What's your tying setup look like?

Teaching 'em to tie early! I like it, GM!

I cleaned up lastnight...

wood table is good for beer drinking and tying... fit 4 people
pegboard holds a bunch... and all out of use stuff is in boxes

d18ef90b.jpg

Close up on my tying table

dd8aa8d4.jpg

Here is mine! Well this is how it looked last year. Kind of messy now. :)

Attachments

• Tying desk 1.JPG
    Tying desk 1.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Tying desk 2.JPG
    Tying desk 2.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 2
5455607404_7f7e4a6853.jpg

Something to be said for occassionally moving the tying station to a new view.

Waspi dubbing wax? I digress.

I've been lazy, I also never ordered tubes nor have i found a dirt cheap pot in a dollar store or second hand shop.

I finally broke out the Overton's Heritage gave me awhile back, and yeah, there's no damned comparision to the Waspi "Premium Dubbing Wax." None.

I bought some Loon HiTak and it's quite nice, not gonna lie.

Since I have the day off and the streams are blown out, I figured I tidy up the bench and take a few photos.

peace-tony c.

Wow... I carry all my materials and tools in a cardboard box and take them out and set up on the kitchen table HA. I need a set up like one of these pictured. Great stuff here, guess I need to clean out the spare room!

Figure I would post the awesome Tying table that Jdaddy made for me and Ha finished with some hardware. It's beautiful and already a mess! Thanks Jdizzle and HA!

Attachments

• Tying Table.jpg
    Tying Table.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1
Nate, I did that for years before I found this table at a second-hand store for $35. Pulling everything out each time to tie was a pain in the rear, plus I couldn't walk away from it or the cat would start playing with the feathers. A table with a closing top works great for me as I can close it up if I need to leave the bench for a while.

peace-tony c.

Nice! I don't have to worry about the cat (although I do steal some hair from him for dubbing :p) but my flippin' kids (2yrs and 2 months) are either trying to play with my tying stuff or they want my attention and I don't get anything done. Maybe I should set up shop in the attic!

Buy a big tool box, makes life way easier. Also, lockable!

amazing facilities you guys have. I fish for mountain brookies, so I think about maps more than flies, but here's my "vise" and setup ($12 in tools & materials) for fast first tie of super hi viz winter worms. eat your hearts out :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661054@N00/5514909864/

k-bob wrote:
amazing facilities you guys have. I fish for mountain brookies, so I think about maps more than flies, but here's my "vise" and setup ($12 in tools & materials) for fast first tie of super hi viz winter worms. eat your hearts out :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661054@N00/5514909864/

I'm sorry, but a rusty adjustable wrench clearly doesn't have enough snob appeal to be able to tie a san juan worm for trout. Please come back when you've spent at least $300 on a vise that appears to have been borne from the space program.

Although, the vast utility and appeal is pretty astounding. Tie the flies, fix your car, and priest teh fish all with one multitool.

gfen. it was sorta fun, I just didn't see bright enough worms to see in moving tannic water. pipe insulation seems to be a good fly holder, and it won't break the budget, either.

I just got finished with her. I like woodworing too so sometimes it gets hard to choose what to do... Really enjoy looking at the other set ups as well you guys got some great ideas!!

Attachments

• fly table.JPG
    fly table.JPG
    488.2 KB · Views: 1
Whats a good way to get kick started in tying? Can't ask a store guy cause the Cabela's guys say their kit, the Orvis guys say theirs. Where should I start when I have a very very small budget for this?

Skip the kit.

Buy some quality, but low cost, tools.

Then, buy the materials you need for the flies you know you want to start with, the stuff you're gonna use constantly. Start there.

As you feel creative, add more stuff.

Ergo, you need a vise, a bobbin (go ceramic), scissors, head cement, bodkin, and probably a whip finisher (materelli style is generally easier for most).

Look at the flies you lose the most, I'll bet its simple nymphs (hare's ear and pheasant tails), buggers, and some sort of dry fly.

Skip the dry out of the gate, you'll make him as an advanced lesson. Start with the former. Buy the stuff you need. Some lead, some beads, wire the feathers and the hooks for the sizes you need. A colour or two of usable thread.

Go crazy, gives you an excuse to do bi-weekly runs to the tying shop, buying the things you need for the next pattern.

-or-

Buy a kit, use half of the stuff, replace a quarter of the stuff in the first six months, and never use the final quarter. However, you'll have a raft of things to try and use and thus won't be limited. I did this method despite everyone telling me to do it the other way, I wish I'd have listened, but it turned out just fine.

For the former, try a smaller shop that won't try to jam $100 vises and $20-per Wasatch tools down your throat, for the kit, either works, I started with a $80ish Cabela's kit, I think.

FishingFreak wrote:
I just got finished with her. I like woodworing too so sometimes it gets hard to choose what to do... Really enjoy looking at the other set ups as well you guys got some great ideas!!

I like the live edge desk and shelf. Top needs some figure though! Quarter sewn white oak!

Back