a comment made many years ago by an officer of the chapter. This fly-angler related a story about how several fly-anglers were trying to catch a specific large brown trout. They couldn’t catch it and then a guy caught it, he said, with a “darn” spinner, with particular emphasis on the word “darn.”

Today I don’t know even one F-FS in the chapter, and some of the guys there were also there in the 1970’s. I’ve done my spinner-fishing seminar for them and other places across the state quite a few times and the best gauge of fly-fishermen attitudes toward spinner fishing comes during the Q&A period at the end of my program. I don’t get as many snobbish questions now as I used to get.

I think I’m much more accepted on this site now than I was years ago. I would consider the anglers on here to be a little more enlightened, though, compared to elsewhere since shared, educated opinions over the years tend to mellow bad attitudes. As an outsider, I’d like to think that maybe I had a little positive input in mellowing those bad attitudes, but many would probably disagree.

I don’t think the clothes a fly-angler wears have much, if anything, to do with whether they are a F-FS.

With this said, I do believe there is still at least some “elitism” among fly-anglers on here, but there is a lot of peer pressure to not express it. If there was a way to get people to express themselves honestly, I think a good way to measure the current degree of “elitism” on here would be by starting a thread entitled, “Should the PFBC Consider Doing Away with FFO Regs on Public Land?”

To show that “elitism” still exists, I thought some of you would get a chuckle out of some the comments that were made on my last four photo essays that I did for the Facebook group “PA Native Brookie Chasers.” Full disclosure: These comments came from just five fly-anglers, and most of them came from just one fly-angler.

F-FS1: “I would love to see some pictures of their mouths after you rip those barbed treble hooks out of them”

F-FS1: “Honestly any kid with a Barbie pole could catch brookies on a spinner.”

F-FS1: “I've actually talked to people that have met you in person and they all agree that you are an XXX.”

F-FS2: “Seriously, Treble hooks on those beautiful brookies ?”

F-FS3: “Someday you should throw away the hardware and try fly fishing …”

F-FS1: “No way on a 4 inch fish.”

F-FS1: “not only do you ruin their jaws with your treble hooks, you take the time measure everyone and document them...lol!!! You're a bigger XXXXXX than I thought”

F-FS1: “I'd really be curious to see to go slumming down here in Washington county amd see how many you can snag with your barbed treble hooks.”

F-FS4: “For someone with as much experience as you have I’d think it wouldn’t be too hard to land trout with pinched barbs, and much better for the fish.”

F-FS1: “You're a snagger, it's ok, we all know. Keep ripping their faces off.”

F-FS1: “you fish the hottest months of the year in low water conditions when the fish are all stacked up and snag 2 out of every 3 fish.”

F-FS1: “Go sharpen your barbed treble hooks to make sure they don't get away and you can rip their faces off.”

F-FS1: “Just show me exactly how you remove a barbed treble hook from a native brook trouts eye.”

F-FS1: “when you rip their eye out, do you leave it on the hook or discard it?”

F-FS2l: “You really should consider using barbless single hooks”

F-FS5: “he could become more skilled and use a fly rod but he needs the attention on here boasting about his #'s so he won't do that either...”

F-FS3: “he really ought to learn to fly fish. Pitch the hardware.”

F-FS3: “Someday you should try fly fishing.”

F-FS3: “if I set out to kill brookies I’d be sure to sling hardware at them..”

F-FS1: “I cam honestly say that my barbless hooks on my flies have never caused any damage or have been deep in their mouth, and never once in their gills.”

Regular Joe: “How long till the fly fishing snobs start bashing you?”

Here is the skinny on it (at least in my eyes):

Fishing with a spinning rod for trout is a very effective strategy. There are times when it will be a far more effective strategy than fly fishing. Fishing with a spinner specifically is a rather simple and straightforward method of fishing, and it is also extremely effective. When it comes to artificial lures, the spinner is a very closely linked lure with trout for good reason.

Fly fishing brings a depth of knowledge into the pursuit of trout that spin fishing cannot. There are times when fly fishing will far out fish spinners, specifically when fish are keyed in on bugs and hatches. There are also water conditions where flies can be presented so delicately that a spinning rod cannot match. In those conditions, an angler with a fly rod has the upper hand.

Trout and flyfishing are linked so closely together because of the abilities to present insect imitations to the fish.

There are definitely anglers that present elitism in the fly fishing world. Sometimes, the trout fishing world is so heavily dominated by fly fishing gear, pictures, etc because of how closely linked the two are together. I don't think elitism is specific to fly fishing and trout, however. The same thing exists within bass angling circles, people with certain types of boats, etc.

I think most people really don't care how people fish. I, however, find decoding rising fish eating god knows what to be infinitely more satisfying than chucking lures on a spinning rod, but that doesn't mean I am knocking spinners or spin fishing.

Back