Allen Xa Fly Rod

Since I already communicated with bassman, I'll make it public.

As to the Xa Allen rod - I haven't seen one yet. I doubt Justin would put his name on a pooch. Who knows - this new rod could wind up being the hottest thing around. There's no risk in trying it, so why not?

I'm thinking of ordering the same rod as bassman. I KNOW I'm gonna order a Trout 3/4 very shortly. A 7'6" 3wt 3pc Xa rod and a Trout 3/4 would be sweet. I'm not terribly worried about it casting 60', as it would be used for tight quarters anyway.

Relax Steven - you did OK.

Bassman,

My advice to you, and any beginner (heck, even veteran) FFer - go to a fly shop(s) and cast a bunch of rods before you choose. Reading all your posts, you buy most of your stuff on-line. While that's okay for some stuff, fly rods, especially should be cast to judge which works best for you. You chose between two rods and never cast either one.

My basement is littered with rods I bought when I started FFing. Many of the rods (and reels) I was never really happy with to begin with, and I ended up looking for and buying another and another....

I finally wised up and cast a bunch of rods until I found one that I really liked, and I still have and fish most of those rods. If I did that from the beginning, I would have been much satisfied, and in the long run, you would have spent much less money.

Why not visit Heritage Ed and let him show you what he has to offer. Make it your mission to cast as many rods as you can, until the differences between them become apparent, and you are able to make intelligent decision as to what rod is right for you.

HE may even give you a free casting lesson..... ;-)

afishinado wrote:
My basement is littered with rods I bought when I started FFing. Many of the rods (and reels) I was never really happy with to begin with, and I ended up looking for and buying another and another....

I think its amusing so many of us say this, yet never bothered to practice it...and, I imagine, if put into the position to do it again, still wouldn't.

I still tell my wife they're like golf clubs, and I need a whole set...

You asked a question, and I am here to give you an answer not turn your thread into a discussion haha. Justin falls into the category of more of a friend to me than a business owner. (Not enough of a friend to give me free products ;) whom I have gotten to know a little over the last year/year and a half.

I have been fishing the 5wt XA rod and what i am pretty sure was an XA 3wt I purchased off of him a year or so ago for about $200.

Heres a quick overview for ya.

The 5wt is incredible, i use it streamer fishing for stripers,smallmouth, and trout. In all honesty you will have no trouble casting down to your backing with the rod, it has a little more backbone than all my other 5wts, I am almost considering putting the rod into a 6wt category.

For the creeks around here in PA I do not usually use the 5wt XA for nymphing, Like i said it is a bit overkill IMO for most of the trout I have around my area. Windy days, it is a treat throwing drys, A buddy I fish with, who has been FF for over 50 years, and Whom I consider the best fly fisherman of ALL TIME, says it would be a great rod for taking out west.

Now I know I am only saying good things about the rod, well here comes some of the cons.

The rods guides have ovalized over time. I fish everyday, and put most of my products through hell. Justin knows about the guides and im sure he has taken note on what is now the new XA rod, (black version in there new pictures, I have a green version)
It does not bother me at all, but I know it is a problem.. The rod still casts great even with the guides being all.... not round..

On my rod, the reel seat is a wood grain finish that does not go with the green at all, It looks better on that black version of the rod (looking at the pictures) but It seems to shy away from the new look I feel they are trying to bring into fly fishing. I guess you could say, out with the old traditional look on things and in with the new.

Thats it for the 5wt
Cons...
Ovalized guides
not the best looking rod out there
You may be deceived thinking your buying a 5wt then you get a 6wt rod

Pros
Throws your flies miles
Good backbone
one of Skibos most used Rods

Ill keep this short on the 3wt

I got to fish the 3wt for a few days..... I was pulling my line out and it snapped. Totally my fault.

The 3wt weighs about 1oz and was a suuuuuuper fun rod to use before I broke it. I am a little worried tho, the jump from the 5wt to 3wt is a bit drastic. Its like going from a 2by4 to a drinking straw, Take note, 5wt, great streamer rod... 3wt great small creek rod and i mean small, possibly a great time with brookies. The 3wt is like an ultra light in spin casting but for flyfishing. It is a great rod, one that I would LOOVE to get a replacement section for. It came with 2 tip sections, to bad the tip did not break. Not sure if justin is going to do this with the release of the rods (having 2 tips)

Well this overview has turned into more of a review, there both great rods and I actually hope there the same in the new release because I have taken everything from huge carp, to trout, stripers, and pike on the 5wt... enjoy these pics..

Mods feel free to post as a review, Justin feel free to post on your facebook, or whatever

Enjoy a few of these pics I have taken while I have had The XA rod

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/fishhh.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/26534857.jpg/

Regarding the Allen Rods. I have one of the first rods out. I really like it. I have reels, hooks and a fly box too, all before the shipping was even close to fast. All quality products.
I can say with reasonable certaintly the rod appears to be a Batson Rainshadow or similar product from Batson. Not a bad blank.

Back