Catskills JAM: Need some info / help from attendees

Not only are you an OLD MAN, you're a lazy old man. Those are the worst kind! I can't be seen with you if you bust that thing out. LMAO. Did you remove the oar locks and fill the holes with pinwheels? If it's windy, I'll wish I had a motor.

Also, everytime I get near you, I'm trying to pull the wire off of the battery post. :) Seriously though, bring an extra prop and wrench. You could smack it up on a boulder if you doze off at the wheel.

afishinado wrote:
jayL wrote:
I guess I just don't understand the dry fly appeal. It's boring to me, when compared to streamering. The fact that the fish are consistently way bigger is just a bonus.

LOL...of all the FFing methods - dry, nymph, wet, and streamer, streamer fishing is my least favorite. I'll do it when I have to or maybe just to try something different to break up the day.

Nothing is more exiting to me than see rising fish on a hatch and the chess match the ensues trying to match the insect, get into a good position without spooking the fish, and trying to make a perfect drag-free cast 2' above the fish...and it's floating...floating...floating...KAZANG!!........FISH ON!! (It usually only turns out this way in day dreams but sometimes...)

Cast and strip...Cast and strip...Casting and stripping does nothing for me except has me reaching for the Bengay at the end of the day.

Each to his own...

Afish

That about says it all for me as well, Love dryfly fishin! I did start fishing streamers a few yers ago, and have been getting better at it, but nothing like dryfly fishing.

Everyone fish the method they like and have fun!

PaulG

Sight, old and bad rotator cuff. Us old guys should stick together though.

Hey I like to fish dries, nymphs, wets, and streamers. I like fishing dries the best, but I usually let the fish decide. With the exception of small streams / low water, I'm not one to fish dries without seeing rises. I'll usually nymph first when no fish are rising. With high stained water, I'll usually streamer fish first. I will try all methods until I find one that works or I run out of daylight.

I was the guy that would sit for hours just waiting for the hatch to start. Over the past year or two, I started nymphing more. There are still times when I'll fling a nymph rig for 5 minutes and then I'm done. I will admit to taking some nice fish nymphing during the non-hatch / dead time on the water. As for the streamer thing, I really only pitch those at first light or at dusk. Not my cup of tea.

You know I sent that TCX back. I called the rod builder to make sure he'd gotten it and we had a little talk. He said it's a nice rod to impress your buddies with prior to hitting the river but it's not much of a rod for fishing applications. It doesn't seem to be a practical rod for fishing around here.

I was the guy that would sit for hours just waiting for the hatch to start. Over the past year or two, I started nymphing more. There are still times when I'll fling a nymph rig for 5 minutes and then I'm done. I will admit to taking some nice fish nymphing during the non-hatch / dead time on the water. As for the streamer thing, I really only pitch those at first light or at dusk. Not my cup of tea.

You know I sent that TCX back. I called the rod builder to make sure he'd gotten it and we had a little talk. He said it's a nice rod to impress your buddies with prior to hitting the river but it's not much of a rod for fishing applications. It doesn't seem to be a practical rod for fishing around here.

I'm thinkin about getting one of those TCX's in 6wt to toss meat with!

Fish it wearing a hockey helmet w/ full cage! That will keep your tandem double bunny rig from injuring you.

I have a dan craft FT coming for streamer duty.

I've never met Dan. Looking forward to it. He can nymph too if he'd like.

jayL wrote:
Playing upon the predatory instincts of fish, and convincing them to pursue and eat a chunk of rabbit fur or whatever you may have used is tops for me.

Systematically pounding the water to find one that wants to play is rewarding. I came to fish, not look at the water.

Here's the only trouble I have with this hole streamer thing. Why not just grab the spin rod and the jerk baits ? Easier and more effective if all you care about is catching the preds!

Here's the only trouble I have with this hole streamer thing. Why not just grab the spin rod and the jerk baits ? Easier and more effective if all you care about is catching the preds!

I think that is the reason he is throwing rabbit fur on a hook with a fly rod....more fun than a spin rod and more challenging...NO???

I guess......the only part that I find really challening and maybe I'm just a lazy dry fly fisherman is casting them big nastys all day. The fish will eat a rabbit strip just the same as the would a rapala just the rapala is alot easier to cast!

Alpabuck wrote:
jayL wrote:
Playing upon the predatory instincts of fish, and convincing them to pursue and eat a chunk of rabbit fur or whatever you may have used is tops for me.

Systematically pounding the water to find one that wants to play is rewarding. I came to fish, not look at the water.

For trout fishing, I disagree that it's more effective.

You cover more water and get more casts with the fly rod. Besides, I just like to fly fish for trout.

streamers can definately be more effective... especially when searching for reaction strikes. I can smack a streamer on the water five times in the time it takes to make one cast with a rapala. When covering water from a boat, there's no better way to fish..

Alphabuck-

That's a rainbow on your avatar. Not judging you. Just bringing it to your attention.

JG

I'm definitely in, possibly with one other as well. My friend and I are both Del. newbs. I have Weamers book as well, just picked it up from TCO a couple of days ago.

If my friend doesn't go I'd be interested in splitting a room or a campsite.

I got Weamer's book a couple days ago - been reading up...and getting more and more intimidated lol.

I'm a Delaware newb as well - big water newb in general, mostly fish small streams, spring creeks, etc.

This will be an adventure - really looking forward to it!

I'm a little intimidated but I've fished Salmon River with similar flows and haven't felt that intimidated, so I feel a little bit better about the flow issue, now I'm just worrying about catching fish!

trowpa, will you be wading or floating?

WSender - don't know I don't own a boat, but have offered myself up to join any group (wading or floating - if there is an extra toon or room in a boat).

Hoping to get with someone that knows the river so i can learn a thing or three.

Back