Catskills JAM: Need some info / help from attendees

Don't be intimidated about the WB. It's wide, gentle, braided and flat for the most part. Last time I was up there a group of 8-14 year olds were floating behind us. They had an air mattress and tubes and aside from sticks were at the mercey of the current.

bam wrote:
Don't be intimidated about the WB. It's wide, gentle, braided and flat for the most part. Last time I was up there a group of 8-14 year olds were floating behind us. They had an air mattress and tubes and aside from sticks were at the mercey of the current.

its not the current i'm intimidated by - its the fishing!

:)

"Wide, gentle, braided and flat" - those terms intimidate someone who likes to nymph riffles.

There are epic riffles. They're just tame by floating standards.

Relax trowpa. It's tough but not THAT tough. Getting the right read on what they're eating seems to be the hardest part. You will asked to make some long casts. Can't reach the fish? Move on to the next one... there's plenty in there. It's like the LL but 100 yds wide. You'll be fine and probably catch the most fish on Saturday. First timers I've taken have cleaned up or been all but shut out. I'll vote for the first since you are handy at nymphing.

Just read that Weamer book like the Bible. I would LOVE to spend a weekend on the water with Weamer. Really looking forward to this Jam.

Look at the Jewish guy telling you to read the bible. LMAO

sight,

How can I help? I'm a Del. newb. but is there anything I can do?

Just show up. We've got a pretty large group showing up between Wed and Sun. If you want to make a donation to the raffle, you're welcome to do so.

Fishing is fishing. If you are used to looking at a 25' wide riff, it's a difference in the sense that you may be looking at a 300' wide riff.

sight,

Do you think you can write a quick, slightly more detailed than your first post, things beginners should bring post? Maybe something like '10 flies to NOT leave at home' in appropriate sizes.

Also, is there a rally point of sorts where everyone is meeting? I've never been to one of these jams before so I'm not sure how they work.

Don't get caught up on patterns.

Just bring caddis larva, your favorite iso patterns, your favorite BWO and caddis patterns, and some streamers (preferably in white). All of that will work.

jay,

would sizes 16 and smaller be good, sans the streamers?

Yep, I'd say 16-20 or 22, but I'll cross check that against weamer's book. If you're planning on making the trip, justify the gas and lodging expenses by dropping 20 some beans on it.

The comparadun was developed on that river, so if you're not sure what kind of dry patterns to tie, that's a good place to start.

The isos are between 10 and 14.

Caddis larva (beadhead or not) in an olive and / or green #14-18

Caddis dry (x-caddis, cdc or elk hair) black, brown, tan, green #14-20

If you have a good October Caddis pattern you like, bring it #10-12

ISO's nymphs, duns, emergers or whatever #12-14

Zonkers in white or black from #1/0 - #4 should cover you for streamer

Nymphs, PT or beadhead PT #14-20, #16-20 olive and sulphur nymphs

Peach/sulphur dries #14-16

Olive dries #18-22

That covers the whole spectrum. If you have some of what's listed above, you should be fine.

would parachute style dries be ok?

Yep. I'd say they are preferable to catskill style, as the D has lots of frog water.

If we have low clear water conditions, the less hackle, the better. If we get some rain and the water's up, anything will work. Thorax, Catskill ties (sparse), comparaduns and cdc's work well up there in low water conditions.

I may be able to make this jam...I will let you know as soon as I do.

Great. I'm afraid that we may have filled the Capra Motel so lodging may have to be down the road at the next place.

Green Acres is the place to be!

Not for me. Set the 'way back' machine to 1968!!

Back