Catskills - float em if you got em JAM 9/19/15

Not going to make it up, my new business venture has me booked solid for the next 2 months. Hope you get some rain soon to make it a good trip.

I would love to join in on this trip if there is an open seat on one of the days. Congrats on the job SBecker!

Looking ahead, the weather appears to be pretty decent for the trip. I'd like to see more rain in the next 7-10 days but we'll deal with whatever conditions we find. Morning lows of 42-47 degrees will call for knit cap and a jacket. After this heat wave, that will feel great but mighty cool.

ALSO........

FUDR reports the Sands Creek Restoration Project is Completed.

We’re pleased to report that the finishing touches on the first phase of our Sands Creek Restoration Project were completed this week. A variety of strategically placed habitat structures and floodplain reconnection work along a mile of stream will help stabilize shoreline, enhance habitat conditions, and improve water quality on one of the most important trout spawning tributaries in the entire Upper Delaware River watershed.

This was a huge team effort and many thanks go out to our project partners, Trout Unlimited, for their financial and technical support. We are particularly thankful for the insights and strategic guidance offered by TU’s Northeast Restoration Coordinator – Tracy Brown. Thanks Tracy!

We’d also like to express our gratitude to Mary Ann Nichol who placed her trust in us and gave us full access to this beautiful stream that runs through her property.

Under the skillful supervision of George Fowler of Woidt Engineering, our local contractors Steve Deinhard (Wheeler Excavating) and Josh Rice (Rice Logging) both did a fantastic job on the construction work that often required an element of artistry to get it just right. Great job guys!

Completion of the Sands Creek project would not have been possible without a generous grant from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation-Delaware River Restoration Fund 2015. Everybody who lives in or visits the Upper Delaware River should be deeply grateful to NFWF for their vision and financial assistance in enabling this project to move forward.

Thanks to our other project funders including The International Federation of Flyfishers-Eastern Waters Council, The Orvis Company, Theodore Gordon Flyfishers, Patagonia, and the Campbell Foundation. A big thanks also goes out to the Delaware County Department of Public Works for loaning us a bridge to safely cross the stream.

If you would like a tour of the project site, please contact us and we will be happy to schedule your visit.

Attachments

• forecast.png
    forecast.png
    143 KB · Views: 3
You guys may only be floating the mainstem now...

Yep, rain pounded some areas near by but seemed to skirt the Catskills....once again. I'd say you are right but only if you could tell me release amounts for the next 14 days. It is what it is.

WB is marginally floatable as is the main. The EB is toast for floating and unless the temps keep dropping, With forecasted lows, it should be back online in the next couple of days. Saturday just might end up with some decent rains for them. Cross your fingers.

I've seen an increase in iso at my house in last 3-4 days so they should be picking up North of here. Rain chances quite often over next 10 days too. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Well, the big rain event had little impact on the flows. The East (upper and lower) are too low to float but are fine for wading. The upper section has good temps and the lower should be ok if evening lows match the forecast.

ThThe west and main are good to wade and marginal for floating. Temps look good down past Lordville.

Weather predictions are decent with some sun, a few overcast days and almost 25% chance of showers but nothing that will amount to much.

The gage in Jersey is 2700 cfs and looks to have topped lt so it should be on the fall pretty quickly. Once it gets below 1750, that triggers water releases from upstream. According to Wallenpaupack site, they are below regular lake levels so I doubt they'll release prior to WW release scheduled for 9-26-15. Maybe we'll end up getting some additional water from Cannonsville by next weekend....maybe.

To sum it up, looks good for fishing on foot and marginal for floating.

If the conditions are poor, I'll have suggestions for possible day trips to several other locations.

Possible hike into Neversink gorge is an option. The hike in...not so bad. The wading and hike out....gruelling. This is not for the faint of heart so only consider this option if you are in average/above average in your fitness. Backpack in with gear (45-90 minute hike), fish and leave extra time for hike out as grade is significant. No houses and no cell signal. If injured, it will take an evacuation effort and hours. Bring plenty of water. The only thing you should see beside the guys you hiked in with...... bears, rattlers and wild browns. Rugged stream bottom and miles of nymphing for those that feel they are up to the physical challenge.

Lackawanna day trip or Pocono day trip is also possible.

Tons of tiny brookie streams if you want to hunt 4" gemmies.

Lehigh river day trip.

Esopus river day trip....complete with 100 rainbows (averaging 9") and naked guitar guy on bluff watching you fish. LOL

These are only options if the Delaware system gets blown or is fishing poorly due to low flows

I hope to be in Hancock by early mid- day Saturday.
Should be ready for an afternoon float. I'm packing the community grill, so in addition to Krays' many options, there's always tailgating at the Capra.

Can I get a roll call with your ETA. This way I'll know if I leave Saturday morning at 3am or 9am.

100% sure there will be tailgating at Capra post fishing. Thanks for bringing the grill.

Kray...I'm in for Saturday afternoon, Sunday and maybe Monday morning. I plan to leave early Saturday morning to max out Saturday as much as possible.

Andy,
When are you staying until? I cant get up there until thursday. Ill be there thurs-sun as its the last hoorah for me to get up there. Fishing should be fine. Ill wade just about anywhere. Plus the bkill and lower east should be fishable then too.

I will be getting to the Capra around noon on Saturday. And staying through Wensday. Count me in for a wading trip on the Neversink. Looking forward to the trip and meeting some new fishing addicts!

Kev,
I'm fishing through Thursday evening.....may be in Catskills but may be elsewhere. Hopefully it's decent fishing and it looks like it will be. Actually floating might be a different story. Montague gauge is calling for water if Wallenpaupack doesn't screw us with a release. I'm guessing the Cannonsville water has got to be getting pretty milky / cloudy by now. We'll see wha happens.

Mkerr,
We'll look for you Saturday. Might get there a little early and pull a short test run before the yinzer crowds rolls in.

Andy, unfortunately this portion of the Yinzer crew won't make it. Hope you and Tony keep the boats in one piece.

PS Don't forget to double check the depth before disembarking the #LoveBoat stay dry my friend stay dry

Norm,
Sorry to hear you can't make it. Hopefully next yea you cm make it and get that 'canoe' to use. I've prepared Tony and got him pretty fired up......all I need is nature to cooperate.

Based on past trips, it's usually a dud for first timers and never lives up to stories. If they make it back another time or two, they are rewarded. Fickle fishery that requires some time to catch a good day.

Alright so maybe well fish thursday evening andy? Ill be there sometime by 5, just in time for evening feeding time. Had a buddy fish yesterday on the west branch. Lots of algae floating and water was dirty, probably from the change in flows. He caught fush on cdc psuedos. Bring the small stuff for this trip. Thats what theyre gonna be eating. Maybe small sulphurs still but that should be waning. Isos and cahills are still around also.

Kev,
I'll PM my cell number to you. If you are coming at 5pm, I can pull over and you hop in the boat.....run to tail of Stockport and jump in. LOL. If they are eating pseudos, they will get a 10, 2xl iso served up. Force feed them something I can see. Caddis hatches are picking up, hebes started, leftover smaller steno and peach fly also up and running. DRC said most algae is settled out since the big flush with the 1000 release. Water is slightly off from silt in lake but settles out b the dream catcher.

Committed attendees:
Krayfish2 and Fishwagon getting there around 9am Saturday

DaveS and Mkerr arriving Saturday around 12:30

Surprise special guest PhilC rolling in Saturday at ??

Fade / Prof and the fancy lodging group (lmao) getting there ???

Timmyt, you still onboard? I've got you and your pop with me for your first float

BigBass lives close and probably will be struck down with 24 virus and miss some work.

Possibly see a oword? y 'fly by' from NickR if the planets line up correctly.

Mellowluke, any word? Maybe swing up mid week?

Stimey texted that he's out. I will now attempt vulcan mind meld and shaming him into making it.

Anyone I'm missing?

Anymore staying as a single want to pair up with Phil on Saturday and Sunday nights? He needs a room. And.......he WILL outfish you so don't feel bad. LOL

Stimey is a scratch....back problems

Der she blows!!!.........batten down the hatches........the floating lamp is lit..........float 'em if you gottem...S-ville

Pretty fitting....nothing but shiit luck for me up there this year. I'm sure it's pulling so much sediment off the lake bed that it's dirty to Port Jervis. You know damn well what's happening next....they shut it down to 125 cfs just after we launch the boats. Apologies to anyone that got tangled up with me doing this trip. Geeez. Just called the dam and the flow is ramping up to 1071cfs . Could last 8 hours or 8 days. This should be interesting and probably difficult conditions.

At this point, I'm not sure how I'm getting there. I had a ball joint replaced and the garage suggested putting in new cc shaft. That was 3 weeks ago and it's going in today for an OEM shaft (if we can find one). Aftermarket part is 1/2" longer and makes the wheel wobble so bad, it's tough to drive. The garage apologized profusely for having in 3 times in 14 days. They claim that if they can't find the part, they'll rent a new Colorado for the week so I can go. Good luck finding rental pickup with hitch. 2015 has sucked for everything but smallmouth fishing

Back