Allen Xa Fly Rod

well....I cannot delete or edit my last post...so I shall post again

I ended up ordering the Allen gear. The guys over there have been super on top of my e-mails and questions. I guess it is worth to give it a shot. I can always return they said if I did not like the rod......that's that.....finally put on my big boy pants and made a decision!

Wait, you decided to pass on a Scott A3 for an Allen?

Shoulda went for the Scott brosef. You did say you can return the Allen though.

man, if i had you guys' money i'd burn mine.

(is that grammatically correct? jay, spot check me)

So Gary, if you hypothetically HAD to choose between an ALLEN and a Scott A3 that cost the same money, what would yous choose? The A3's are going for under 200.

I know I would take the A3 by a company that is highly rated for their fly rods, and the A3 was a highly rated rod.

reading comprehension > you.

"buy the Allen Rod and Reel for the same price as the Scott A3 discontinued price on the TCO website"

SBecker wrote:
Wait, you decided to pass on a Scott A3 for an Allen?

This. Seriously. For the same cost you passed on a highly rated American made rod.

What you could not come up with...."buy Scott A3 and put 25 dollar medalist on it" you F'n disappoint

Edit:I know you love to argue with me, just to argue, but seriously this is just retarded.

frankly, i wouldn't have bought either of them. i would've patrolled forums for ridiculously low cost hardy lightweight rod then inexplicably bought a 5'9" cabela's cgr two weeks after it showed up in the mail.

because they are esoteric and/or elite. like me. or something.

also, stuck a $5 ocean city #35 on them. stupid reel seats won't take a pflueger 1492.

Just admit I am right, we are not talking about glass or any other #OOPS# your actually into. We are talking common sense.

but you're not right, you're wrong. its an incomprehensible decision to me because i find it silly. i desire neither of these objects.

if i wanted a shorty, i'd have done exactly what i did. bought the 5'9" cgr for a steal, and banked a hardy rod for future invesment and use in a middle-of-the-road length (7'), and done it all for less than what the scott cost, including the reel. admittedly, i already had that, but its the point of it that counts. it cost me $5. and its quite a looker. needs to be understood how to tune the spring. i imagine its doable, but the idea eludes me as to how. nice solid clunk of a clicker, though.

also, may be turned utterly silent with a switch. that's some high tech feature there.

Yes just keep talking about stupidity. you could really help this guy, such he is your bud. however, you are just gonna ramble on.

HERITAGE: Please call your bud and talk some sense into him. I do not know how many times you and I have had convo's about Allen.

i already did. i suggested several times to not spend money on anything. however, he has his own mind and choses to do something different.

to continue to say that over and over would be irksome to him, to those who read this, and to my fingers. he has taken my partially solicited advise, and made a decision of his own.

also, i don't think a 5'9" 3wt CGR is going to be of much enjoyment for him, frankly, its sort of too softish and short for me, but I just need to find the right place. I oculdn't pass it up, I imagine it'll go away quicker than it'll last. How often does one really need a rod that short?

I figured I could always return the rod if I do not like it....but if I do end up liking it then I saved some money instead of buying the Scott.

I understand that the Scott is the better rod, but for the same price I got a their Alpha reel along with the the rod....$234....

Many people like their reels from what I have read and if they had a problem it was quickly taken care of....so I took a shot in the dark on their rod. If it does not work out then I could always buy the Scott later (used or at a store if I can find one again)

Sbecker.....if it pains you that I purchased the Allen why did you not say something before?

Gfen....you and my wife would get along great. I know that saving money is good, but I sold a guitar....and wanted a new rod and reel. I am not even spending all the money from the guitar on this....its just a little bit of what I had come in.

don't look at me, i was done curbing your desire on this one. have at it.

You Pm'd me and asked me my evaluation of my A3. I could not answer the question, because i have yet to even cast it. If you would have said " I am thinking about a Scott or an Allen, what do you think?" I would have directed you to all of the positive great reviews of the Scott and pointed you in that direction. You never told me your other choices.

You Pm'd me and asked me my evaluation of my A3. I could not answer the question, because i have yet to even cast it. If you would have said " I am thinking about a Scott or an Allen, what do you think?" I would have directed you to all of the positive great reviews of the Scott and pointed you in that direction. You never told me your other choices.

I know what I sent you...I just could have sworn I saw you on this thread before and was wondering why you waited till now to say anything...if not and this is the first time you read anything on here then I understand.

May I ask what you have against Allen? Like I said....almost all the reviews of their reels are excellent......so what would be so wrong with their rod? I know Scotts are handcrafted AND made in the USA...in the end it just came down to the fact that I can get both rod and reel for the price of the scott.....If I do not like it then the Scott rod will be the next place I turn.

I might have browsed this thread quickly, but really paid no attention. You PM'd me today and only had a quick chance to respond, because of work/college class. Once again. You asked a simple question and I gave a simple answer.

I have nothing against Allen, other then some really slow bad service. his products that I have purchased have been fine. I have even considered buying an Allen reel for my Scott. However, if given a choice between the A3 and a brand new, not really consumer tested, start up company fly rod. My answer would have been buy rod, get cheap reel until you can afford better. The rod is the real source of pleasure. The real is a complete line holder on a 3 wt. you will never need a drag. I love fancy reels. I am like a kitty kat when it comes to fancy. Yet, I even wanted to get a click and pawl Reddington for my 3wt.

Back