Article from the New York Times.

As an old timer, this article's noting that fly-fishing is becoming popular among a group of young people is nothing new. About every 15 or 20 years something(s) happen(s) to make fly-fishing the thing to do, both for the well-to-do and for the average man/woman. A few of these newcomers to ff will become truly enchanted and will become life-long flyfishers. Others will drop out. From my 50+ years on the water, the immersion of groups of people into fly-fishing every so often seems to be a cyclical thing.

I do have to admit that I am surprised that (m)any young people can look up from their cell phones long enough to become interested in fly-fishing.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
tomgamber wrote:
CULTURAL APPROPRIATION AT THE COST OF WHAT INTELLECTUALLY OWNED PROPERTY? EXACTLY WHAT POOR MINORITY IS HAVE ITS CULTURE STOLEN FOR GAIN?

Relax. It was an analogy. I don't buy into Neo-Marxist rhetoric like "cultural appropriation". Our entire society in the Great American Melting Pot is one of "cultural appropriation".

I DON'T NEED TO RELAX. I JUST NEED TO TURN OFF MY CAPS...there does that scare you less? ;-)

You have to admit. Had you been serious, yours would not be the first post in this thread that tried to play people who already fly fish as some sort of victim here.

I think sasquatch is right. This is just another fad that will die out. I say this as a millenial as well, most of my peers have an attention span of a mouse and my younger brother (age 20) is basically whoever he's around. I'm all for the boost in conservation and awareness but not ok with tweed waders, Hermes fly rods, or people flipping out im hurting fish.

This is an interesting article though and brings to light things i wasn't aware of. It seems to have lit a fire around a couple forums i frequent too.

tomgamber wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:
tomgamber wrote:
CULTURAL APPROPRIATION AT THE COST OF WHAT INTELLECTUALLY OWNED PROPERTY? EXACTLY WHAT POOR MINORITY IS HAVE ITS CULTURE STOLEN FOR GAIN?

Relax. It was an analogy. I don't buy into Neo-Marxist rhetoric like "cultural appropriation". Our entire society in the Great American Melting Pot is one of "cultural appropriation".

I DON'T NEED TO RELAX. I JUST NEED TO TURN OFF MY CAPS...there does that scare you less? ;-)

You have to admit. Had you been serious, yours would not be the first post in this thread that tried to play people who already fly fish as some sort of victim here.

It DOES scare me less haha!

No no no. Not interested in playing any sort of victim at all. Seriously just wondering, what happens when the fad is over? Is there a "danger" to fly fishing to experience a big boom and then a big drop in interest/participation?

I love the hipsters! Let them come, I say. But I hope that the same thing that "hooked" all of us on fly fishing for the long haul (whatever that "thing" was-for me it was the simplicity of it, the beauty of where it took me, and the bond it gave me with my dad and brother) hooks them too for the long haul.

I wasn't making fun of Youtube, only saying an expert it does not make. Is there a risk, at all, to oversaturating the market?

I hear you, Squatch. Think back to when "the movie" came out and our streams were loaded with posers. After a while, the fad ebbed. Some of the newbies stayed. Now the flow is coming back and after a period of time, I'm guessing the same thing will happen.

Can't think of any risks associated with the ebb and flow of it all? Except maybe some businesses being created and then dying out?

salvelinus wrote:
Just the market for the Orvis tweed waders!
tweed waders

Orvis announced tweed waters on April 1.

Pretty good April Fools joke!!

troutbert wrote:
salvelinus wrote:
Just the market for the Orvis tweed waders!
tweed waders

Orvis announced tweed waters on April 1.

Pretty good April Fools joke!!

^ JOKE!!

I'm bummed.....I put it on my Christmas list for my wife to buy for me!
:)

My attitude is the more the better for our streams and rivers. Especially if we are bringing in more conservation-minded anglers.

I was driving from Kettle over to Pine and suddenly a huge, brand new SUV started tailgating me coming down the mountain. Eventually I pulled over and they zoomed by. Went down to the fly shop and store and saw they were parked there. Four twenty something bearded guys. Watched as they bought waders, rods and whole setups including hats and special shirts. Going to guess at least $2000.00 in gear each. And only the best of everything. Later I see all of them wading into the creek. Water was up and too high to be going way out. But that didn't stop them.
If you want to see a whole bunch of these guys go up to Roscoe NY. I stood in line holding a roll of tippett and waited 20 minutes while a couple of them blabbed away....Of course the fly shop clerk wasn't about to do anything because they were buying a huge amount of gear.

Conservation minded...who knows.

Well, just think of all the great deals on gear that'll be on craigslist two years from now

drakeking412 wrote:
I think sasquatch is right. This is just another fad that will die out. I say this as a millenial as well, most of my peers have an attention span of a mouse and my younger brother (age 20) is basically whoever he's around.

My younger brother acts the same way. I noticed it, but didn't think of it as generational until you explained it as such.

As for the article, there were a few terms I didnt understand, "influencer" and the like. "Yuppies will pay for anything", that's what I got from the article.

So 10,000 people try the sport and a 100 stick with it.

Its okay to try new things based off what others do. It's called learning and experiences.

Why do millions of 5 year olds try soccer. Because that's what many kids do. Only a handful of them will make it on their high school team or beyond.

And those that give the sport a try dump a bunch of money into it.

Beginners are the ones who need things. That money will help advance the sport and possibly help some struggling local shops.

I have done this for 20 years and barely buy anything big. I haven't purchased anything over a couple bucks in years. (Barring the waders I desperately need soon)

My Turn! Evolution it is called! I do not call this new crowd, "funny names". I embrace them and call them, "brother and sister". "SEEK IT, FIND IT, SMELL IT AND THEN TOUCH IT! Evolution has come full circle. Again, "Heat is on". Now, we must think about getting burned!

Evolution is what i "look for". Restitution is what i have seen for 50 years. Time to shake a leg, "Old yeller". Well, to put it blunt! "Your time is over". Old rusty screws, are replaced by shiney, glistening screws! I look forward to the day, Maxima12 rusty screw is restored to a Cobalt Blue!

The fix is on, Maxima12

P. S. "how's your screw"?

go ahead, touch it, your forehead will turn brown and you arm limp. This is only the start. What goes limp next is only for you to know.

Evolution, New Breed, the 50/ 50 is on. Scared, Yes, not use to share Well you do not have to share any longer. The take is quite complete!

Again, stocking of trout is good! Support the Fish Commission. Support young women and lady fly fisherwomen. And for the non believers, support yourself with a log, branch, 2x4, rope, or just lay down! The "blow of Energy" will subdue you!

Yep, that's me.

Wow. Looking for my bourbon now.

I do think there is a lot more interest in the sport by younger people out west, but trends are trends. I agree with I have noticed a few new TV commercials with fly fishing as the backdrop. I think Geico and can't remember the other...too much bourbon.

What I found most interesting were the comments that people made. You could see about 3 or 4 different schools of thought; from 'don't hurt the fishies' over to "GET OFF MY LAWN!" or "stay off my water'... same thing.
The one commenter noted that 'tackle' is a collective noun. The author used 'tackles' like 'deers' or 'sheeps' several times....as I shake my head ruefully.

It may send some more yuppie millennials to The Catskills. It might spur some sales of American made fly rods. They aren't coming here so it won't add pressure to my waters.

[q]

Relax. It was an analogy. I don't buy into Neo-Marxist rhetoric like "cultural appropriation". Our entire society in the Great American Melting Pot is one of "cultural appropriation". [/quote]

Is 'cultural appropriation' part of post-modernism? I heard it mentioned with that ideology in my time with the Intellectual Dark Web. But then, I'm not sure if neo-Marxism can be differentiated....oh, yeah... Jordan Peterson said that, by the 60's and 70's Marxism was so thoroughly discredited that the French intellectuals had to invent something else. And something like that was the origin of post-modernism.

Cultural appropriation is just what every group of people have done everywhere forever. Somehow it became a derisive term. It makes for a rich culture and a better life. It's how Persian kebabs got to be served with rice (The Mongols).

Pardon the digression.

Syl

"Best Buy", "Cabela's" and "Dodge" all have commercials airing now featuring fly fishing.

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Are they culturally appropriating fly fishing? I know that sounds silly...

Yes, indeed it does sound silly.

Another article written by someone with absolutely no knowledge of fly fishing geared to be read by millennials or Gen X, or is it Gen Y who can keep up with the acronyms? Probably most won't do anything but read it but then a few thousand might just go out and buy a combo and all the other gear. I'm okay with new people getting interested in fly fishing just don't muck up the rivers and be posting up hero shots of 10" brown trout and calling themselves skilled fly fishers.

Back