Any info on upper delaware? 4/23/15

Theyre gonna have to release any day now. The water at lordville is sadly low. Its only 20 cfs above the regulation at montague. Supposedly they actually do care about the trout, so if it was hot all this week too i bet they would have released as well.

Had a good time up there this weekend, found rising fish each day, caught some of those legendary upper d rainbows, biggest being about 15 inches. Then, fought off the skunk right before dark last night with a beautiful 17 inch brown. good times hopefully i'll be back real soon

Andy, i'm in for the fall jam!

Everyone on the D will be fishing in Andy's wake....even got Kramer running at full tilt (the four legged blur in the foreground)...

Congrats, Andy. Best of luck with your new craft. Many years of good fishing.

Attachments

• KF2 Dboat.JPG
    KF2 Dboat.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 4
Sweet craft. saw a lot of those launched and saw a bunch float by this weekend

I wish i was still there

Taht is correct Tom. Kramer made several highspeed fly bys bbefore jumping in and sitting down. A little more rein and it might be useful. Now to get the diagnosis on my vehicle that had to be towed Sunday morning. May not be fishing for a while if it's a major fix. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Geez.

krayfish2 wrote:
Taht is correct Tom. Kramer made several highspeed fly bys bbefore jumping in and sitting down. A little more rein and it might be useful. Now to get the diagnosis on my vehicle that had to be towed Sunday morning. May not be fishing for a while if it's a major fix. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Geez.

Wow, you finally got a decent wagon to pull and the horse dies!

Ain't that the truth. Garage called and I'm in for $1100. That will cut my trip by a few days. I'll bet 5 years in a row, mechanical failure on vehicle less than 7 days prior to heading to NY. It might be time for a new horse soon.

I put 900 into mine last week before i went up andy, i feel ya

The warm stream temps make them much more easy to catch, just net 'em as they float by bellyup. Fillet 'em up, salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon and throw 'em on the grill. Serve with cold beers at your favorite Upper Delaware campsite!

Kray,

So about this catskill jam.... Depending on how many people we have i have a great place to stay...

Was supposed to go up tomorrow and friday to float the main, but mother nature seems to have other plans for me.

These are my options as I see them

1) Wade fish upper west or east
2) Change course to state college area
3) #censor# the trip and bank the vacation days

Leaning towards 3 and banking the days to wait for some water to come through the system. Thoughts?

I spent all of last week on the Big D.
And it was one of my best fishing trips up there in years.
The low flows are perfect for wading and fishing dry flies IMO.
I caught fish on just about every fly that hatches this time of year - including green drakes.

I fished the lower WB from the game lands down to Hancock - and found water temps consistently in the '50's. At 300 CFS, the trout were a little skittish. But reaching them was no problem for sure.

I also fished the first few miles of the main stem below Hancock - with water temps there slightly higher, in the low '60's.
It was running around 1,000 CFS during my visit - making it quite wadable.

If you want the opportunity to catch big fish on dry flies, I would certainly recommend going up there right now

Been here since Sunday. We floated main on Sunday and there was good action last 45 minutes of daylight. Mid day winds kicked tons of golden stones onto the water. Trout, bass and chubs were on them. By Monday evening, main and east were toast due to temps. The last mile or so of the wb was near 70!!. Upper Eb below Harvard was also very warm.

Yes, low flows make for easy wading but temps are now the issue. Only action we've seen was first 45 minutes and last 45 minutes of daylight...if you could find water 68 or less. I'd say bank the vacation or bring your golf clubs. Need rain and releses badly or there will be problems in the near future. I've never seen ALL branches and Beaverkill in such bad shape.

I know someone will say "just fish below the damz the water is plenty cold". Well, every angler is jammed in a 5 mile section. We did it one morning and saw zero bugs / zero fish. I'm heading home early as this was a bust.

No doubt things changed since DFG was there.

The low flows along with the spike in air temps has made the lower WB, the EB and the MS too warm to fish. And KF2's report about the upper WB speaks for itself.

Many of the Guides are cancelling bookings this week.

State College area would be good choice right, now or perhaps save your time off for later......but no one can predict how the River will fish later this summer.

Yeah - guess I timed things pretty well for once.
My first day up there - monday the 18th - was rather warm.
But the WB at the methodist camp was still fairly cool in the '60's
Then it poured down rain that evening, and the weather cooled off the rest of the week.
By wednesday, thusrday, and friday - I was wearing thermal under wear, and wool socks. Also had to fight the wind for several days.

I see now that the main stem at Lordville has jumped up over 70 the last few days.
But the WB at Hale Eddy still has peaked at only 62 degrees - crowds and all I guess

DELAWARE RIVER REPORT / CONDITIONS MAY 29, 2015
May 29, 2015 Jeff White

Today is going to be a tough day for the lower West Branch, East Branch, and Upper Mainstem. Once the sun hits the water stick to fishing above Hale Eddy on the West Branch and above Harvard on the East Branch. The forecast for today is for air temperatures in the 80’s and bright sun. Once the sun hits the water and exposed rocks we are going to heat up quickly. The lower West Branch hit 69 degrees yesterday and the Mainstem peaked at 72 degrees at Lordville. After this cool morning fades let’s give the water a break below Hale and Harvard. We have cooler temps and some potential rain coming in a couple of days that will hopefully give us some relief.
Fishing has been touch and go over the last few days. We are seeing a lot of bus but the fish have been shy in the sun and low water. There are fish rising if you look and are patient. A lot of the activity is happening once the sun drops below the hills. Keep an eye out for spinner falls- especially the coffin flies. We should be seeing some nigh time brown drake hatches soon too.
- See more at: http://thedelawareriverclub.com/blog/#sthash.MVE4HYHU.dpuf

Theyre having a big meeting at the FUDR office in Hancock on sunday to discuss this flow bullshit. If this continues throughout the summer, say goodbye to our beloved river.

We started fishing this morning and the water temps were 63. In an hour and a half hours, water was 70. We decided to head home. There were still d-bags out fishing. 100 miles of trout water reduced to 6-8 miles of fishable water. Low release, bright sun and hot/humid weather taking its toll. Rumors swirling about predictions of drought and NYC panic reason for minimal releases. It's pretty bad up there right now. If the weather and releases continue, fish kills will happen. The upper portions of each branch will offer refuge. Probably should close the river to fishing if things don't improve soon.

If you were planning to fish the system, please change plans until conditions improve a ton.

Well for all you Delaware fans, we have some relief coming. Tomorrow according to the Flexible Flow Plan they have to realease. Pretty sure this is because of the thermal stress on trout. Not positive but thats what I've heard. They will keep what they can until they have to release. Well see how much theyll actually give us. 5-800 out of cannonsville would be great.

Kray,
When are you thinking for this catskill jam?

Back