Your Local Stream Temps

Tipton Run above reservoir 56 degrees yesterday.

Found some interesting temps on a small limestone stream not far from there. Lower section was 67, and I did not even see a trout. Middle section was 61. A few hundred yards upstream there was less flow and the temp went back up to 64. So now I know there is a large spring somewhere in between (short stretch of private property that I had to skip around). Caught a few nice browns in the middle and upper parts.

On dissolved oxygen... I bought the test kit linked in post 24 this thread... not bad to use on its first trip out... a small steep brookie stream had good oxygen levels at an iffy-sounding temp of 65, probably due to the water velocity and churn.

I wouldn't assume that the issue with warmer water temps is solely dissolved oxygen levels.

I think it also has to do with physiology changes with the fish with rising temps.

Honey Creek at Reeds Gap SP on July 29 = 62 F @ 5 pm. Air temp was 75 F. Water flow fairly high but clear after the rain on July 28.

Conococheague just above Chambersburg today: 68 degrees at mid-afternoon.

White Clay Cr. middle Branch DHALO Keystone Select July 26 2017 at Good Hope Rd. = 70 F at noon. Air temp 73 F.

Troutbert. yes I recall reading that warmer water has direct effects on trout beyond its connection to dissolved oxygen. Still was interesting to see that the dissolved oxygen was pretty high today at 65 degrees, but of course it was a small fast tumbling stream. I will still be conservative about fishing even if the dissolved oxygen looks ok, but in the past I might have quit on the stream I fished today once the water got near 65.

troutbert wrote:
I wouldn't assume that the issue with warmer water temps is solely dissolved oxygen levels.

I think it also has to do with physiology changes with the fish with rising temps.

That is a great question/point, anyone have any details on this?

Jfigz- I sent you a PM :)

Dunbar FFO-WT was 61 and air temp was 56 at 7am.

White Clay Cr. middle Branch DHALO @ Good Hope Rd on August 1 2017 was 68 F at 10am. Air temp was 80 F. Water low and clear.

In warmer waters, the trout's metabolism starts to go in to overdrive. The fish become very easy to catch because they have to be constantly feeding because they're burning so many calories. Trout are cold blooded. The temperature of the water they are in has a huge effect on all their biological functions.

Deleted

58 degrees today on a local brook trout stream. Air temp was 80ish around 12:00.

Big Spring was cold enough to make my legs red when I wet waded today and then When I got out they were itchy and felt like they were melting as they warmed.

Didn't take s temp because I didn't need to.

some nice charts of temp & dissolved oxygen for streams here:

https://tn.gov/assets/entities/environment/attachments/doregion11.pdf

for ex, around page 58 of original, they discuss how steep gradients and rockier stream floors act in combination with water temps and velocity to shape dissolved oxygen.

makes sense that I have seen good dissolved oxygen on a steep, rocky trib w/ some little waterfalls at 65F. but as other have noted, there may be reasons beyond oxygen levels to stop brookie fishing at temps over 65. so while I might feel better about fishing to 65F on such streams I wont go past it (often don't have to in the early am anyhow).

I have seen lower dissolved oxygen (4-5) on my local warm water stream, but it was higher temp, slower, etc.

image below is a trib w/ some good conditions for oxygen: steep, rocky, falls... even with some shade loss due to hemlock loss, the oxygen might be good for trout.

Attachments

• DSCN0881.JPG
    DSCN0881.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
Strodes Run: 68° in 88° air temperature
Kish in Burnham: 68° in 88° air temperature
Kish in Reedsville: 70° in 85° air temperature
Honey Creek at Bender Park: 67° in 85° air temperature

I find it fascinating that somehow Kish was 70° just a short distance below where Tea and Honey cone in. I guarantee Tea is in the 50's. I checked all temps from shore as I was not fishing or getting wet so the temps may have been better out in the main flows.

All of the above mentioned streams have good populations of wild browns and these temperatures certainly won't affect their survival but they are definitely warmer than I'd like to see them for fishing for trout and the safety of the fish.

jifigz wrote:
Strodes Run: 68° in 88° air temperature
Kish in Burnham: 68° in 88° air temperature
Kish in Reedsville: 70° in 85° air temperature
Honey Creek at Bender Park: 67° in 85° air temperature

I find it fascinating that somehow Kish was 70° just a short distance below where Tea and Honey cone in. I guarantee Tea is in the 50's. I checked all temps from shore as I was not fishing or getting wet so the temps may have been better out in the main flows.

Good info. We need more trees shading the creeks.

I fished below Conemaugh Dam outflow for SMB this morning. I was wet wading and was surprised at how cool it felt. I did not have my thermometer with me, but when I went home I checked the USGS and it's releasing at 72 degrees! That's crazy. Anyone that knows that place knows it's normally bath water in August. For comparison, I saw it releasing in the mid 80's when I checked the gauge before going catfishing last summer. It's probably in better thermal shape than 3/4 of the trout streams in the area lol.

Back