Carp Swap 2015

Nice! I've been finding that carp are more difficult to locate in Mifflin County than they were back in the Lancaster/Lebanon area... I will occasionally see them on the Juniata river, but they're so hard to approach in such a big river! I feel like if I were still living near the Tulpehocken I would have caught a carp or two this season. So far no luck, though.

Nice pics Rob

Jeremy, bowfishing is popular in the area.

Ah. Maybe that's why they're so spooky on the river. I usually never even see them actually unless it's during the spawn. I assume they spook well before I get close enough to spot them.

Jeremy,

I'm not exactly sure what streams to direct you to but in general you may want to find some smaller Warmwater tributaries to the Juniata where there is decent access. There have got to be plenty with carp in them. Maybe focus on some streams where you can fish for them without getting into the water. Good luck. Hope you can stick a few.

Yea I was hoping to be able to find some small warm water tribs, but pretty much every local stream here is really cold! They all hold trout which is great, except when I'm looking for carp. I've definitely seen an occasional carp in the trout streams, but nothing like the streams that flow through all the farmland back east. I am aware of one warm water stream that's a 30-40 minute drive from here. Planning to try that at some point. The only thing is that the trout fishing and bass fishing is so great within 10 minutes of me that it's hard to justify driving 30-40! Lol. I'll have to do a little more looking and see if there isn't a small warmer stream that's a bit closer.

jeremymcon wrote:
The only thing is that the trout fishing and bass fishing is so great within 10 minutes of me that it's hard to justify driving 30-40!

That's my issue too. I've got one carp to hand this year. I need to concentrate on locating more spots to target them.

jeremymcon wrote:
Yea I was hoping to be able to find some small warm water tribs, but pretty much every local stream here is really cold! They all hold trout which is great, except when I'm looking for carp. I've definitely seen an occasional carp in the trout streams, but nothing like the streams that flow through all the farmland back east. I am aware of one warm water stream that's a 30-40 minute drive from here. Planning to try that at some point. The only thing is that the trout fishing and bass fishing is so great within 10 minutes of me that it's hard to justify driving 30-40! Lol. I'll have to do a little more looking and see if there isn't a small warmer stream that's a bit closer.

Our hearts bleed for you... :roll:

afishinado wrote:
jeremymcon wrote:

Our hearts bleed for you... :roll:

Yea... It's definitely not the *worst* problem a fly fisherman could have...

About a month ago I hung Cody's Black Ops fly in a tree on my first shot at a carp with it. It really pissed me off because it looked like a great pattern. Well, just recently I went up after it and got the fly back. I hit one of the local ponds and gave the Black Ops another shot. Just as I thought it is a great pattern. I landed four carp within 45 minutes of fishing (2 of them being my first two mirror carp of the season). Thanks, Cody for a very simple yet incredibly effective carp pattern. Tight lines!

Attachments

• Black Ops .JPG
    Black Ops .JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Mirror Carp.JPG
    Mirror Carp.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 3
You are the Man Jon, That is so awesome. Im glad you had a good time and the carp looked great. That fly is one of my favorite patterns and I knew you would kill it, Cant wait for the Carp Jam

Thanks for the foxee red Fred!

Attachments

• 20150815_123048.jpg
    20150815_123048.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20150815_123211.jpg
    20150815_123211.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
Nice fish! Fred's foxee red is a great carp fly. I lost mine back in June on a real good fish that took me straight into a huge brush pile.

icyguides wrote:
Thanks for the foxee red Fred!

Nice fish Rob, I'm glad my fly could be of some service for you :-D

Back