Does anyone know if it’s viable to raise a trout streams PH?

The specific one I'm remembering is not a mining reclamation. It's an acid rain problem. Rock run that runs into Linn run. All I can find are articles saying they'll announce their findings that are over a year ago. I'm sure someone can find it.

The lime dosing I saw was addressing acid mine drainage, which is probably a different issue than just a naturally low pH stream.
Low pH usually means less invertebrates such as insects because less calcium is available for their exoskeletons, thus less insects as a food source for trout.

Acid mine drainage affects that also, but has the addition of solubilizing heavy metals which become toxic to fish and probably insects. Lime dosing is as much targeting tying up toxic metals making them less soluble.

I am not sure of the harmful effects of lower pH on fish or differences of tolerance across species.

Dumping limestone in just about any form will eventually be dissolved by low pH water just that the finer it is the faster it dissolves. I wasn’t aware that it could actually seal off from dissolution in certain situations, but I suppose anything is possible.

Another factor in your situation may be the riparian vegetation. There are trees that produce leaf litter that are very favorable for aquatic insect production, and others that are less so, and that most likely depends upon the underlying geology and soil types in your region. This situation may be "unfixable" in the big picture of things. Water chemistry may not be the only limiting factor in your area.

Another factor in your situation may be the riparian vegetation. There are trees that produce leaf litter that are very favorable for aquatic insect production, and others that are less so, and that most likely depends upon the underlying geology and soil types in your region. This situation may be "unfixable" in the big picture of things. Water chemistry may not be the only limiting factor in your area.
Enlarging on this useful thought, I heard the great Stroud Water Research Center discussing the effect of native trees on stream macroinvertebrates. For instance, tan caddis (Hydropsyche) around here, which are native, greatly prefer eating the fallen leaves from native trees like oak. Not so much the exotic trees homeowners plant, like ginkhos, etc. Kinda like pandas eating only bamboo shoots. The caddis pops of a local stream exhibit this effect a lot. So maybe more midges or whatever, but definitely fewer caddis.

Also certain tree leaves like oak are very tannic, which is low pH. Dunno if the tree roots moderate the soil pH,

Enlarging on this useful thought, I heard the great Stroud Water Research Center discussing the effect of native trees on stream macroinvertebrates. For instance, tan caddis (Hydropsyche) around here, which are native, greatly prefer eating the fallen leaves from native trees like oak. Not so much the exotic trees homeowners plant, like ginkhos, etc. Kinda like pandas eating only bamboo shoots. The caddis pops of a local stream exhibit this effect a lot. So maybe more midges or whatever, but definitely fewer caddis.

Also certain tree leaves like oak are very tannic, which is low pH. Dunno if the tree roots moderate the soil pH,
Gonna dump a truckload of oak leaves from my yard into spring creek this fall, got it.

I didn't hear anyone mention what was done on Pine Creek at one of the tribs dumping mine acid in just above Slate Run to improve the hatches.
It did seem to do the trick.
This was many years ago, but as far as I know, the pits are still in operation.

There are two very different topics being discussed on this post.
1. Abandoned or acid mine drainage remediation.
2. Low stream pH due to atmoshperic deposition (acid rain) in watersheds with bedrock material that has little to no alkaline material.

It sounds like the OP is interested in 2, but we do not have enough information. Nor does it sound like he has enough imformation to know what is causing the perceived issues in his watershed of interest in North Carolina.

Back