2015 North Central PA Jam 9/11-9/13

no beer, don't you guys read the OT section? beer is unsafe at fishing events!!
:pint:

forcast seems to push the rain till Thursday, and only a chance of showers at that. man, I hope we get some rain and it cools down! we might have to go bass fishing.
just checked the stream gauges, lots of green dots, indicating close to normal, so maybe not so bad?

Not so bad. Last Fall seemed dryer. And I've fished some VERY low Octobers up there.

at least we won't have snow!

its very low here.
never seen it this bad !!!

List of bait flies for pine right now;
there are only caenis right now and nothing feeding on them
hellgrammites 3-4", crawfish 1-2", Darters (not sculpins) 1", they are light in color. olive/silver/white minnows 1-3", chubs 1" not seeing or catching any larger ones (sasquatchy), a few stone cats 2-3" long (light olive to olive brownish). \not seeing any caddis or mayflies or stones hatching/flying. if fishing near fields or high grass a hopper can work for surface 1" long yellow or green in color

Kettle is at average flow for this time of the year at Cross Forks.
Pine is lower than average for this time of year at Cedar Run (running at around 80cfs when the average is 100)
Young Woman's Creek at Renovo is above average for this time of year.
First Fork Sinnamahoning is below average by about 20cfs for this time of year.

As of the fishing report on 8/24 from Slate Run Tackle, "Trout fishing on Pine is excellent"

I know that was a week ago. We've had some hot ones, but cooler weather is rollin' in next week. So yes, it's low, but we'll find fishable water and trout.

pine is to warm and way to low for trout !
sas, I've been on pine almost every day this past week for bass and its not good for trout right now. I don't know why slate is posting its all good even slate and cedar are low with the lower reaches getting on the warm side. its been brutal here for trout the last 3 weeks.

on another note even the small streams are getting close to 70. Asaph and straight are at 68 degrees and low. dry at the bottoms too

While the levels of these streams may be somewhat close to average flows for this time of year it's the water temps that really matter.

Kettle has been reaching into the high 70's and that's way too warm to fish for trout. Pine at Waterville has been down to above 74 at it's coolest. Subtract about 2 degrees to get what the temps are in the Slate Run area and there's no way anyone who knows anything about trout could ethically make the statement that (trout) fishing is excellent. Of course, if someone is of the "kill 'em & grill 'em" mentality...well, you know where I'm going with this.

The forecast is for some rain and significantly cooler temps by mid-week. That could very well mean acceptable fishing conditions for trout on most streams. I don't see Pine cooling enough to bring the water temp down to comfortable levels for trout.

Well like I said, that stream report was from 8/24. Obviously things have changed a bit.

We don't usually fish the big waters. We did in the Spring because the small streams were too cold for much action. But we really focus on smaller streams. I just threw up the USGS reports for whatever streams were in the area to give people a good idea of the overall water levels up there, not necessarily to say, "These are the streams we're going to fish".

But you're right, Lefty. The weather for the 2nd half of this week is quite favorable for us!

Plenty of beds left...

Yo Moosehead_Belle,
Did you get my PM? You still planning on comin'?

I'm leaving Wed. PM so please, if you need directions/info, etc. contact me BEFORE NOON ON WED.

Thanks
Andy

Andy,
PM sent, looking forward to super weekend.
MB

Making a shopping list for breakfast, I'm figuring on 10-15 people. breakfast fri and sat, leftovers on sunday as we clean up.
looking forward to some cooler temps, I've had enough of this summer crap. As usual, most likely sleeping in the truck outside with the bears.
I'll be there sometime thurs evening.

OldLefty wrote:
While the levels of these streams may be somewhat close to average flows for this time of year it's the water temps that really matter.

Kettle has been reaching into the high 70's and that's way too warm to fish for trout. Pine at Waterville has been down to above 74 at it's coolest. Subtract about 2 degrees to get what the temps are in the Slate Run area and there's no way anyone who knows anything about trout could ethically make the statement that (trout) fishing is excellent. Of course, if someone is of the "kill 'em & grill 'em" mentality...well, you know where I'm going with this.

The forecast is for some rain and significantly cooler temps by mid-week. That could very well mean acceptable fishing conditions for trout on most streams. I don't see Pine cooling enough to bring the water temp down to comfortable levels for trout.

Here is the trout fishing report for NC Pa posted on the FBC site from Sept 2nd:

Tioga / Lycoming County

Pine Creek – With water levels staying fairly stable and temperatures in the mid-60s Pine Creek fishing is on fire!! Anglers are catching trout on a variety of flies (e.g. Slate drakes, yellow sallys, yellow cahills, Blue wing olives, stoneflies and yellow midges). Rusty spinners are working well too! Try a dry-dropper set-up. Place a nymph (dropper) below your dry fly (e.g. Length below dry fly = about 1 ½ times the depth of the water you are fishing). Use a yellow emerger under your dry fly and see what happens.

:roll:

Let's see, yesterday Kettle was 78, Pine was 80, Young Woman's was 68. Even Straight Run near Sandfly's place was 68. Great report by the PFBC.

I was in the Slate Run shop a couple weeks ago before this hot spell and was told the trout were all stacked up at the mouths of the feeders. I didn't see any fishermen thankfully.

I guess headwater streams are okay temp wise, but I was driving around this weekend and streams are terribly low, despite being near average flows. Unfortunately at this time of year average flows are low low low.

This weekend is supposed to be cooler and I hope we get some rain Thursday like they are predicting.

salvelinus wrote:
Let's see, yesterday Kettle was 78, Pine was 80, Young Woman's was 68. Even Straight Run near Sandfly's place was 68. Great report by the PFBC.

I was in the Slate Run shop a couple weeks ago before this hot spell and was told the trout were all stacked up at the mouths of the feeders. I didn't see any fishermen thankfully.

I guess headwater streams are okay temp wise, but I was driving around this weekend and streams are terribly low, despite being near average flows. Unfortunately at this time of year average flows are low low low.

This weekend is supposed to be cooler and I hope we get some rain Thursday like they are predicting.

I took a temperature reading on Kettle at Ole Bull SP below the dam of 70 degrees Saturday afternoon and upstream of the dam of 68 degrees. Based on the current temps of the USGS gauge at Cross Fork and my experiences about ten years ago in late August on Little Kettle and Kettle at the confluence with Little Kettle, I was expecting to see much higher temperatures. But Saturday was a cloudier day and I think that is reflected in the USGS gauge reading for the day. The trout that I saw were active and not in hunker-down survival mode, although I traversed only about a mile or so of creek, which had no feeder creeks flowing into it. The trout were in the more oxygenated water of the riffles.

There were a few dozen trout spread throughout that, and many dozen more stacked up in the concrete pen below the dam, taking advantage of the DO created by the fish ladder. Or maybe they can read and saw the Fishing Prohibited signs. Or maybe they thought they had finally found another hatchery to live in :) Unless they refreshed the Childrens' Section for Labor Day, the trout present have survived since at least Memorial day.

Not surprisingly, the trout were most active feeding late afternoon into the evening, and I can attest that they were still actively feeding at 3:30AM in one stretch of open water, although I could never figure out what was hatching, day or night.

salmonoid wrote:
Or maybe they can read and saw the Fishing Prohibited signs.

Did you get an ID on the species of those Trout? My understanding and experiences to date was that only Browns could read.

All three common PA Trout species can see yellow "No Trespassing" signs and know what they are just from the color though. Trout in the Poconos are especially adept at this.

When is everyone planning on arriving? I know that Afish and Moosehead_Belle are arriving tomorrow AM and will be fishing all day. Skybay just PMed me and said he can get off Friday now. Anyone else going to be there all day on Friday for fishing?

We'll be there some time early Friday am. Going to try to get there before everyone leaves for the day, but not sure how it's going to work out yet.

Yo Sas

Won't get there till Friday afternoon. What logistics do I need to do? I have a few pounds of scrapple that ought to be put in a fridge. Are there likely ffishable spots nearby? I have never even seen that neck of the woods.

Back