Your Local Stream Temps

Pine Creek in SGL 315 Berks County was 65 today at 1:30 pm. No trout observed in the area I fished.

Kish in Yeagertown at about 7 pm was 67° and flowing great. Honestly the large rocks and boulders and powerful riffles made wading difficult. The water wasn't stained or muddy but had a nice green hue to it. Me and a friend only landed one left over rainbow stockie each. I missed two other fish and he lost one.

I am continually surprised between the lack of difference in temperature between this year and last on Kish. It makes me question my thermometer.

jifigz wrote:
I am continually surprised between the lack of difference in temperature between this year and last on Kish. It makes me question my thermometer.

I'd trust your thermometer. I think it largely points to the degree of limestone water that's present in its watershed tempering things.

It doesn't (and probably shouldn't) get the recognition the PA Big 4 (Spring/Penns/LJR/BFC) get, but it's not that far off from them honestly. If there was a second tier of bigger PA limestoners, I'd put Kish in it...This grouping would include streams like Honey, Yellow, Bald Eagle, etc in my mind.

Good head of fish, would be better if they stopped the stocking and the "Round up Your Trout" rodeos it sees. Decent bugs, not great by limestoner standards, but enough to get em' looking up.

Fishing Creek, Frederick Co MD, 64 degrees in the headwaters at 4 pm Saturday. Popular native brookie stream that is also stocked heavily. I caught a half dozen natives in less than an hour before a storm chased me out.

I tried fishing a different brookie stream (which shall remain nameless) in that region earlier the same day and the water temp was 68, I took a few casts in the best pools, no takers so I left. That one is more flat and open to the sun in the headwaters. In years past before I bought a thermometer, I probably would have fished there all day and wondered why it was so slow.

I couldn't agree more Swattie. Kish certainly has a great population of browns and it would no doubt improve if stocking were ceased. I also agree that it wouldn't be quite as good as the Big 4 but it certainly wouldn't be far behind in terms of a quality wild trout fishery. There is ample limestone influence from Frog Hollow, Coffee, and Tea as well as the springs that feed upper Kish to start the stream but those are all miles upstream from where I was. Either way I love that stream and will always be a huge proponent to help protect it and improve its brown trout populations. I'll be heading to another stream today after work to see what I can wrangle up.

I just wish the Juniata was fishable......

Literally perfect conditions yesterday on my favorite mountain freestone brookie stream. Water temp was 59F @ 7:30AM and 60F @ 1:30PM, when I left. This creek had really nice volume considering it's the middle of August, all the showers/storms have done the streams well.

I guess since it was my B-Day, the Lord had to treat me. I managed 15 legal natives, with many dinks. I had four natives @ 9"+, and one wopper @ 11.5"!! That was one of my better days for natives in quite some time. I also caught 2 wild browns, which is unheard of on this stream.

Edit: The native show is obviously not the 11.5", it slipped out of my hand before I could take the pic!!!! Yea, I know. :lol:
Edit#2: If you recognize the stream from the pic, please don't announce it.

Attachments

• IMG_3293 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3293 (Custom).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3301 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3301 (Custom).JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3295 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3295 (Custom).JPG
    110 KB · Views: 3
A favorite wild brown trout water of mine came in at 68° this evening at about 5 or 5:30. I fished and fish were eager to eat streamers. All swam away healthy but one that was hooked deep and bleeding from a gill. I felt terrible about it and having had my fish fix left. The trout were very aggressive here, much more so than Kish the night before.

I'm ready for September and October when temps should start dropping back down a bit.

Today, in a light drizzle and high 60s air temp, the Heritage section of the Lil Lehigh was 57°. Water was a nice level (84.3 cfs) and colored a little from the recent rains. Only a few Tricos, enough to motivate the birds, but not the trouts. A few of the recent escapees were preoccupied with agonistic and spawning activities.

Tipton Run was 63° about a half mile below the reservoir. The water was a little skinny but still certainly fishable. I managed 4 nice browns to go with 5 dink brookies. Everything taken on top with #14 Chartreuse Green Stimy.

I take temperatures nearly every time I go out on a trout stream. I say nearly because I know streams that don't go above 60 during the heat of summer and I have gotten to know when a stream is above that temperature.
I also have years of temperature data for Perkiomen Creek and it's tributaries. Several years with a stream thermometer and a couple of years with a thermograph. Here's what I found. The entire watershed above Green Lane Reservoir is at about 60 degrees at 6:00 in the morning. The highest temperatures are about 6:30 in the evening. A stream that is 60 in the early morning can rise to 80 by evening.
Perkiomen Creek being a good example of the wise range of temperatures should only be fished during the early morning in the summer, and on morning where the overnight temps are above 70 not to be fished at all for trout. the sections we are talking above are also home to smallies, but it must be kept in mind that trout and smallies have different tolerances to higher temperatures.
I've been at Big Spring when the afternoon temperature was 95 degrees and the water in the ditch is in the mid fifties, but downstream it does warm up, it was 72 degrees at the dam in Newville. I know a spring creek in Berks County that is colder during the summer than in the winter. The summer temp was 51 and the winter temp 54. Trout tolerate temps above 70 degrees, but it's just not good to be catching them above that temperature. I'd post the data that I have but I doubt it would be readable.

Greenlick Run, Clinton County, 59 degrees around noon today. Air temp in the mid 60's.

Elk Creek-Centre County. 64 degrees with air temp of 72. Nice hatch of Blue Quills to go with some tan caddis and trikes. Water is low in spite of recent storms, but the fish are looking up and appear to be in great shape.

Would be great to be out to check a stream temp.

Fished Little Lehigh today and got a temp of 64F at 11:30AM and 67F at 2:00PM.

Back