Catskills JAM: Need some info / help from attendees

jayL wrote:

As it stands, here's how floating has worked for me:

Get in and try to nymph. Crap, I'm spinning in circles. Put rod down and try to right the ship. Damn, rod almost fell into the water. That was a close one. Oh crap! I'm gonna hit that rock. Ok, we're stable again. Time for another cast. Snagged instantly, and now I'm dragging bottom. Get out and drag the boat until it gets deep enough.

That was me precisely - with the addition of "wow - that looks like nice water ...let me get a drift in th..... oh crap....fly caught on the pontoon, on my other rod, on the rope, etc etc"

I was certainly a comedy of errors...and then - if i had to retie a leader or something...i had to pull off somewhere as I didn't want to drift into another fisherman while i was trying to tie a knot. So i'm sure that put me even farther behind.

My rod fell in 3 times on Saturday. From the boat, it isn't pretty but it's effective. You spin, almost drop the rod, get snagged on the oar, etc. Less casting = less tangles = less effort & 50 yd drifts. Can't do that on foot. I'll do either but think it's easier / more fun / more productive from the boat.

I rowed through the long flat below the campground. I floated through the pool in front of the DRC with the ladies on the tubes. Traded a smoke for a ice cold beer and got to see some skin!! I rowed for 50 yds in the flat below Methodist Camp and for 100 yds above Shehawken. Pretty much floated everything else until Lake Lenoir. Rowed to the tail of that pool while there was still some good light to scout for fish.

That's why you fish it when the water is ripping at 2K and pack away the small sticks! Problem is, when a rod goes in the water you aren't getting it back... take it from experience.

LOL…you can’t go up there with the attitude you’re gunna Demolish ‘em on Dries……or Slay ‘em with Streamers…. or Rule the Riffs…..or Nock ‘em dead with Nymphs…. ….or Pummel the Pools.

The fish rule the River fellas….and they make and break all their own rules. You’re just a guest in their kingdom but every so often they come out and play if have patience, try different stuff, have some skill and a little of luck.

Good luck to all.

bam,

Snagged a rock in Stockport section at 2k and rod went bye bye. I was able to get the line wrapped around the oar and overhanded the line & backing until I could reach the tip. First time out w/ the rod after getting it back from Sage repair shop. Yow.

I actually lost mine on the J this spring when the water was up around 1,000cfs. I was fishing with one rod and an overhanging branch ripped my other rod right out of the holder. Nothing I could do about it with the water at that level. Amazingly, the rod was found a week later by another board member and returned! The rod was in good shape, but the reel was beat up. Orvis lost it in the mail after I took it back to be repaired and ended up getting a new one. The rod broke a few weeks ago on the Delaware mid cast and it's currently in to be fixed.

Sounds like that rod is cursed. Sell it when it comes back!!

sight,

Do you have an october caddis recipe you like?

here's a larva pattern from Catskill Flies

For the adult.... 2x-3x dark tan to reddish brown caddis (you pick the style)

Attachments

• october caddis larva, catskill flies.jpg
    october caddis larva, catskill flies.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 6
Ohhhh, so it's a wet pattern?

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
here's a larva pattern from Catskill Flies

For the adult.... 2x-3x dark tan to reddish brown caddis (you pick the style)

What hook size(s) do you suggest? What about wing color?

According to innerwebz people are often using foam.

http://www.riverbum.com/October-Caddis-Foam/

Orange stimulator would work well.

And as always troutnut.com has info on October Caddis.

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/189

It is a GIANT caddis. #8 - #10

Here's a pic of one.

Attachments

• October caddis 1.JPG
    October caddis 1.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 6
jdaddy & sight,

Thanks for the info. It seems like an opportunity for a "hopper & dropper" situation using a big, boyant tie for the adult and something that imitates the pupal stage on the dropper. Maybe the dropper could be a soft hackle (drowned) adult or an Iso nymph instead.

Here is a good close up of the natural.

Attachments

• octcad.jpg
    octcad.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 7
Most of the ones that I have seen have had green pins though!

Can I just tie a monster, like size 8-10, Elk Hair Caddis and be fine?

Yeah those will work fine. Just dont forget the pin.....jk!

I'd suggest the pattern known as "Mothra".

It'll be like throwing a freakin popper for bass! LOL.

You probably won't see any unless you stick around at dusk and the hour or two that follow.

The larva pattern could be fished during the day though.

Back