Any info on upper delaware? 4/23/15

Any info on the D lately? Heading up there thurs-sat of next week. Weather is supposed to be in the low 80's the whole time up in hancock. The edge of the hendricksons is here as a few have been seen starting to hatch. My buddy fished up there yesterday and today. had 7 yesterday, and 13 today. Did pretty well. Some on nymphs, some on dries. He said its gonna explode any day now with this warmer weather coming. Last year we had way too much water in the WB, and now this year we have almost none. Mainstem is gonna be packed.-Kev

I would agree with most of the folks that the original race of Rainbows in the Mainstem and East Branch tend to mostly max out at about 18". I have caught a few rainbows in the West Branch that go well over 20" and they look and act differently than the original race of rainbows. Some guides speculate that they are another more recently introduced race of rainbows that spawn in the West Branch tribs and get older and have a different morphology than the original race of wild rainbows. Unlike the footballs of the mainstem and East branch these fish tend to be long and graceful with larger heads. These West Branch rainbows tend to bite during and after a rain storms and during periods of big water releases on the West Branch. Some times you can find them up the tribs in the Early Spring if it is not too cold, but this Winter and Spring was a cold one.

Water temp is 70 in Calicoon right now...heading up next thurs, fri and saturday. Might be smallmouth fishing instead of trout if this keeps up

Yep. Without rain, it's going to be an early end to the season up there. Stimey was just up and reported low water and algae bloom that prohibits nymphing. I can't recall algae being a factor this early in the season. Geez. I do t think they start releasing 600-700 cfs until mid June. Not a good start to the season for sure. He did hit a blizzard apple caddis hatch with no risers though.

Chance of t-storms sunday monday tuesday. Then its supposed to get really cold. Be interesting to see how that shakes out going from real warm to real Cold. Supposed to be 30 on thurs night

^^really cold? It will probably shake out with 40mph winds

Forecast looks like most of the wind will be wednesday

The studies show that once the water temp reaches 65,.those fish are on the move seeking cooler water. There might be a max exodus from lower east and lower main before the hendricksons are done. Very strange to say the least.

Also looks lime that tropical storm will miss PA except for a little rain in southeast corner of the state. I did the rain dance last May before we headed up and we ended up with 5500 cfs at Stilesville. LOL. I'm afraid to do it again.

No please dont do that raindance again, that did not work out last time!

We floated it without iseue. Actually caught a pile of fish and had little problems anchoring. Riffs at Hale Eddy were scary in an inflatable but serviceable.

Rain dance will be applied in next 48 hours....it's needed.

Fished the West Branch and Main stem Friday and Saturday. Floated Balls Eddie to Bard Parker Friday, caught fish all day and three nice ones in Junction pool before dark. Water on West Branch is very low but not too low to float pontoon most places. I had to stand up and walk only a few times. Saturday morning I was at the hospital in Calicoon as I noticed I had a tiny tick embedded in my skin and a small round red mark. They gave me a prescription...better safe than sorry. By mid morning I was on the water, drifted Shehawken to Buckingham Saturday and then went back up to Junction pool before dark. Caught fish Saturday, but fishing was tough due to the wind. Got skunked Saturday night. Clouds of Caddis all day long both days, including tan, #16 - 14, brown/green (probably Grannom) and apple #16-14, and some Hendricks and Paraleptophlebia. Everything I caught was on cdc caddis different sizes or dropper with various caddis nymphs and emergers.

Pontoon works great, no problems, lot of fun, it is definitely the way to fish the Delaware.

Also picked up Weamer's book at Coz's shop (Border Water Outfitters) as well. It is the Bible as you guys have said.

Also, I stay at Capra Motel in Hancock and they shuttle my vehicle. The place is nice and clean, the price is right and the Inez who runs the place is the best!

Ill be back up in a week or two.

Sounds like you had a good go of it. I heard a couple of people say the apple caddis was crazy thick but first weren't really 'on them' but it's tough when there's that many bugs at once.

At his point, it's knee deep in too many places and the water temps are becoming an issue. Temps at lordville topped out around 71-72 today. No releases or rain in sight. At least the evenings have been semi cool. March to June transition in 2 weeks is kind of bizarre. Come on rain!

I'll be up thurs-sun camping in equinunk right on the river there. Couldnt believe the temps in lordville today. Its supposed to start going back down into tHe 40s at night on tuesday. Hoping that along with much lower daytime air temps will get the water temps back to a nice cool place by thursday even if no rain. Hoping for rain though, do the dance andy, its time

Today's DRC blog sums it up.....please don't fish until the temps drop to 67 or lower. Cool nights and a bit of rain should fix things in a few days
-----------------------------------------

May 11, 2015. by Jeff White

Take today off from fishing.  The Lordville gage is showing 69 degrees already this morning.  We believe that the Lordville gage registers cooler than the actual river temperature so the Mainstem is a little over 70 degrees already.  It looks likes the potential for rain has been decreasing and we are only looking at around a 1/10th of an inch this afternoon with air temperatures in the 80’s.  A little more rain should fall overnight but much of it will be soaked up by the ground and vegetation that is leafing out.  The air temps will remain warm tonight but will begin to drop on Tuesday night offering a little relief.  We are watching the system closely and making decisions day by day.
We are not going to fish or take anyone fishing today.  Like yesterday we suggest everyone take today off to give the fish a break.  Hopefully mother nature provides us some relief over the next few days.
The West Branch at Hale Eddy peaked at 67 degrees yesterday.  The lower West Branch, East Branch, and Mainstem all peaked over 70 degrees.  Callicoon peaked over 75 degrees.

And when they do open the gates.....get ready for 50 tons of slime to be launched downriver along with 50 tons of elodia. Last Monday nymphing was impossible down past WBA due to algae bloom caused by low flows. Normally not an issue until mid/late June. It's a mess this year. LOL. Tropical dorm needed ASAP.

Fished Thursday-sat the 7th-9th.

Thursday was good starting off at shehawken with 4 on nymphs within an hour, before coming to junction. Didn't catch another fish until about 6 at cemetery. Fish ate rusty spinners.
Hendricksons, quill Gordon's, parallelps, grannoms, and a few Apple caddis. Most people think the thousands of caddis were all Apple, most were grannoms.

Friday started at buckingham. Tough day with the heat. Hooked up with 4 but didn't land a fish until 8:15 on a knockdown hendrickson
Emerger. Nice fat 19 inch brown with a Kype.

Saturday. Fished all over. Started at buckingham riffle with nada. Had a buddy over at roscoe campgrounds so went and fished the beaverkill with him. He got a nice holdover. Went back to shehawken for a couple drinks on nymphs. At night went to my buddies place on the lower east and caught a nice now and a slob brown on 16 rusty spinners. Fish were suckin down spinners all over. Good trip can't wait to get up in September for Isis and cahills.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 4
I was going up in September but if you're saying Isis will be there, I might be changing plans. LMAO

You check temps Saturday? They had to be getting close to borderline. I hung behind Ben's 2 weeks ago....no bugs and no risers. Couldn't Moe any on nymphs. It was dead.

Kev, if you head up between now and September, give me a shout.

Yes sat behind bens water was like 65-66ish. Fish were eating all over.
They have to release June 1st with regs to the flexible flow plan. They need it bad. I'll be gone till end of August but sept I'll be up. Isos!

Did they get any rain up there last night?

Back