2nd Annual Sandy Hook Jam 11-11-12 Be Ready

Own rod and reel (thanks Bob), both have performed well for me on the SR. The reel is bulletproof.

FYI the bay is about to break open. Was down last Sunday and the bait was thick. Peanuts and silversides ( or something else small) We caught some weak's and fluke, saw some small bluefish blitzs. There are reports from some fairly reputable kayakers of double digit blues and numbers of albies. Hopefully they stay inshore....

Over Sat. Croakers and Kings most of the day , scattering of snapper blues. at dusk blues !!! Nice angery Blues. Saw silver sides some peanuts.
Time to get a 10 wt awake !!!!

wetflyguy wrote:
Over Sat. Croakers and Kings most of the day , scattering of snapper blues. at dusk blues !!! Nice angery Blues. Saw silver sides some peanuts.
Time to get a 10 wt awake !!!!

All on the fly ?

Yep - starting to hear buzz about the beach in Jersey and up through New England. Baitfish are moving. Hopefully the fall run this year will be a repeat of last year's, which was one of the best in memory along the NJ shore. My timing wasn't good in my two trips to the beach in 2011 but, overall, it was as good as it gets for the surf and FF crowd.

Was just passing sandy hook and stoped to check it out. The bay is loaded with bait. Looked to be a mix of rain bait and peanuts. Saw one guy slamming 12 to 18 in blues one every cast. Water is still really warm. I'm guessing this is gonna be a run like last year. Mostly a November game but it was a great November at that. I think the last day I fished down the shore last fall was all the way into December 31 and was still catching. Mostly small fish. Fall is upon us.

No grandson was using spinning gear with fishbites (bloodworm)
pieces on small hooks. Me 8wt with little clousers and a white dropper
wind was tough for the fly rod

going to the cape for a few days around oct 10th, should hit em good..

Well the New Colton Fly rods are out . They are called the XS series I can't wait to try them out .

http://www.coltonfly.com/tradewinds-xs.php

What motel is everyone staying at for Friday night?

I'm staying at the Fairbanks again

you guys going over Friday night & staying till Sunday?
Fishing the Hook both days?

wetflyguy wrote:
you guys going over Friday night & staying till Sunday?
Fishing the Hook both days?

That is my plan so far but I will be staying till tues .

I'm still working on my schedule.

Getting ready tying up my BMGS...... Two weeks to go :-D

photo-2.jpg

If somehow I can pull this together, would anybody be willing to take me under their wing and provide me some stuff to borrow? Basket,flies anything else I might need? Got a rod, reel, and line.

Beck pm me !!
tying up some more stuff now, funny already have enough but still working on it.
will be at jam saturday ,sunday

Planning to arrive Sunday morning and stay until Monday afternoon or evening. (Nice fly Fred)

SBecker wrote:
If somehow I can pull this together, would anybody be willing to take me under their wing and provide me some stuff to borrow? Basket,flies anything else I might need? Got a rod, reel, and line.

If you can't find a striping basket to borrow, head to the dollar store and get a dish washing tub. Drill two holes and add a bungee as a "belt". Add some real stiff mono "fingers" to the bottom (80-100lb mono or weed eater string). Drill about 12 small holes in the bottom and feed it up through. tie a knot in the end so it doesn't pull through and add some super glue to hold it. Total cost if you have a weedeater and something to make a "belt" $1.

SBecker wrote:
If somehow I can pull this together, would anybody be willing to take me under their wing and provide me some stuff to borrow? Basket,flies anything else I might need?

I'd be happy to help out.
If you've got a rod and waders you can put together a stripping basket based on ebroesicke' instructions above. I've got plenty of flies. You can tie up some too as there's plenty of time and salt flies are very easy to tie. Tag along with me and I'll show you the salt ropes. I'll be there Sat and Sunday.

Back