A reliable knot for poor vision and unsteady hands: the Quick Penny Knot

Kms

Kms

I’ve never had the steadiest hands, and consequently I spend waaaaay too much time tying knots. Yesterday I stumbled across the Quick Penny Knot - which appears in exactly zero of the four knot apps I had on my phone 😑 - and was blown away.

For me the best thing about the Quick Penny Knot is that after you get the tippet through the eye, you never let go of it again. Check it out.

(Also, though it’s very strong, it’s definitely not 100% breaking strength, despite the claim in the video.)

Last edited:
Looks a lot like the way I tie a pitzen (aka 16-20) knot with foreceps which has been a fav for a while. Plenty strong and so fast.

Looks a lot like the way I tie a pitzen (aka 16-20) knot with foreceps which has been a fav for a while. Plenty strong and so fast.
I didn’t know the pitzen (had to look it up), that looks like it still involves wrapping the tag end many times. For the quick penny knot there’s no wrapping or inserting the tag end, just two wraps and pull.

Nope no tag end wrapping annoyance. People complain that it wastes too much tippet but I've found you can make the loop pretty small and end up with only about a 1/2" of waste. The click is the key:

Reactions: Kms
You’re right discomidge, it seems *exactly* like the 16/20 knot, except using fingers instead of a hemostat, and most descriptions I’ve seen call for two wraps instead of three (though I do three).

I just made this video to show how easy it is.

Last edited:
I get that it’s wasteful, but I’d much rather waste tippet than time. I simply cannot tie fine tippet (or any line, really, as the video shows) quickly.

Nope no tag end wrapping annoyance. People complain that it wastes too much tippet but I've found you can make the loop pretty small and end up with only about a 1/2" of waste. The click is the key:
So I tried it with a hemostat and found that more challenging. Also, while using the hemostat I had to look at what i was doing, but with my fingers I can go by feel alone.

You’re right discomidge, it seems *exactly* like the 16/20 knot, except using fingers instead of a hemostat, and most descriptions I’ve seen call for two wraps instead of three (though I do three).
I really wanted to use a pitzen after watching the videos for my Knot Kneedle and trying it out. Thankfully, my hands aren't so arthritic and vision so bad (yet) that I can still tie a Davy knot with or without any mechanical help. I'll stick with that one for now since it's easiest for me and doesn't come undone if I do it right.
Regardless of how easy or non-wasteful a knot may be, practicing beforehand is still important.

Reactions: Kms
I really wanted to use a pitzen after watching the videos for my Knot Kneedle and trying it out. Thankfully, my hands aren't so arthritic and vision so bad (yet) that I can still tie a Davy knot with or without any mechanical help. I'll stick with that one for now since it's easiest for me and doesn't come undone if I do it right.
Regardless of how easy or non-wasteful a knot may be, practicing beforehand is still important.
The best knot is the one you can tie comfortably. 👍

The best knot is the one you can tie comfortably. 👍
Okay, since you mention it, I'll be "that guy". Instead of using a more intricate, involved knot to tie on my flies, I use the most basic, simple knot known to man, the half hitch. I tie two of them to secure my flies, and even three if there's a chance for bigger fish, depending on the stream. I have had zero issues with this knot coming undone if I make sure it's nice and snug. I'm a firm believer in KISS. I wasn't even going to mention this until the previous post.

I'm a firm believer in KISS.
Quick question... Do you also half-hitch to finish a fly, or do you whip finish it? (I too like to keep things simple, but my boys tie all my flies, and I can't tell one from the other.)

Quick question... Do you also half-hitch to finish a fly, or do you whip finish it? (I too like to keep things simple, but my boys tie all my flies, and I can't tell one from the other.)
No, I don't tie my own flies. That's part of my KISS regime. ;)

Last edited:
I use the most basic, simple knot known to man, the half hitch. I tie two of them to secure my flies, and even three if there's a chance for bigger fish, depending on the stream.
Glad that works for you. For me, with fine tippet, it’s easier to tie the penny knot than two half hitch knots.

don't know if this knot has a name or not, but i go thru the eye, two turns around the standing line, overhand knot around the standing line and tag end back out the loop. moisten and hold tag end and fly when drawing it tight. quick and easy. uses almost no tippet as you can can determine the amount of tag as you tighten it. can't speak for what percentage knot strength it is, but it's never failed for me on large fish.

Last edited:
One of these on a zinger to hold my fly:

Minigrabber

Tippet through eye, a few twists of the EZ-Hook, tag through the opening in the tippet, a little spit, draw slowly to tighten and I have a 10 second (or less) clinch knot with minimal waste.

I know there are trendier and stronger knots * but it's the only knot I use to attach flies because it is so simple AND more importantly, I can tie it after a few beers or whiskey... ;)

* In regards to strength, I also tie/use blood knots which are nothing but two back-to-back clinch knots...

Back