Your 2024 Fly Fishing Ambitions

My ambitions are modest: 1) spend more time on trout streams; and 2) have more consistency in my tying.

My ambitions are modest: 1) spend more time on trout streams; and 2) have more consistency in my tying.
This is a wonderful plan, I am going to steal it myself.

Mine is more of a wish than a goal. It is to fish some water with some actual flow. All the creeks around me were lower than average for most of 2023, even in the spring. So sick of fishing in puddles!
If the current El Niño pattern holds you should definitely get your wish. I’m with you, big flows in raging rivers is where this “sport” actually becomes one. Plus it weeds out the casuals who are afraid to take a little swim once in awhile

Simple stuff:
1) Stay on the right side of the dirt
2) Fish as much as I can for whatever will take a fly

As a boy my parents used to go to New Hampshire on vacation. That is where I started to fly fish when I was about 14. I fished the Swift River and other super clear White Mountain streams. I want to go back there in late June for a week. I went back once as a young adult with my Dad. It's been at least fifty years since I was up there.

Continue to fish more new creeks and tribs in my area of Columbia County. Continue to build my fly tying knowledge and tying desk. And lastly take my 3 year old daughter out to streams where I know she’ll be able to enjoy herself and engage in memorable ways with daddy!

1. Buy my first flyrod
2. Properly cast said rod
3. Catch first trout on a fly rod, hopefully on a fly I tied.

Looking forward for the adventure!

#1 is easy. #3 is fairly easy (stocked trout especially). #2? Well, it is that "properly" part that is somewhat elusive.

But welcome to the fold!

I fished the same stretch on the North Branch Susquehanna this past summer on a couple trips in my canoe and had a blast. Caught a lot of fish and some really nice ones. Had a Northern Pike on but lost it(didn’t have wire on). This year I’d like to fish a different section each trip and earn miles towards The Susquehanna 444 club. I guess I’m gonna have to buy a New York and Maryland license.

1. Buy my first flyrod
2. Properly cast said rod
3. Catch first trout on a fly rod, hopefully on a fly I tied.

Looking forward for the adventure!
If you live near York and can deal with a cranky old man I'd be willing to help you can casting.

My ambitions are small, to fish every Class A and Blue line inmy home county, York.

Hmmm
1) Beat my PB snakehead on the fly
2) Beat my PB Bowfin on the fly
3) Catch more Stripers on the fly
4) Buy a boat to chase all these fish

I’m just looking forward to spending as much time as I can sharing experiences, memories, flies and maybe a flask with some good bourbon with good friends on the stream.

Also, I don’t have any kind of watercraft but I would love to catch my first snakehead on the fly in 2024, I honestly think I have a legitimate chance to do it.

Back