woollybugger swap ever done?

Thanks to DJ for hosting and to all the folks that tied them up. They look great. I was looking at them last night and thought all the variations were cool. I never every buy buggers or even look at them in the fly shop. I saw some colors and color combos that i never tie up. Thanks for the flies and the ideas.

I am headed up to camp this weekend to do some sledding and just might sneak out early and try a few out.

Is someone taking pics this time? I like being able to put the fly to a name...

All:

I am always willing to host the swap pictures and recipes along with all the others. What I need is JPEG or GIF images, no larger than about 400 pixels in width. Each image should be identified so I can pair it with the recipe/instructions and tier's name.

The recipes and/or instructions should be typed simply with no formatting and sent electronically (e-mail) so I can cut and paste to create the page. I also like to have the tier specify how his or her name should read: i.e., "Happyhackle" or "John Doe" or "Happyhackle (John Doe)" etc.

When someone gets this together, send me a PM and I'll tell you what e-mail address to send everything to.

I took most of the pictures this morning. I will send the pictures with the recipes that I got. Still need a few recipes from the following:

Cambyses
Tabasco_Joe
Jaybo41
PennsCreek
Bruno

Thanks again for another great swap!

recipe sent!!

Thank you to DJ and JackM for all your efforts

and thank you to all the tiers, The flies look great and have made the cabin fever that much worse!

Bob

Got my flies yesterday. DJ, thanks for coordinating this!

Tom

I got a postage due!! LOL I put the $0.31 on the mail slip. I guess I'll see them Monday.

I put two stamps on my return envelope, but I guess some were heavier than my buggers.

Fly swaps are wonderful.

Spring is just around the corner.

I'm new to tying. How does a swap work? Everyone ties their own flies, sends them to DJ or Jack and they take a picture to post the recipe online? Are the flies redistributed? Sounds interesting, just need to know how this works.

Thanks

jpb,

you tie a fly for everyone involved in the swap, the swap master gets them, and sends one of each pattern to all of the participants. I got one bugger from everyone that tied.

Awesome, I'm gonna have to try to get in the next one.

jpb,

This was my first fly swap and it has been very rewarding. I have only been tying for about 10 months now and I won't lie I was a bit nervous about tying for other enthusiasts, but it was easy and a lot of fun to get everyone else's patterns.

Bob

BTW here is my pattern for the Chilli Pepper woolly which comes from Woolly Wisdom by Gary Soucie.

Hook: Size 8 to 12 3x long streamer
Head: Brass bead sized to hook
Weight: 10 wraps of 0.025 lead wire
Thread: Fire Orange 6/0
Tail: Burnt Orange maribou with a few strands of copper Krystal Flash
Body: Copper tinsel chenille
Palmered Hackle: Furnace Hackle

The Chilli Pepper looks awesome, I've seen them online, but never had one. Can't wait to try it and tie some too.

I also like what I believe to be tomgamber's bugger. Interesting tail on that one. Looks like a variation of a wooly worm I tie, but with the flash tail instead.

That's why I'm eager to see the pics and names together..I mean, I assume I know most of whats what but...

Can't wait to see the other ties. I just hope the postage I included was enough.
tabasco_joe wrote:
Has there ever been woollybugger swap? Looks like Jack's site is temporarily off line so I couldn't check.

I hope my buggers are at the post office tomorrow, can't wait to see all of them. Thanks to all you guys.

Here is the material list.

Hook: Size 2 4x streamer

Large silver cone head. I epoxied them in place. Not at all necessary, I was experimenting some.

Tail: Black Marabou with a few strands of black Krystal Flash on each side.

Body: Black Chenille, or crystal. I had some stuff with a little bit of flash in it.

Hackle: Disco Yarn, palmered heavily and then trimmed. It is not necessary to tie in a rib as far as securing the "hackle" goes.

Collar: Big, webby grizzly hackle and then lots of red thread wraps. I made the red wraps that way to get some red in the fly.

Many of the big fish that we catch on the Yellowstone and Madison rivers are caught on big, any color, buggers. I really like black though. I very often tie mine real heavy. The flies for the swap are not weighted, except for the cone head.

A very effective way to fish these big buggers is to drop a soft hackle about 18" off it. Use the weight of the bugger to get that soft hackle down deep. Many, many big trout are caught not on the bugger, but on the soft hackle dropper. The big, heavy fly gets the soft hackle deep and when the line begins to tighten the soft hackle does the killer lift and swing.

This does work on Pa streams. The first time I fished this rig on Penns it was like night and day. Standard nymphing was working ok, but the method above worked so well that I gave my spot up to a few guys that were having trouble and rigged two of them up. They then went into the pool and slammed some fish.

Good luck. I will take all your buggers fishing and hopefully post some of the fish they caught. It may be warm enought to fish the Yellowstone this week, so I should get to break some in.

One more thought. The discussion about tippet size a while ago made me want to suggest using no smaller than 3x for this bugger. We chuck 'em with 1x and the fish do not care. I have seen guys loose their big flies just simply casting them with 4 or 5x. We use 1x on the bugger and 3x for the droppers. The hits on the droppers are often very hard.

jaybo41 wrote:
The Chilli Pepper looks awesome, I've seen them online, but never had one. Can't wait to try it and tie some too.

I'm thinking that might work well on streams that have crawfish. I've been using that for a few months now but still have caught more on dark colors and even on the crystal ice bugger. Anyway it does look cool and fits with the "Tabasco" name.

flybop wrote:
I hope my buggers are at the post office tomorrow, can't wait to see all of them. Thanks to all you guys.

Here is the material list.

Hook: Size 2 4x streamer

Large silver cone head. I epoxied them in place. Not at all necessary, I was experimenting some.

Tail: Black Marabou with a few strands of black Krystal Flash on each side.

Body: Black Chenille, or crystal. I had some stuff with a little bit of flash in it.

Hackle: Disco Yarn, palmered heavily and then trimmed. It is not necessary to tie in a rib as far as securing the "hackle" goes.

Collar: Big, webby grizzly hackle and then lots of red thread wraps. I made the red wraps that way to get some red in the fly.

Many of the big fish that we catch on the Yellowstone and Madison rivers are caught on big, any color, buggers. I really like black though. I very often tie mine real heavy. The flies for the swap are not weighted, except for the cone head.

A very effective way to fish these big buggers is to drop a soft hackle about 18" off it. Use the weight of the bugger to get that soft hackle down deep. Many, many big trout are caught not on the bugger, but on the soft hackle dropper. The big, heavy fly gets the soft hackle deep and when the line begins to tighten the soft hackle does the killer lift and swing.

This does work on Pa streams. The first time I fished this rig on Penns it was like night and day. Standard nymphing was working ok, but the method above worked so well that I gave my spot up to a few guys that were having trouble and rigged two of them up. They then went into the pool and slammed some fish.

Good luck. I will take all your buggers fishing and hopefully post some of the fish they caught. It may be warm enought to fish the Yellowstone this week, so I should get to break some in.

One more thought. The discussion about tippet size a while ago made me want to suggest using no smaller than 3x for this bugger. We chuck 'em with 1x and the fish do not care. I have seen guys loose their big flies just simply casting them with 4 or 5x. We use 1x on the bugger and 3x for the droppers. The hits on the droppers are often very hard.

I'm gonna tie some up and give em a try on Penns later this year. After I saw the picture you posted I was wondering if I had enough postage on the envolope. Prior to the swap I was planning on shortening my woolly list in the fly box but now I have many (too many?) interseting patterns to consider.

I received my package today. Wow! really neat buggers.

This is just what I needed. In a couple days I'm going to purchase a quality rotating vice and some better tying stuff.

This winter cabin fever has me thinking like a crazy man! After Pads' last post, I was thinking of putting some fresh 2lb mono on my Ultra Light spin rod......... and using live minnows! LOL ....... not that that's a bad thing! But........ I would rather catch two trout with my self made flies and my long rod than catch fifty with my spin rod.

Some of these buggers really put my buggers to shame. I'll have to make a couple adjustments.

Question: What would you guys reccommend for a good rotating vice? If I have to spend a couple beans, so be it. I'll probably keep it for a long time.

Back