Your Local Stream Temps

Well, here's one of my foul-ups from this year. I've been using an old water thermometer that I thought read 4-6 degrees too low, so I added 6 degrees to all my readings this year in my journal. Recently, I bought a new one and compared it to the old one. The new one read TEN degrees higher. Fortunately, I had not fished in water where the old one actually read over 60 degrees, so I didn't fish in water that was really too warm for c/r fishing more than two or three times -- which is still 2 or 3X too many. Anyhow, here I am, one who "preaches" to know the water temperature, and I really did not. I'm thinking I ought to buy a new thermometer every year. (I now buy one about every 2 or 3 years when I lose one.)

Anyhow, I guess I certainly had/have no right to be so sanctimonious about my own fishing w/ regard to water temps.

8/4/17 Juniata River was a perfect 78° at about 7 am. Water was up a bit and stained but a clouser and a bugger managed some redbreasts and smallmouths.

Is there any chance that someone on here could take a water temp on Lower Swatara Creek today? Curious if it will be above or below 80 tomorrow

Sunday, July 30

Oil Creek DHALO.
Very low water levels
600ish am
Air temp: 68 degrees
Water temp 64 degrees

Leaving the water
900ish
Air temp 72 degrees
Water temp 68 degrees

I was pleasantly surprised 1) trout were actively feeding before dawn and a few hours of low light, 2) how quickly it shuts off. Before planning on fishing, I was very concerned the water would be too hot to fish. Very conscientious and checked temps at least four times.

A medium sized freestone stream near the corner of PA,MD and WV was at 58.3 degrees at 6:30am. Fished very nicely until I quit at noon. Temp at noon was just under 59

Please ignore, nevermind. It's getting hammered by heavy rain and won't be fishable tomorrow anyway.

Is there any chance that someone on here could take a water temp on Lower Swatara Creek today? Curious if it will be above or below 80 tomorrow

64 degrees on the Yough a few miles above Ohiopyle. Chocolate milk still, but white streamers pulled a few trout from near the banks.

Left Branch Young Woman's Creek - Clinton County - 8/5/17 12:00 PM - 60F

Really cool today in sepa with rain last night! Suppose to be a cool week!

Valley Creek, Chester County, 8/05/17

69F at 6 and 8PM.

Meadow Run-62 degrees at 6am today.Gotta love these cold nights.

Very true^ felt like fall today

My favorite brookie stream a little ways up into the mtns at 6 pm was 64°. I actually had two buddies along and gave fishing a whirl. Landed one brookie about 1 inch long, spooked two decent 7 inchers, and otherwise the stream seemed lifeless. I've never seen it line that before. Usually any dry fly draws a strike. It seemed like there were no fish. I wonder if they migrated further upstream? Even with lots of recent rains the stream was very low.

Juniata River above Duncannon - 76 degrees at 10 am Saturday. Fishing was consistently good throughout the day though I wouldn't say great.

A favorite brown trout stream of mine which shall remain nameless read an even 64 degrees for an entire mile and a half stretch from 5 pm until roughly 9 pm yesterday.. I fished and nice browns were eager to eat.

Clarion River near Belltown - 67° with an air temp of 70°. Several tribs ranged from 60° to 74°. Trout and smb were actively feeding in various locations.

At 6 am the air temperature here is a crisp 53°! For August that is absolutely amazing. These cooler temps are doing wonders for our trout waters this year. Talk about a change from last year!

bearfisherman wrote:
Clarion River near Belltown - 67° with an air temp of 70°. Several tribs ranged from 60° to 74°. Trout and smb were actively feeding in various locations.

Which trib was 74F?

It's interesting to know what is causing a stream to be 74F with an air temp of 70F. Is there an impoundment on it?

troutbert wrote:
bearfisherman wrote:

Which trib was 74F?

It's interesting to know what is causing a stream to be 74F with an air temp of 70F. Is there an impoundment on it?

Thermometers calibrated by Michael Mann? :roll:

Back