Your 2024 Fly Fishing Ambitions

Sounds very familiar! I'm just kind of sorry that I wasn't able to immerse them in the wonderful world of fly-fishing. I think in the long run, chasing little fish, may have benefitted them and me more than a youth filled with soccer tournaments and high school basketball. Those days are gone, and I do miss them. Lots of great memories. Maybe there is still time. Anyone out there able to turn their kids into fly-fisherman, when they are older?
Still working on it. I have grandkids and a son in law to get involved, too!

Steve

My goal was to get out as much as possible especially in May and June. After a lifetime of fulltime work I finally, at age 63, was looking at having the time and enough money to consider spending a month or more just fishing. It looked like everything was falling together for this spring. Unfortunately I am now facing stage 4 cancer and multiple surgeries and chemo etc. so it is going to be unlikely. So it goes. Live your life. You never know what's around the corner.
Lousy break for you caddisflyer, I hope your doctors get control of it and you're back out there this coming spring. I know a little about what you're feeling, eleven months ago I was undergoing daily radiation treatments myself but I'm doing much better now and you will too.

COVID interrupted my decades long streak of week-long spells of the Rockies and sometimes California. I need to energize myself to get back to that. The spoiler in my drill is that I've worn out several ffishing buddies who would travel with me. I need to groom some new, younger ghillies.
Les, you are intriguing company. That should be easy. If no youngin's take, I'll go.

Catch a native brookie over 10 inches...
This goal shouldn't be too difficult to achieve, if you put the time in. I've lost track of the 10"+ natives I've caught over the years. Just a matter of fishing streams that actually have them that size. Best of luck in your quest.

My ambitions for the year are:
  • Fish more of central PA, Catskills, and NEPA
  • Fish the Little Juniata, for whatever reason I haven’t yet.
  • Go back to Maine.
  • Go out west? Montana??

1: Spend some time chasing Brookies in Shenandoah

2: Like to OP and others, lighten my load a little bit. I'll never not carry stuff I don't need but I'd like to shave a pound or two off my pack weight.

3: Be a better caster. I think I'm more than serviceable when it comes to casting but thinking back over the last couple of years, I don't think I've improved. Instead of working within my current skillset, I might want to take a few more casts to a spot after I've already put the hole down in the interest being better at the next hole.

2 goals this year.

Improve my casting and learn to double haul and shoot line for my Florida trips. I suck at it currently.

Fish more and start a journal to keep track of weather, time of year and patterns that produced. All to improve the consistency of catching fish not just fishing.

I would like to go striper fishing this year. That is something I have never done.

I will fish as often as I can without regard for keeping track of the number of times that may be. it is the enjoyment of doing it rather than the number of times it is done.

I’m a simple guy. I don’t have any fishing goals; I just fish whenever and wherever I want to, and usually at the best time night or day/ season/weather/flow or temp, or tide to do so and with the most effective gear/lure/bait for the species du jour given the aforementioned conditions.

Last edited:
My goal was to get out as much as possible especially in May and June. After a lifetime of fulltime work I finally, at age 63, was looking at having the time and enough money to consider spending a month or more just fishing. It looked like everything was falling together for this spring. Unfortunately I am now facing stage 4 cancer and multiple surgeries and chemo etc. so it is going to be unlikely. So it goes. Live your life. You never know what's around the corner.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Keep you head up and be positive.
I'm putting you and your family in my prayers.
i hope you will take a day when you feel up to it and go fishing with your family. Laugh and tell stories they will appreciate it as much as you.

I appreciate this post and all of the responses I find inspiring. My main goal last year was 50 days FF for trout. That goal was accomplished on Dec. 30. For 2024 I want to spend more time chasing native and wild trout, work on my tight-lining & keep exploring new water.

Really delve into this thing called Fly Fishing. I’ve messed around and caught a few on a fly rod but I still have tons to learn. A buddy and I purchased a Stealthcraft raft so I am looking forward to being able to do some floats with it.

Mine is more of a wish than a goal. It is to fish some water with some actual flow. All the creeks around me were lower than average for most of 2023, even in the spring. So sick of fishing in puddles!

Mine is more of a wish than a goal. It is to fish some water with some actual flow. All the creeks around me were lower than average for most of 2023, even in the spring. So sick of fishing in puddles!
I can echo that. I hope we get good summer time rains!

Low flows deterred me from doing some exploring some water I wanted to do last year so I'm hoping maybe get to them them in '24.

I want to fish with my oldest son. I haven't fished with him since before he moved to Maine a few years ago. He moved to PA this past fall (with our two grandsons) and is itching to get out. I've been fishing with his little brothers for a couple years, and I want to get out with all three of them. It will be a bonus if their grand-pap and my oldest grandson can come along with us.

I don't know where you live, or if my travels will take me anywhere close this year. I'm sure somebody on this board would be willing to drag you to the water and ghillie for you - if you're able to fish - even if it's only for an hour or so. If you're in the Harrisburg area, I'm there about once/month and try to get to Pine Creek Valley every spring. If it's close to the Loyalhanna near Ligonier, my springtime visits include taking the 80+ year old father-in-law fishing (sometimes he even wants to go).
Regards,

1. Explore Southern Tier of NY
2. Explore Northern Tier of PA
3. Fish DELMARVA more including all of the bays, inlets, coastal creeks and surf (started this in '23 and was reborn)
4. Finally move later in the year pending drop in interest rates.

Back