Your 2024 Fly Fishing Ambitions

I’d like to tie more flies, catch a few more wild trout, see what’s around that next bend, and help my son catch his first trout. He’s two, so it makes all the previous goals that much harder.

Why do you have to hurt me like that?
I'm definitely noticing my age when I'm trying to launch, retrieve or row.
Why is telling someone to go to the gym hurtful we are definitely in the times of the soft guy era.

Matt works harder and gets out there fishing more than anyone I know at his age.

Wait 50 years Fred, and see how much you can do in your 80's.
I was talking to Krayfish

How was the tug of the snakehead? Did it pull pretty hard? Also, did you dine on it or turn it loose?

To catch these remaining fish and have completed catching all native trout and salmon and their subspecies in the United States. There are now over 60 and most located far off and in difficult locations to get to.

As far as I know these are the fish I have remaining-

Southern Dolly Varden- WA

White River Rainbow-OR

Big Wood Rainbow- ID

Coeur d Alene Westslope Cutthroat- ID

Missouri River Westslope- MT

St Joe River Westslope-ID

North Fork Clearwater Westslope- ID

Clearwater Headwaters Westslope- ID

Clearwater Eastern Cascades Westslope- ID , WA

Salmon River Westslope- ID

and finally a

Little Kern Golden Rainbow- CA

How was the tug of the snakehead? Did it pull pretty hard? Also, did you dine on it or turn it loose?
Pic is here in Fred's thread for anyone that missed it / is interested:

Josh, I'll reply over there to not derail this thread too much.

Catch a 20+ inch wild brown. I feel like my big fish hunting skills have gotten better over the last two years, but I can’t seem to top the 19” mark. Hopefully my recent move to NCPA changes that. I would have also said to catch a foot long native but I checked that box earlier this month lol

To catch these remaining fish and have completed catching all native trout and salmon and their subspecies in the United States. There are now over 60 and most located far off and in difficult locations to get to.

White River Rainbow-OR

Big Wood Rainbow- ID

and finally a

I’ve been watching your progress on this over the years. IMO, if you accomplish this, this will be the most impressive achievement I’ve seen not only on this site, but anywhere by anybody in American Trout angling. Probably already is with the progress you’ve made to date. Really impressive, I’m rooting for you! Good luck on your endeavors this year and looking forward to the trip reports and photos.

A 12" native is a trout I would have gotten pics of, did you take any?
Not next to the tape, but I did tape the fish. 12” on the dot pretty much. I got super lucky with the house I’m renting, there is a tremendous native brookie creek in my backyard that I have about 3 miles worth of access to (thanks to my very kind neighbors). I am amazed it is not listed as class A, I’ve caught about half a dozen over 10” since I moved out here in March. Loaded with your run of the mills 5-7 inch natives as well.

Also: I really wish I could say I got this fish up top— it may or may not have been taken on the mystical green weenie

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 34
Not next to the tape, but I did tape the fish. 12” on the dot pretty much. I got super lucky with the house I’m renting, there is a tremendous native brookie creek in my backyard that I have about 3 miles worth of access to (thanks to my very kind neighbors). I am amazed it is not listed as class A, I’ve caught about half a dozen over 10” since I moved out here in March. Loaded with your run of the mills 5-7 inch natives as well.

Also: I really wish I could say I got this fish up top— it may or may not have been taken on the mystical green weenie
Very nice! I caught one of my best ever natives on a GW. I'm okay with that. ;)

Here's the native (11") I mentioned. I caught him on my very last cast of that trip! It's surprising what a difference one inch can make in the size of a trout.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I got super lucky with the house I’m renting, there is a tremendous native brookie creek in my backyard that I have about 3 miles worth of access to (thanks to my very kind neighbors). I am amazed it is not listed as class A, I’ve caught about half a dozen over 10” since I moved out here in March.

Hey send me your address and I will send you some free flies! No strings attached I swear!

Honestly, if you PM me I would happily send it to you to fish with me sometime. I’m new out here I’ll take all the friends I can get lol
Assuming you are around Dubois as your profile indicates, I will reach out to you next time I head to camp, which is near Benezette. I pass through there on the way, and I have a few spots of my own I can show you.

White River Rainbow-OR

Big Wood Rainbow- ID

and finally a

I'll never make this pursuit for myself, but I have caught the St. Joe Westslope, the Clearwater Headwaters Westslope, and the Salmon River Westy when I was buzzing around Idaho a few years back. Really liked the St. Joe River in particular.

Swattie-OR owl,

It’s been an incredible journey, one I didn’t even know I was on for years. It has taken me to places I would’ve never gone otherwise without the fish.

These places where trout/salmon live have been filled with incredible beauty I couldn’t imagine. Know it sounds a little dramatic, but that is the truth. These have been really adventures - fires, floods, downed trees, recalcitrant horses, wildlife, planes, broken down cars, long hikes, blazing heat and drought.

I was down to 3 fish now with increased awareness and advent of dna it’s back up to 11. Dang Westslope complex!

I look forward to being complete, It will be incredibly satisfying and personal to me.

I’m sure there’s other people I am just unaware of them, but I only know of one person in this country that has caught more species of Trout than me. If I catch these 11 and finish, I will caught more Trout than him. The hardest part is just getting there.

Last edited:
Back