2015 PAFF Carpin' Jam - Saturday, July 18th - 7am at Rebers Bridge parking lot

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
Just one more. Should we bring lunch?

I really don't know exactly how long the whole event will last. There are a lot of unknown variables that will dictate that. To be safe, I would recommend bringing along some lunch. I will be bringing a large cooler with ice and drinks (bottled water, soda, Gatorade etc.) that anyone is welcome to help themselves to at any time or take a drink along when we go out to find some carp.

GRP wrote:
Any suggestions on flies? I want to tie up some new flies for this, but want to make sure I'm not off-point with what I tie.

GRP, refer to post #15 on page 1 of this thread. It refers back to our Carp Fly Swap (Fly Tying Forum) that was held here on PAFF this winter hosted by jay348. The guys in the swap put some really good ties up and they have really been producing.

Also, you really can't go wrong with some type of a crayfish pattern in an olive or rust color. The Tully has plenty of crayfish in it and carp love crayfish.

Thanks! I will be there.

GRP wrote:
Any suggestions on flies? I want to tie up some new flies for this, but want to make sure I'm not off-point with what I tie.

Yinz guys might want to pack some tricos for this event.
I fished that same area early one morning - and found a great spinner fall of the little flies, and lots of carp sucking them down.

dryflyguy wrote:
Yinz guys might want to pack some tricos for this event.
I fished that same area early one morning - and found a great spinner fall of the little flies, and lots of carp sucking them down.

dryflyguy,

That would be cool to see someone get into a carp on top on a trico spinner. I will definitely have some with me and I have already tried for a carp on tricos. However, I have never hooked up with a carp on one of those little flies. I tie most of my trico spinners on size 20 or 22 curved shank hooks. I'm thinking it would be best to drop down to a smaller tippet (maybe 2X or 3X) for the most part just to get through the eye of the hook. I am also a bit skeptical about the strength of a small hook like these against the sheer weight and power of a good carp. Like I said, I don't have any experience in actually battling with a carp on a trico but the small hooks may work just fine. Either way, it would be a heck of a lot of fun!

dc410-

That was the first time I had ever fished the Tully.
And was quite surprised to find all those carp rising to flies.
I did catch 3-4 of them on #22 spinners - although none of them were brutes.
And the hooks held up (they weren't light wire)

After a while, I realized that all of the fish in that slow water section were carp - and I moved downstream to some faster water. Where I did manage to catch a few trout before the spinner fall was over.

dryflyguy,

Thanks for the heads up on the trico spinners. I tie a snoeshoe hair trico spinner with dun colored bunny hair on a size 22 curved shank hook. I will definitely tie a few more up and have some in my carp box for the jam. If conditions are decent we may possibly catch the tail end of a spinnerfall or even catch a few carp still sucking in spent spinners in some of the eddy areas where the dead spinners get hung up. Thanks again for the info.

Ok guys. After a month of talking about the upcoming carpin' jam it is time to get serious. Cody and myself will be facilitating the jam, but I would like to get confirmation (at least as close as possible) on who is actually planning on attending. Depending on the number of folks attending we may have to split up to cover completely different sections of creek, which is OK. We will have some options available. Please respond back on this thread with confirmation if you are planning on coming. We have had nine forum members who have showed serious interest and two members who were questionable since I started the thread. Please try to let us know so we can plan accordingly. I may fire out some PM's if I don't hear back from you. Hopin' for good water conditions. This should be a lot of fun!

This sounds like fun, I'm in.
What size carp are in the tully?
Bart

I'm definitely in.

Looks good for me (don't know if I'll make the early link up time).

Bart wrote:
This sounds like fun, I'm in.
What size carp are in the tully?
Bart

Every size and shape including some big 'uns.

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I have added Bart, GRP and Fishidiot to the confirmed roster of the PAFF WWI - BWD (warmwater insurgents - brown water division).

In. Can't wait. Haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but iin...

Volksnurse wrote:
In. Can't wait. Haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but iin...

Awesome. Don't worry about the details, Volks we'll try to get you into one. It's a pretty simple concept. Sneak up on 'em and try to entice the big rubber-lipped fish to suck in your fly. Set the hook and hang on and have fun! I'll add you to the list.

Carpin' Jam Roster

dc410
codym21
Bart
GRP
Fishidiot
fritz
Volksnurse

I'm in for sure too. I was on vacation this past week. I would have answered sooner

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
I'm in for sure too. I was on vacation this past week. I would have answered sooner

No problem. Thanks for getting back and confirming. I'll get you on the next updated roster.

Carpin' Jam Roster

dc410
codym21
Bart
GRP
Fishidiot
fritz
Volksnurse
Wildbrowntrout

Back