Yellow breaches fly shop!?!?

Unfortunately it looks like Bruce at Pens Creek Angler is not in the fly shop business anymore. I think the problem was he started up just as the recession took hold.

Fortunately, you're mistaken. He's actually expanded his shop based on what I've seen on his active facebook page.

But unfortunately, at least for a few of you it seems, he's now a full blown Orvis dealer.....though I have yet to see any pics of the dog beds on his feed.

tomitrout wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like Bruce at Pens Creek Angler is not in the fly shop business anymore. I think the problem was he started up just as the recession took hold.

Fortunately, you're mistaken. He's actually expanded his shop based on what I've seen on his active facebook page.

But unfortunately, at least for a few of you it seems, he's now a full blown Orvis dealer.....though I have yet to see any pics of the dog beds on his feed.

Where is his store front? Is he operating out of his place in Weikert?

EDIT: Looks like he just updated his WEB site and he is opening as an Orvis dealer in May. In Wiekert. Well it's good to see Bruce in business. I'll have to stop by the shop and see how it's going. It is good to have a shop on the east side of Penns. If it has to be Orvis I'll still visit.

Anyway, you'll find a lot of us "anti-TCO" types to be FFP fans. We didn't appreciate the SC location conveniently locating itself just down the street from a long established well loved shop in FFP, right between rt 322 and FFP's front door. I still don't appreciate that. And I am still an FFP fan.

I don't appreciate the fact that a WAWA moved down the street from a Sheetz either, but that is the way it goes. That is called competition. Take Bozeman, MT as an example. There are many fly shops in that city. So, the first fly shop that was ever open should be pissed at all the shops that have opened since? What a joke. There is enough business for more than one fly shop there. The same goes with State College.

Basically, FFP had a monopoly going and TCO saw that and decided to offer something else for the area. It seems like both shops are doing well so what is the big deal? I wish FFP well too and hope TCO and them stay in business for a long time.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
It's really all about image and merchandising (something the older small shops didn't do)...One more example of the triumph of style over content IMHO. Not my cup of tea.
Unfortunately, welcome to the modern world. If the older shops had a little more merchandising ability maybe they would still be around.
Can't wait for twenty years down the road when tco shuts it doors because they can't keep up with the latest trends.....

Troy wrote:

It seems like both shops are doing well so what is the big deal?

Both shops are still open.

But I wouldn't assume from that that both shops are "doing well."

I doubt that the term "doing well" really applies to ANY fly shop in PA.

It was never a great business. Too seasonal. And the internet and the chain big box stores have made it much worse than before. Which is why many of the fly shops that were around in the 1990s are now closed.

I don't appreciate the fact that a WAWA moved down the street from a Sheetz either, but that is the way it goes. That is called competition.

It's naïve of us to have this view, but many of us do. That local fly shops are not a cutthroat competitive industry. You got your local mom and pop shop in every area. That's why you won't find many criticize, say, TCO's Reading location, because they ARE the local fly shop of that area. And in the case of YB, it's not like they sent the old shop out of business or took them over in some sort of hostile takeover. The old shop shut down, THEN TCO came in to provide a good fly shop in an area that needed one.

There are LOTS of areas in PA that lack a decent fly shop at all. Yes, State College has a lot of fly fishing business and may be able to support 2 shops. We'll see. It's just a departure from the gentlemen's agreement that we fly fishermen like to imagine is some sort of "norm" in that industry.

Anyway, I'm not going to like boycott the entire TCO enterprise just because one business decision they made left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. If that were the case there'd hardly be a business left on earth that I'd feel comfortable supporting. TCO is a fine fly shop. They have their strengths and weaknesses like any other. But they certainly fulfill all the requirements that make us appreciate a local brick and mortar fly shop.

The whole "franchise" approach seems a little more corporate than the "Joe's fly shop" that we really want. But it's a heck of a lot closer to that than it is to Cabelas/Bass Pro/Gander Mtn type places that we rant about but spend our money at anyway!

I know a lot of guys like Jonas up in Coburn but he seemed to have an attitude the first time I went in there (right when he first opened) and I never got past that. So I rarely give him any business.

I like Jonas but admit he's a little hard to read sometimes. I like the shop, though. It has the right "atmosphere" for a fly shop. And of course, it's convenient to the upper end of Penns. Maybe I'll have to give the guy in Weikert a shot, I never been in his old shop but it's a pretty good hike from the areas of Penns I frequent most, as is the new one.

Sheetz > Wawa NO REBUTTAL

I don't think the success of a local fly shop has a lot to do with where they're located. If I was opening a fly shop it would be located where people live, not where they fish.

Part of the problem is the type of fly shop many of us want doesn't exist. We want an old building owned by an old experienced flyfisherman and renowned tier who has a bunch of trout bums working and hanging around, has a complete stock of everything at bargain prices. Offers sage advice on all local streams and serves up free coffee as well. Is open at 5:00 AM in the morning and seven days a week. Also has a WEB store with free shipping along with a WEB blog and online stream reports. And sells flies tied by the staff at $0.39 each.

I only want an honest business who stands behind what they sell and say. And I don't even worry that much about prices. I don't care if it's a shiny new place or a shack. Oddly enough I've had better service from Bass Pro and Cabelas than TCO. And as I said I wanted to use TCO.... The Dettes in New York are the old style shop and have been around for many years and they just do what they do. They have stream reports etc. but their main business is flies and good service. They are of course, rightly famous. The NEW AMERICANS love all the hot shot, horn tooting, self promotion and web presence associated with a place like TCO. Yeah, you can't argue with success and of course it's the new business model....blah, blah, blah. No thank you.

franklin wrote:
Part of the problem is the type of fly shop many of us want doesn't exist. We want an old building owned by an old experienced flyfisherman and renowned tier who has a bunch of trout bums working and hanging around, has a complete stock of everything at bargain prices. Offers sage advice on all local streams and serves up free coffee as well. Is open at 5:00 AM in the morning and seven days a week. Also has a WEB store with free shipping along with a WEB blog and online stream reports. And sells flies tied by the staff at $0.39 each.

^ there ya go!

Here's some sage advice:

If you like a shop, buy your stuff there.

If you don't like a shop, don't shop there.

If someone else likes that second shop...so what.

Haha, yeah. And we want the owner to ALWAYS be at the shop, but somehow fish his local water everyday as well so he's up to date on what's happening out there.

If I was opening a fly shop it would be located where people live, not where they fish.

To be fair, in terms of money spent, putting where I live is better. For bigger purchases that they make the most money off of, they don't need to be at my destination.

But, in those situations I can always wait and/or order.

Where I value the brick and mortar store is at my destination. Cause when I'm on day 3 of a 5 day trip and my 5x tippet spool suddenly is empty and I'm out of the hatch du jour and don't have time to waste my vacation tying, I need to restock. Soon. And preferably on my way to the stream again.

I am really sick and tired of people whining and crying on this forum. People whined when Rowland managed the store and there wasn't crap for inventory. Now you're all whining because of a $250 dog bed and expensive clothing? I have been to the new store many times now and have purchased a good amount of materials and I believe their fly tying prices are very good. Their flies are priced between $2-2.50 which is typical of a new fly shop. Now, I do agree that the old shop was a bit more "cozy", but this still isn't all that bad. Also, the folks that work there are very helpful and I have talked to Jake and Dusty there and they're great. What I'm trying to say is first of all, who buys their dog's bed at a fly shop? And unless you have to show off to your buddies, don't buy the expensive clothing.
Which would you rather have, a shop that has basically nothing in stock and is 20 cents cheaper, or a shop that has basically everything you could need in stop for a few cents more?
Make up your mind.
Breech

How about open 24/7 with a drive thru and neon hatch chart of the local waters that changes hourly. I would also like a discount card to attach to my keychain to save $0.03 per fly.

Wailing and gnashing of teeth from either side of the issue aside...I was in (to the YB TCO) on 3/6 (on my way home from the Lancaster show, as it happened) and personally I thought that for a fly shop, their tying selection was downright skimpy, given the size of the building...same reaction to their fly line selection. In contrast, I was expecting/hoping for something more in line with the selection at their other locations, Reading especially, but even more, given the size of the space they have to work with at YB. Unfortunately, the breakdown seems to be about 20% tying, 20% lines, leaders, gear, flies, 10% rods, 10% boots & waders, and 40% shirts, hats, and non-fishing-related camping gear.

Granted, they're a damn sight better than most Orvis "Outdoor Lifestyle shops that happen to have some fly tying stuff in the back" (not that all Orvis shops are like this, but you all know the type), but for what I thought would be more of a "fly first" place, I was surprised at the square footage given over to non-fly generalized camping/outdoor gear. Not necessarily a positive or a negative for me, so long as the gear & tying sections are there too...and just based on the all or nothing "Is it better than no shop at all?", I guess that having the tying stuff they do is better than nothing...but if "better than nothing" is the sole criteria upon which a shop is rated, then one's bar is set far lower than mine.

If they're planning *significant* expansion in terms of the materials they stock, I'll withhold judgment until I've given them a second visit (likely sometime this summer). If it's not significantly better though, there's little to attract me back there. Nothing wrong with the approach they seem to be taking, but for my needs/wishes, there's just not enough in the way of tying selection to get me to make it a stop on any trip I may make from the western to the central part of the state.

Again they are also trying to capitalize on proximity to the AT, hence all the non-fishing related camping gear.

Do they have a shop dog? That's really important to me. Have to have a friendly retriever of some sort that gets up to greet you, slobbers all over you and leaves you covered in fur in order to have the right atmosphere.

It's funny to me for people to be complaining about the cost of individual flies. I'm guessing the guy who price shops individual flies tied by 9 year olds in bengladesh isn't going to affect the shop's bottom line. He'll drop his annual 75 bucks for 100 foreign flies from someone else online. (I'm assuming, as is the case with most fly shops the vast majority of the flies are of this variety).

A question for anyone in the business, do shops take in more money on flies or tying materials? Maybe I'm wrong in assuming tying materials generate more revenue.

Moon,
I agree flies make up a very small portion of revenue.
What I find funny about what you are saying is the flip side. Complaining about 2 bucks a fly? Trying buying a fully dressed articulated streamer if you can find one.

Guys who fish tricos and caddis can drop their 75 bucks a year, get by and do fine. They likely spend tons more over their lifetime instead of learning to tie them for themselves.

Then there are guys like me, dedicated hardcore streamer fisherman. I could drop money on pre-tied articulated junk streamers but they never fully dress the streamer or they use total crap hooks. Instead I tie my own so I can weight them as I like, dress them fully, or make little subtle changes to configuration (like hook placement) etc etc. In the end, after thread, hooks, fish skulls, barbell eyes, lead, shanks, all the feathers, wool, deer hair, craft fur, marabou etc etc..... I spend a ton more than buying them from Indonesian kids that do basket weaving on the side.

Totally worth it too.

McSneek wrote:
Do they have a shop dog?

Yes, and he's a real sweet pup - right there to greet you at the door (just as a classic fly shop dog should be). Can't recall the dog's name, but he seems like a goodie.

Sal, agreed all around.

Back