Any info on upper delaware? 4/23/15

I am heading up to the WB on Friday. I am hoping for a release, but it doesn't look like anything really changed. The flow went up for a little, but I am assuming that was from the rain. I hope they get a lot more rain today. The temp really went down though.

The flow is going up again and the temp has really dropped. This is good.

It looks as though most of the rain has missed that specific area. At least we've got a good soaking from Scranton and to the south.

What's rescued the D is the overcast / cooler weather. Water temps dropped 10+ degrees on most waters which is fantastic for the critters. The week before I went up and the week after at decent to good conditions. The week I was there.....it was room temperature. That's the way it goes up there sometimes. I just hope they start to release a little more once the water temps start to climb again. That area need a good 24-48 soaking rain to replenish feeders and ground water. Keeping my fingers crossed that they get some. Hope to get another shot at it before the end of the month.

the upper WB was very cold - 52F from Thursday to Sunday, i was up there with the WCFF'ers.

fishing was quite hot first thing (from 5.30-8.30am), but the afternoon and evening hatches were a bust due to low water and hot sun.

the fish i caught on nymphs were all strong and in great condition, their silver sides and very pale backs perfect camouflage for the pale stony bottom.

tn_gallery_1690_205_602736.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_748261.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_1317142.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_745408.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_171432.jpg

tn_gallery_1690_205_952937.jpg

i had one 14" fish on a zug bug, but all other fish were taken on my hamfisted version of Jack's (luv2nymph) Mink Nymph.

i'm pretty sure all were wild and the last fish was around 18" which is my best wild brown on the fly. so i was chuffed bearing in mind the tough conditions.

In regard to the low flows, it seems the NY DEC are committed to a goal of maximum capacity at Cannonsville on June 1st each year, which was partially the reason for the very low flows.

Yesterday on June 1st they released an extra 100CFS which brought the river up 3"and the fishing was exceptional yesterday by all accounts.

cheers

Mark.

Any talk of this fall jam still?

Absolutely. I'm waiting too see if they release water or just let the fish die during our next warm spell.

The MO is they let the fish die. There's no reason for that, there is enough water to go around for everyone concern.
They don't even release water when a big storm is coming.

If the tunnels supplying water to the city are fixed, the city couldget the same amount of water that they currently do AND each branch could release 500-600 cfs. That would be a huge help to the east but would probably hurt the main by feeding more warm water during the summer.

They have been working on new tunnels for 30 yeas and rumor is that they might be operational late this year or early next year. We'll see.

It took 4-6 weeks for them to get a helping rain but it finally happened. 272 release from Cannonsville but 2400+ at Hale Eddy. Upper EB is also over 1200! The water temps are falling with slug of runoff. The best news might be the the inflow to both lakes went from 100 to 1200+ cfs. A couple days of that might result in us getting some cold water releases!! Here's hoping they get a another storm in the next 24-48 hours. Keep doing the rain dance.

FINALLY

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
thats good news. i hope the suplhur hatch for next year is not buggered up by the low cold flows of the last 6 weeks or so.

Mark, it was only cold in the top 3-4 miles. Under the releases of 600+ the past couple of years, it would stay around 48-52 at hale eddy for the high temp. The water this year has been pretty warm and by most accounts I've heard, the hatches were sub par. We'll find out in 2016 how much damage was done by this. I honestly think most of the hatches were late at night due to conditions which gave the impression there were no hatches.

With the recent rains, the reservoirs are nearing 100% (might get close by Tuesday / Wednesday).....yet they refuse to let out more cold water. Hopefully this triggers a more generous release. Might pull a run up next weekend if they do release.

Hey Kray,

450 at S-ville isn't bad. The temps are good right now on the WB and MS. The flow is high right now because of the rain. A good storm this week may put the River down (or up) for the count by this weekend.

Attachments

• usa.JPG
    usa.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 2
Hoping to make one last trip up in the next few weeks

I got a call from a forum member yesterday. They fished after the deluge. Water clarity of 1", maybe 2". They boated 12 fish in less than 3 miles. In the muddy water, fish taking #18 sulphurs that were emerging.....go figure. The stained water also let you anchor 10' from the fish without them spooking. I'm dying to get the new boat in the water and the Susky is through the roof. Kramer has a life vest and we're going to make a run very soon.

Air temps are really going to cool off for the upcoming late week. Who knows, but July 4th weekend could turn out to be a better fly fishing weekend than Memorial Day Weekend. Would not be the first time.

Fishing has been good from Stilesville to Hale Eddy since they started releasing 400cfs last week, I just checked this morning and they bumped it up to 500cfs. Now is as good as any other time to fish since we finally have cold water throughout the West Branch.

I am planning on going to fish the East branch this Saturday. However, i noticed in the forecast that it might be raining. Since this will only be my third time fishing the EB. Does it matter that it will be raining. Does this river get cloudy quickly?

There's nearly 30 miles of that branch. It varies greatly in size, structure, sediment and feeders. What section are you looking at fishing? It really depends on where the rain hits as to what gets dirty and how dirty. If it's below the junction with the Beaverkill, keep an eye on the temps (should be good but ya never know).

Back