Carp Swap 2015

Finished up the backstabbers last evening.

Attachments

• Backstabbers.jpg
    Backstabbers.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3
Well it took me a few days to remember how I tied this pattern, but I finally figured it out and was able to knock these bristle leeches out after dinner tonight. They will go in the mail early next week.
I had enough trouble remembering the tricky nits like tying in the bristles, that I decided to write up a step-by-step that I'll post in another thread for anyone interested in how they are tied.

LaFontaine Bristle Leech
Hook: Daiichi 1730 #8
Thread: Brown 3/0
Weight: ~1 inch of 0.02 lead wire doubled over and tied on top of hook
Bristles: Maxima Chameleon monofilament (20 lb, 0.017 inch dia.)
Tail: Grizzly natural rabbit fur
Body: Grizzly natural crosscut rabbit strip wound around hook shaft
Throat: Tan marabou
BristleLeeches2015.JPG

My flies are done, need an address to send them.

pro4mance wrote:
My flies are done, need an address to send them.

My previous messages weren't working but I just re-sent. Please confirm, otherwise I have been receiving messages so you can send an email address or some other way to reach you.

Anyone else needing an address, please let me know! One last friendly reminder now that flies are being sent. Please send them in a "return-able" container with return postage.

Looking forward to seeing all of these.

Finally got mine in the mail this morning.
Mike.

Mike, those leeches are nothing but awesome.

GenCon

I decided to go with the mellow yellow. Just wanted to get your guys opinions on a few things. The top fly is tied on a size 6 hook with speckled gray india hen back. The bottom fly is tied on a size 4 hook with a speckled brown india hen back. Was curious if you guys wanted the size 4 or 6 and the speckled gray or speckled brown. Let me know what you guys think so I can get these tied up and sent out before the end of next week.

Attachments

• Mellow Yellow.jpg
    Mellow Yellow.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1
drumat26,

That's a nice looking carp fly. My personal preference is usually a size 6 hook over a size 4 for carp flies. As far as the hen neck collars - no particular preference from my end. I think they both look great. Nice job!

Drumat, those are sweet! I'd lean towards the smaller size as well. I kinda like the speckles going on on the top fly, but that's only bc I (personally) think it looks cooler. I'm ok with either.

The backstabbers went in the mail this afternoon.

Attachments

• Backstabbers 1.jpg
    Backstabbers 1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
Mine will go out tomorrow, threw in an extra. jay348 talked about getting creative, so I did for an extra. Tied the "Yinzer Carpinator" I'll post the recipes for both flies after they ship tomorrow. Looking forward to the flies coming and going.

Can someone please PM me the address that my flies should go to? Thanks!

Nick,

I think jay348 has been unable to send out PMs but I think he is able to receive them. If you PM him an email address I'm sure he will get his address back to you via email.

pro4mance wrote:
Mine will go out tomorrow, threw in an extra. jay348 talked about getting creative, so I did for an extra. Tied the "Yinzer Carpinator" I'll post the recipes for both flies after they ship tomorrow. Looking forward to the flies coming and going.

Looking forward to this one!

FT, your flies are in and they look even better in person!

I'm hoping to get my flies in the mail by tomorrow. The "crazy carper" fly is a really simple fly - after seeing some of the flies in this swap I kind of feel like I should have attemped a pattern with a little more to it. Definitely works though, based on my only experience carp fishing! The eyes are size medium brass dumbells - the first couple times I tied this fly I used eyes that were much too heavy, and ended up spooking fish and losing flies, so these should be just right for relatively shallow water.

SAM_0085.JPG

dc410 wrote:
The backstabbers went in the mail this afternoon.

And they arrived last night...lookin good!

Carp Stew flies are done. I'll get these out by Mon. This swap was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the challenge of tying flies for a fish I never fished for. Here's my recipe...

Hook- sz 6 mustad
Thread- 6/0 uni, in dark brown
Med bead chain eyes
Tail- barred sili legs
Rust SLF dubbin for collar
Body dubbing mix for body
Throat- mink fur

This pattern can almost all be tied without inverting the hook.

CAM00688_zps2aece08d.jpg

1. Start thread bout 3 eyes back from eye, and lash down eyes. Move to back of hook.

2. Tie in rubber legs (4 of em). Try to get them splayed out the best you can. DO NOT cut off butts. Keep them on there cause they get pulled over to form the belly of the fly.

3. Now you dub. I used split thread and a dubbin loop, and preferred the dubbin loop. The recipe calls for Rub-a-Dub dubbing but I thought I could make my own. I used 1 part HE, 1 part squirrel, and the barbs cut off stem from a couple hen feathers. Added dubbing to loop, about 4 in long, and twist it up good. Run fingers up and down loop to remove excess dubbin. Dub up to eyes.

4. I added a rust colored collar for spits and giggles but probably not necessary. Now pull your sili leg butts over and lash down right forward of eyes. Make sure you try to get all 4 sili legs laying flat on body of fly. Move thread back to front of eyes, and invert hook.

5. I added a mink throat because I thought it finished the fly well. Probably optional and I don't think the original had one, but I thought it looked good. Whip finish and done.

PS- I didn't add any glue or cement. I was talking with a carp guy and he mentioned to never glue carp flies. Feel free to glue up heads....

Youtube tutorial

pro4mance wrote:

Got em! Some awesome bugs, for sure.

Now that flies are showing up (nothing but goodness, I assure you all), I'll get an updated list up as soon as possible. Swap is looking pretty good.

Carpsicle Diem!!! (Finally)

I feel like I just couldn't find enough time to get these done, but here they are! In the mail Monday!

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S Size 4
Tail: Black Marabou Blood Quill
Ribbing: Medium red wire
Body and head: Orange Ice dub
Bead: Anodized Red 5/324 Tungsten Bead
Eyes: 4 mm red Real Eyes
Collar: Black neck hackle

I really enjoyed tying this and ope you enjoy fishing it!

Attachments

• IMG_7640.JPG
    IMG_7640.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7641.JPG
    IMG_7641.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 2
Back