Article from the New York Times.

Yeah, we all know that, What can you do, I do? Grab these new people by the "Collar, get them in our face, Join Up. Get back to all you been missing". But be aware "Outdoorsman and Outdoorswomen are everywhere! Suit and tie, Smart skirt, blues, browns, bell bottoms and mini's.

Attitude! could be a factor! The equasion : attitude x understanding will work, where as the equasion: conclusion x negativity, Have to figure this one out for myself. I must think "How can i conclude on "Just a Story". Is it real, is it true, "Mother will i grow up and be President".

New York Times, started a Mandslide! Cool, very cool! yes, Man slide! not landslide!

So some New Yorkers are doing some flyfishing in the Catskills.

New Yorkers have been doing that since the 1800s.

Nothing really new.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Here you go, Jifigz. It's been widely reported.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/LicensesandPermits/Pages/HuntingLicenseSalesReport.aspx

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/FishingLicense/Pages/FishingLicenseSalesReports.aspx

To save the download, the PFBC license sales are down almost 40% from a high in 1990. 1,015,000 to 617,000.

It's not just a PA problem either.

Yeah..I knew that interest in many outdoor pursuits is Diana s far as fishing and hunting and camping. I just didn't have a link or care to look it up. Matters none to me, really. But I appreciate the info.

I don't know where this post is going. Are people complaining about the types of people fly fishing is attracting in regards to this article? Or are you concerned about the popularity of the sport in general?

Funny post, "doesn't matter to me". Most likely did not matter to Bergman, Skues, Flick, Darbee, Hewitt, Wulff, Walton, Shires, Koch, Fox, Jorgensen, Chandler, Harvey and the rest! I think they all said, "who cares". When new people showed an interest, they all said "not now". "One for all and all for me". they shouted! I guess it does not matter "to me". For you, I hope you see the difference!

Maxima12

Maxima- I don't know what all your "famous" guys would think and neither do you. The big turn off for a lot of people with the johnny come lately fly fishing thing (and that article is a prime example) is that it seems to be driven by $$$ and all the gear and guide services and even fashion/style. It remains to be seen if any of that translates to some conservation ethic. One thing for sure is that Americans love to CONSUME and overall that translates to MORE pollution and waste. I suspect much of what has made flyfishing popular is MARKETING. Turning an interesting pastime into something that creates big $$$$.

You are of the mindset that streams need friends and I think they can get loved to death.

tomgamber wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:
Again, I"m not taking an "I was here first" approach. I'm simply pointing out what has happened in OTHER areas of life/art when something becomes trendy, and asking, COULD the same thing happen with fly fishing, and what would the downside be? I'm all for passing on traditions. Is there a respect for tradition? Is there even a "set" tradition in FFing?

Squatch, I'm not sure why you think that was directed to you.

Sorry, 'cause it was posted after one of my comments. Sorry for ***-u-ME-ing!

I look forward to seeing parking areas filled by Toyota Prius, bearded guys with man buns and skinny jeans asking me "what's hatching" while they grill veggie burgers on a hibachi....... Pure sarcasm by the way.

Yes, the industry is money driven and if these newcomers have lots of disposable income, the shops/guides/hotels will cater to them. That's self explanatory. I just hope the guides and shops will explain etiquette / safe fish handling practices. I doubt they will.

Provided that the individual isn't super annoying, I will take them under my wing and help them learn the sport. I was once an annoying punk and more seasoned anglers helped me. Without new blood being introduced, it will become a tiny niche sport on its way to dying. It's too wonderful a pastime to let it wither away and die. Bring on the d-bags!

I will try to explain posts, 66, 67, 68 in my words.
#66, "love it to death". Nonsense, "Love it to life".

#67, is there a tradition, History has a long line of tradition, "that was shared".

#68, Money, Value put on the resource, if not careful, cost you money, just to fish! Yep, you will pay the price to enjoy your freedom!

Maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
Funny post, "doesn't matter to me". Most likely did not matter to Bergman, Skues, Flick, Darbee, Hewitt, Wulff, Walton, Shires, Koch, Fox, Jorgensen, Chandler, Harvey and the rest! I think they all said, "who cares". When new people showed an interest, they all said "not now". "One for all and all for me". they shouted! I guess it does not matter "to me". For you, I hope you see the difference!

Maxima12

Doesn't matter to me, either. Does that make me famous, or just one of the rest?

I'm sorry that I am so old that I am becoming senile, I guess. I just do not understand what point Max is trying to make in post 65. I guess he was referring to a previous post.

I think the people he cited in the post did care and that things mattered to them. I do not think they shared an "... all for me" attitude.

Perhaps Max was being sarcastic and was implying the opposite of what he wrote. Or not. I just can't tell.

As I said, I'm old and tired -- and probably losing my ability to decipher some things.

rrt wrote:
I'm sorry that I am so old that I am becoming senile, I guess. I just do not understand what point Max is trying to make in post 65. I guess he was referring to a previous post.

I think the people he cited in the post did care and that things mattered to them. I do not think they shared an "... all for me" attitude.

Perhaps Max was being sarcastic and was implying the opposite of what he wrote. Or not. I just can't tell.

As I said, I'm old and tired -- and probably losing my ability to decipher some things.

Yea, sometimes sarcasm is difficult to communicate over the innertubes. But on that one he bounced back and forth enough that it indicated sarcasm to me. Sure they all cared, but I think he meant they didn't care who was getting into the sport, or why. Ther is no worthiness test.

Or maybe he was pointing out that there is and has been a class system within the sport.

Frankly, I think his main point was that he can name drop with the best of them. ;-)

As far as me not caring, I probably should be more specific. BUt since I don't care what people who don't know me, think of me, i don't care to be more specific.;-)

I would like to reply to post #68 by krayfish2. I agree with it. My world of canoe trips has changed. Canoes are a very good example of a niche market that is dying away.

Kayaks now dominate. Nothing wrong with that. A day on the river is a great day regardless of the watercraft.

The great news for me is that my Donegal Chapter of my local TU informed me that there is going to be a local fly fishing shop again in Lancaster which is great news for me.

I already have two of them in the Poconos where I do all of my fly fishing, and now I have one right down the road before I even get there.

I don't think flyfishing is dying.

The number of people buying fishing licenses has gone down.

But I think the number of people flyfishing now is much higher than it was in 1970s and 1980s.

I think t/bert is on target with post 74 -- even with all the competition for people's time from cell phones.

Was glad to offer the reporter comment for her story. She led the interview with the foundation that this was an article about how millennials are embracing fly fishing compared to their predecessors. I shared my story and was sure to mention the important influence of PaFlyFish (which did not Make the article by name).

That said, it’s all true. Millennials are ruining fly fishing and hipsters are the worst and there’s been some terrible cultural appropriations of a sport that should only be enjoyed by those who are educated/talented/work hard enough to really know what it’s all about.

Cheezus crisp!

Lol, in all seriousness - the other folks she interviewed for the story come from a whole world away from how I met the sport. That said - I’m ok with all of it. Come meet fly fishing, fall “in love with it” - watch a movie - be inspired. I don’t mind. Truth is we’ve got bigger fish to fry when it comes to our waters and we can use any hands on deck we can get. In case you haven’t been to a TU meeting lately - we ain’t getting any younger. I’ll take the hipsters, flat brimmers, and the city folk. Just give a damn.

We’ll work on the rest from there.

Timrobinson, I liked that post. How it applies to fishing.

They did not build the pyramids starting from the top! As with fishing, start at bottom to top, last forever. Start at top. Maybe good for eating ice cream cone! As with this example, you get fulfilled until ice cream is gone. Then you have nothing.

I like Pa. Here is one that will work----- Buy a Pa. fishing license, less than a family trip to McDonalds, healthy, and lasts 360 days! Now, most will say I already do. If you really care, get 1, just one person to buy one who doesn't.

Here is the selling point--- "hey, why don't you get a license and come along. xxxxxxxxxx No problem I have all that stuff you can use. xxxxxxxxxxx be a lot of fun".

maxima12 wrote:

Here is the selling point--- "hey, why don't you get a license and come along. xxxxxxxxxx No problem I have all that stuff you can use. xxxxxxxxxxx be a lot of fun".

I've tried that selling point. Even to somebody who had their own gear. The answer was - "The year is half over, why would I buy a fishing license now? I only can use it for 6 months.".

I agree with that ^

We should have 365 day licenses from date of purchase

krayfish- the dbags do not want your help-they already know EVERYTHING!

Back