Your Local Stream Temps

71.8F in my cubicle at 7:58 AM.

Water temp in the office water/ice machine - 39.2F at 7:56 AM.

74 in my swimming pool the other day. Streams should be in good shape.

troutbert wrote:
bearfisherman wrote:
Clarion River near Belltown - 67° with an air temp of 70°. Several tribs ranged from 60° to 74°. Trout and smb were actively feeding in various locations.

Which trib was 74F?

It's interesting to know what is causing a stream to be 74F with an air temp of 70F. Is there an impoundment on it?

Spring Creek about a mile up from the mouth. I blame it on low flows and a larger, more open watershed allowing more direct sunlight to reach the stream. I was shocked how warm it was.

Every trib that creates spring creek comes from a beaver pond, so yes, it can get very warm since all its headwaters bake in the open sun.

bearfisherman wrote:
troutbert wrote:
bearfisherman wrote:
Clarion River near Belltown - 67° with an air temp of 70°. Several tribs ranged from 60° to 74°. Trout and smb were actively feeding in various locations.

Which trib was 74F?

It's interesting to know what is causing a stream to be 74F with an air temp of 70F. Is there an impoundment on it?

Spring Creek about a mile up from the mouth. I blame it on low flows and a larger, more open watershed allowing more direct sunlight to reach the stream. I was shocked how warm it was.

Thanks for the info. And I agree that much of Spring Creek and its tribs are open to the sun.

I am not familiar at all with a creek named Spring that feeds the Clarion, but those temps don't sound great.

Also...... great info Swattie! Lol

jifigz wrote:
I am not familiar at all with a creek named Spring that feeds the Clarion, but those temps don't sound great.

Mouth is at Hallton, PA. Pretty decent size creek, but that temp is definitely disappointing.

salmonoid wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Mouth is at Hallton, PA. Pretty decent size creek, but that temp is definitely disappointing.

Pretty disappointing when the trib was warmer than the river.

Spring Cr, Centre Cty, at Fishermans Paradise. Today at 5:15 pm.

Air 84F

Water 66F

Cold Run in Schuylkill County was at 64 degrees at 4 PM today.

The Juniata right down in front of my house only registered in at 70 degrees yesterday evening. It is still pushing lots of water but is on the clear side and I don't think I can remember flows consistently this high. I didn't see any other angler catch a fish and I heard one boat say how lousy the fishing was as they were motoring back up to quit for the evening. I landed about 10 fish total between smallies, fallfish, and redbreasts but I agree it took some work to bring fish to hand.

salmonoid wrote:
jifigz wrote:

It's been many years since I fished that Spring creek, I agree it is disappointing, but not at all surprising.

It's a large put and take. No reproduction to speak of.

I always wondered how it got it's name.

Beautiful stream though, with good hatches in the stretch in question.

Yellow Breeches is in excellent shape with the best flows I have seen in August in a long time.

Water temp at Boiling Springs today just above the confluence with The Run was 65 degrees at 6pm. Temp in The Run was 58.

Juniata River this morning was at 74°. Flows are still way up for this time of year and little stained. Fishing kind of sucked. Fished with a forum member here and we managed some smaller bass, a fallfish, and a few redbreasts. I wish the river was lower and clearer.

I've never laid eyes on the Breeches. Is it worth traveling to or should I just concentrate on my local waters? If I travel anywhere it is Penns, Spring, or the Little J because they are much closer. Maybe for historical sake I should make it down to the Breeches sometime.

jifigz wrote:
Juniata River this morning was at 74°. Flows are still way up for this time of year and little stained. Fishing kind of sucked. Fished with a forum member here and we managed some smaller bass, a fallfish, and a few redbreasts. I wish the river was lower and clearer.

I've never laid eyes on the Breeches. Is it worth traveling to or should I just concentrate on my local waters? If I travel anywhere it is Penns, Spring, or the Little J because they are much closer. Maybe for historical sake I should make it down to the Breeches sometime.

Best to stay where you're at.... :lol:

Although you do have the Letort and Big Spring back that way. It would be worthwhile to make an off-season trip to wet a line sometime.

Thanks for the J report. Hopefully all the big rivers will drop and clear soon.

Otter Creek (York County) was 68 degrees Thursday evening. Not surprisingly, the majority of the action was smallmouths, but there are still some stockers hanging on. My brother and I picked up one trout a piece; his was a stocker brown, and mine was a bit of a surprise - a char. The one rainbow I hooked for a second all but rolled over when he spit the fly.

afishinado wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Best to stay where you're at.... :lol:

Although you do have the Letort and Big Spring back that way. It would be worthwhile to make an off-season trip to wet a line sometime.

Thanks for the J report. Hopefully all the big rivers will drop and clear soon.

2 inches of rain here last night and the river is up quite a bit and muddy. Raining cats and dogs again right now. It might be all sorts of blown out for the WW Jam which would be depressing.

Meadow Run was 63 this morning at 7am

Laurel Hill Creek upper delayed harvest area was 66 degrees at noon today, above Buck Run

Wow thats great for Laurel Hill. I was there last week of august last year and the water was 74 degrees. I saw a few dozen trout just barely hanging on to life with glazed over eyes. Thats probably the worst "trout stream" in the area for thermal issues. Theres practically no current or riffles in the DHALO section which flows out the top of a super low water impoundment that has a series of beaver dams extending a few miles further upstream.

Back