Allen Xa Fly Rod

thebassman

thebassman

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to see the Allen Xa Fly Rod and what you thought of it. I am in the market for a new rod/reel set up as most of you know and have been thinking about the new Allen rod.

Anyone also know when they are going to be released?? I keep checking the site and it keeps saying pre order.....

Thanks,
Steven

Steve,
what size are you looking for?Trout a 5 weight is king only thing that matters is the action and length.if you are gonna do both regular and large streams 9' or even a 10 footer,if you are after a small stream rod 7' to 7'6" will serve you well again a 5 weight or a 4 weight nice thing about 5 weight rods is you can always line up a size and line down an yer where ya want to be just get a reel that will hold a six weight line and then two extra spools, one for the 5 weight ,aand the last one for a 4 weight,you have the best of both worlds.
Trouble is i dont believe you can do it all with one rod,that said get a 9-10 fooot five weight,and a small stream rod 7-7'6" one reall with two extra spools and yer there dude.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
If i may concur Grey's makes a nice 10 footer in five weight,and the Cortland Brook 10 footer really hammers too i have a four weight ,will get the five weight soon also.

thebassman wrote:
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to see the Allen Xa Fly Rod and what you thought of it. I am in the market for a new rod/reel set up as most of you know and have been thinking about the new Allen rod.

Anyone also know when they are going to be released?? I keep checking the site and it keeps saying pre order.....

Thanks,
Steven

I don't know. I like my Allen reel but product roll out and keeping things in stock seem problematic.

I have an 8'6 5 weight already. Just looking for a shorter and lighter rod... totally unnecessary but just looking for a new toy

So I edited my last post, but it did not show up....

I am thinking about selling my 8"6 5weight and 8'6 8weight and purchase something that I think will work better for me and the places I fish. I am thinking about a short 3 weight and a longer (9ft) 5 weight. I do not chase bass that much anymore (at least any of great size) and figure a 5 weight can pretty much get me by. If I do decide to chuck something bigger for bigger bass I always have my Heddon Lifetime Pal 8'6 8weight that I can take.

My other option is short (6 or 6'6) 3 weight and keep my 8'6 5 weight....but thats a later decision. I am just wondering about the Allen Rod.....I cannot find anything about it and it seems like no one knows much about it...

Thanks for the interest!

The rod is still available to pre order until our first full shipment arrives here this week, then they will be officially released. Many sizes are close to sold out already, so if you want to find out when you might expect to receive your rod, please email us at

info@allenflyfishing.com

Or for any questions about the rod specifications or overall performance and practical application, contact our on staff pro, Evan

evan@allenflyfishing.com

Email sent

Never fished a rod or reel from them but, I hear good things about the reels.

I've had some bad experiences with the hooks/line. Lots in package w/o eyes/points or just completely broken. Then again they are what.. two-something a pack. And line that just turned to mush really after a couple uses.

oh? I would have been happy to replace the hooks or the line. Our hooks are doing very well and we get good replies on the lines aswell. If an email was sent I would have been happy to help. We also have a premium line of hooks being released soon.

NCPA,
did you use line dressing on the line or clean it with a line cleaner?some cleaners and dressings will " MUSH" your line .and between Cortland and Sci Angler it could be two entirely different dressings.One year i made mistake of cleaning lines instead of washing em with plain ivory dish wash liquid and they mushed on me, cant remeber if it was the dressing or a line cleaner.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
I do know that i had both lines from those two manufactures and one was harmed one way and the other was not and the other was harmed the other way..be careful not sure what to clean or redress a line after cleaning with call the manufacturer.If I remeber right it cost me four lines that year ,sucked to say the least.

Out of several hundred hooks I bought from Justin, maybe two or three had defects. That's as good or better than other manufacturers.

What I really like about his hooks is that they seem less brittle than Tiemcos. Every single hook has been nasty sharp as well. I'll definitely order more - especially at those prices.

I just ordered two of his clear double sided fly boxes....just waiting on their return e-mail.....hopefully I am not waiting forever....

Well the hooks were ordered right after the company announced the release of them so I kind of expected that there would be some that would be like that. I didn't really care about the money spent on them since they were so inexpensive.

And no, I never had a chance to clean that line, the third day I used it it started to "disintegrate" if you will, would stick to my guides, it was a mess. I was pretty peeved at that but, didn't bother to send an email because I was already waiting for two boxes to be sent to me 2 months after I ordered them. Just figured it would have been a waste.

On the other hand I would probably order hooks again just because of the price. I've caught plenty of fish on 'em. I was just surprised with the first order I had received.

I'm not trying to put down the company, I'm sure the products are great. I just don't care for the wait on shipments.

I ordered a sampler of the hooks long ago, and followed up with justin.

They never arrived, nor did the free 9wt line that I was promised. I followed up and got the line, though a 5wt was sent instead. The hooks were mentioned in my emails, but were not sent with the line.

I chalked it up as a loss at that point, and decided not to order any more or continue pursuing the issue.

I have enjoyed the allen products I've gotten, but the customer service IMO has been feast or famine. I've withheld that comment for a long time, but it's an honest appraisal of my experience, so there it is.

Why would anyone buy or pre order a new to the market rod without seeing or casting one?

Why would anyone buy or pre order a new to the market rod without seeing or casting one?

RowJimmy wrote:

Take it for what it's worth, but there are a smattering of reviews out there on the rods.

Hello,

I admit the quality has gottin much better from the start. I'v also invested into a new heat treat and forging process on our new hooks that are coming soon.

The whole waiting on shipments are done. I took a huge leap starting in August with a new shipping location and a full time employee doing my shipments and taking care of other things aswell. Our Demand is finaly meeting our supply from a stock issue.

I like to update everyone in our newsletter on the progress of the new shipping location and other things aswell. I think its good to let everyone know what is going on. Since the release of the shipping and stock issues. I have seen a number of old customers come back becuase of the faster shipping times.

As some of you may know being a small business doing everything yourself is alot of work, but the hardest part is admitting its to much for one person. I have 2 people helping me now and things have started heading in the right direction.

Our warehouse is fully stocked now with Hooks, Fly Boxes, reels, and the rods will be here shortly. Both in the Xa and Myth (old Nano Ti) and with 3 more rods we are working on that will be stocked in December. We are getting to where we ship the same day or next pending on what time the order was placed.

Our products have been doing well, but I knew the service needed to be improved with the growth of the company.

JayL - I dont blame you for your post. I would feel the same way. Eventhough you may never order from me in the future. I take negitive posts personal so I can improve or atlease make things right.

Thank you,

Justin

been in pretty close contact with the guys at Allen....I am either going to pull the trigger on their Xa Rod and Alpha reel or buy a discontinued Scott A3 7' 3w.....that is where I am at right at the moment....

what I meant to say was buy the Allen Rod and Reel for the same price as the Scott A3 discontinued price on the TCO website....or just buy the Scott Rod and most likely put an Allen Alpha on it.

Back