Carp Swap 2015

Im okay with tying two flies, both of mine will be the same flies. Carpnasty in orange instead of the blue/gray because i find the orange constantly produces for me.

Nice little surge in participants there! I'll keep this thing open through sunday to see if we hit 15. Since we're over 10, I'll keep it at 1 fly per person.

Updated list:

1. jay348 - pattern tbd
2. icyguides - mikes fuzzy niblet
3. dc410 - backstabber - rusty brown
4. nickr (verbal) - pattern tbd
5. codym21 - carpnasty - organge
6. j55tyger88 - pattern tbd
7. mario66pens - damselfly nymph
8. pro4mance - pattern tbd
9. volksnurse - pattern tbd
10. jeremymcon - crazy carper
11. fred - pattern tbd
12. FT - lafontaine's bristle leech

(did i miss anyone?)

Volksnurse wrote:
I've never tied for carp but sounds interesting. I'm in...pattern suggestions? What would you guys like?

I'm realizing there's a ton of stuff out there, but these swap pages are the best resource I've found with a bunch of info/pics/recipes in one place:

http://www.flycarpin.com/p/flies-for-carp.html
http://www.flycarpin.com/p/carp-fly-swap-2014.html
http://www.flycarpin.com/p/fly-swap-2013.html
http://www.flycarpin.com/p/fly-carpin-2011-carp-fly-swap.html

^ yes this is very helpful. DC just showed me those links. Lots of cool patterns.

I think I like Vibber's Carpsicle....

I am going to do a version or variation on the Swimming Carp Fly that is tied by the guys at in the riffle.
I may deviate a bit from the original pattern, I will post a recipe when I decide on my final version. And if I can learn to post pics I'll post one also.

As a side note, when we did the beginner swap last year. Everyone was asked to post a recipe and pic, it went over really well with everyone. I forget who said it but the quote was "every swap should do this". It's up to you guys. Norm

Both good choices here^^

Good call on the recipes, I completely forgot about this. Either way, I was planning on taking pics of each fly when I sort them anyway.

Feel free to post pics as you go though...it only adds to swap experience. I may or may not tie the swimming nymph I posted yesterday, but maybe it gave someone else some inspiration.

I'm going to tie some foxe minnows for the swap

I have spent more time over the past couple of years flyfishing for carp than I probably care to admit. However, I have had a lot of fun and continue to learn a lot every time I go after them. One of the things that I have learned is that you can't continue to fish over the same carp time and time again, particularly with the same pattern. If you have caught or even stung a carp with a particular fly it will probably be quite awhile before that fish even considers taking that fly again. These fish are not stupid! I have found myself often scouting new areas to find some unsuspecting fish and letting my "honey holes" rest for as much as a couple of weeks before even attempting to fish over these same fish. When I do go back after them I have found that I am much more successful if I throw a different pattern at them. This is where the carp swap enters ..... what an awesome way to get some new patterns into the carp box to throw at them as the old change-up when needed! Also, if the bowfishermen have discovered one of your favorite carp beats, your time is probably better spent finding a new area because these fish become extremely difficult to fool on a fly after they have had arrows flying at them for the past week.

Anyway, here is the version of the Backstabber that I am tying for the swap. It is not what I consider one of my "go-to" patterns, but I have caught a few carp on it and it is a very proven carp pattern over time. Here is the recipe for the version I am tying for the swap:

Backstabber

Hook: Daiichi 1530 size 6
Thread: 6/0 Dark Brown Uni thread
Eyes: 5/32 Nickel lead eyes - Clouser style. (I am considering going down to 1/8 because I am concerned that the 5/32 may bust the presentation. The devil is in the details)
Body: Senyo's Laser Dub - Rusty Brown blended with three different types of Senyo's Shaggy Dub (Medium Brown, Pheasant Tail Brown and Hot Orange) - spun with a dubbing loop.
Wing - Strung Marabou - Golden Brown
Collar - Pheasant Back Feather (Church Window) tied soft hackle style and tied back with the thread from the head.

Attachments

• Backstabber.jpg
    Backstabber.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm interested if there is still a spot available. I am willing to tie the near nuff crayfish or mellow yellow or both. I have tried my hand at carp fly fishing but only ever caught bass and 1 big sucker.

drumat26 wrote:
I'm interested if there is still a spot available. I am willing to tie the near nuff crayfish or mellow yellow or both. I have tried my hand at carp fly fishing but only ever caught bass and 1 big sucker.

Count yourself in!

Sorry guys...been outta town all week, and I'm out for the weekend again. I'll leave this thing open until I check back in next week...addresses will go out then. I'm hoping to stock up on materials at somerset and finally get rolling w/ this.

I am not going to participate. But I have a nice article from a past issue of American Angler (good mag) talking about carp and carp flies. It's over 6 meg compressed so I can't post it here. If you'd like me to send you the file PM me.

Have fun in the swap.

Jay I will be tying the black ops instead of the carp nasty sorry for the change

jay348,

So, how many are we tying up? I've been tweaking the backstabber pattern around for the past week or so. I think I finally got it where I want it for the swap fly.

Sorry guys its been a crazy work week, but I'm back to running this thing right. I'm awaiting one last verbal confirmation...but with 13 participants on the list, that makes a minimum of 12 flies each. Due date is still march 1st, and I'll send out my address this weekend.

Updated list:

1. jay348 - inverted swimming nymph
2. icyguides - mikes fuzzy niblet
3. dc410 - backstabber - rusty brown
4. nickr (verbal) - pattern tbd
5. codym21 - black ops
6. j55tyger88 - pattern tbd
7. mario66pens - damselfly nymph
8. pro4mance - Swimming Carp Fly
9. volksnurse - vibbers carpsicle
10. jeremymcon - crazy carper
11. fred - foxee minnows
12. FT - lafontaine's bristle leech
13. drumat26 - nearnuff crayfish or mellow yellow

(as always, let me know if I screwed this up)

Alright guys, swap is officially closed with 13 participants. Minimum of 12 flies each. Addresses will go out tomorrow. Looking forward to this.

My fuzzy niblets are done:
Tan 6/0 thread
Size 8 nymph hook
black bead chain eyes
Tan Laser Dub
Grizzly Tan Marabou tail
English Grouse collar

I'll drop them in the mail this week.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 4
Interesting pattern and nicely done!

I feel like such a slacker...will be tying a bunch tomorrow. Nice ties Icy!

Hey Volks,

I looked up the Carpsicle fly. It sure has all of the proven components of a good carp pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing and fishing it this season.

Iceyguides, good look on the nibblet fly.

I made a small change to the Backstabber pattern. I am using a mottled brown hen hackle for the collar. I liked the look of the pheasant "church window" feathers but I just couldn't get them to behave for me the way I would like. I have a few to finish up yet, maybe I'll tie some up during the game tomorrow.

Back